Best Masters Of Horror episode?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by KillerCannabis, Jan 28, 2006.

?

Favorite episode?

1. Incident On And Off A Mountain Road

10.3%
  2. Dreams In The Witch House

10.3%
  3. Dance Of The Dead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jenifer

17.2%
  5. Chocolate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Homecoming

6.9%
  7. Deer Woman

5.2%
  8. Cigarette Burns

34.5%
  9. Fair-Haired Child

1.7%
  10. Sick Girl

6.9%
  11. Pick Me Up

1.7%
  12. Haeckel's Tale

5.2%
  1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

All right. I finally saw a couple more eps: Sick Girl & Pick Me Up.

I LOVED!!!!!! Sick Girl!!!!! Angela Bettis + Misty Mundae(Erin Brown) + Lucky McKee= Godliness. Still quite a battle between Incident and Sick Girl for my favourite ep. Angela Bettis being all quirky and odd vs a spiffy-looking bad guy and a great, strong heroine. The ending for Sick Girl was a little obvious but it was pretty much the way it had to go so that's cool. Incident wasn't too original but it looked amazing, kept things moving, and had a resourceful main character rather than some idiot that just runs around screaming all the time. I can't decide which one I love more....

Pick Me Up was fun. It wasn't the best ep but I had a real big grin on my face watching it anyway.

So far I've seen Incident, Sick Girl, Homecoming, Pick Me Up, and Chocolate (Die! Die! Die!). I'm hoping that the rest are as good as what I've seen so far (except Chocolate, DIE DIE DIE).

2. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Coscarelli's and Gordon's episodes are probably the best ones, whereas all the rest ranges from mediocre to atrocious, with McWeeny's tepid offering being either on the very bottom or very close to it... the Paul W. S. Anderson quality level, either way.

3. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Love Argento and love Jenifer!! On the other end of the spectrum, I absolutely hated Chocolate and Homecoming! Neither had a place in a series called Masters of Horror!

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I was a real late-comer to this series since I've never had and still don't have Showtime. But now that I've seen all the episodes, I am even more interested in this series than I was before. I'm very glad I didn't let Pro-Life and The Screwfly Solution sour me on the first season, which I heard a lot of people say was great compared to the second season. So since I am a late-comer, I don't feel bad about sort-of bumping these threads.

My rank might change a little bit over time, but:

1. Sick Girl
    2. Fair Haired Child
    3. Jenifer
    4. Deer Woman
    5. Dance of the Dead
    6. Cigarette Burns
    7. Imprint
    8. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
    9. Homecoming
    10. Haekel's Tale
    11. Pick Me Up
    12. Chocolate
    13. Dreams In the Witch-House

Sick Girl and Fair Haired Child are almost like twins for this series. If you want something more old fashioned, Fair Haired Child is more traditional. Sick Girl is progressive. I gave Sick Girl the edge because it had a few less flaws than FHC and I think progressive works for this series. But both were shot like the directors were trying to prove themselves, which they both were since McKee's Woods was awful and Malone hadn't directed a great movie yet. And people may see this series more for the established directors getting new material out, but these episodes are so good, they prove that this series is one of the most important things the genre's got going for it. If this format can be done right, it can outshine any other crap coming out in feature length form. I mean, what are it's competition? Rob Zombie's Halloween? Behind the Mask: Rise of Leslie Vernon? 400,000 more remakes, prequels, and direct to video sequels?

I thought Jenifer was the movie to put Argento back on the map as a great horror director. It's probably the best thing he's done since Stendhal, though I haven't seen Sleepless yet. I've never been able to explain to myself why Jenifer works so well. But it really does.

Deer Woman was really right in line with the kind of horror Landis finds funny. It only half-worked, but the half that worked made you ignore most of the half that didn't. But you got to love scene with the fantasy deer killing scenarios. And there was the requisite amount of BOO! scares. The door one was kind of obvious but the window one scared the crap out of me.

Dance of the Dead is definitely misunderstood. The thing that hurt the episode, other than Robert Englund's overacting, was the extended ending at the Doom Room. However, before that, this episode had almost everything going for it. It was fast-paced and very effective in what it tried to do. I know a lot of people didn't like that, but it worked on me and I think I have the lowest tolerance for all things bad. The story was here and there, but the camera and editing tricks really helped to mask that. If you're willing to try to get into it, only the Robert Englund pushes you out of it. Until the ending though, which is admittedly quite awful. The image of the dancing dead is not as disturbing as I'm sure Hooper thinks it is and the resolution doesn't feel authentic whatsoever. But that beginning at the diner and that scene in the speeding car had me hooked. And so little in horror today actually does that for me. I had to give this episode credit where I believe it's due.

Cigarette Burns relied too much on the ridiculous idea (even John Carpenter said on the DVD that he thinks it's absolute bullshit too) that this movie can make anyone go crazy and kill people. So maybe... he should never have shown us images from it. Almost everyone gives a 110% performance to try and sell this idea about this movie, but then we see images from it and... let's be honest... if Cannibal Holocaust and Faces of Death didn't do it, there's no way the stuff we see in La Fin Absolue Du Monde could. But of course, I'll give Carpenter the credit he deserves and say that if you disregard what we see of the film and the half-realized stuff about the OD-victim girlfriend, this is probably his best, most visionary, and most satisfying horror film since The Fog. Also want to plug the DVD for a second, on the Working with a Master featurette, I think the interviewees explain surprisingly well why The Thing and Christine didn't work, even though they are affectionate for them.

Imprint may require 40 more viewings to understand. I'm starting to get sick of thinking about it. I'll try to say quickly - Billy Drago's performance and character were awful and the torture scene went way too far. All that over a stupid ring? And yeah, I'm an ignorant American, I couldn't tell this was a period film.

After that, the episodes kind of speak for themselves. Incident was underwhelming but looked great and I also liked the music score a lot. Confusing ending, too. Homecoming disappointed me. I wanted the Republicans' and pro-war people's blood and gore shed wall-to-wall. Joe Dante really seems to have lost his nerve in horror, he's deluding himself if he thinks emotions will make more of a statement these days than extreme violence, which yeah may never have been his specialty, but at least if he had done that there would have been a point to it. Unlike all the Saw films... Haekel's Tale was boring and predictable (surprisingly, since John McNaughton says on the DVD that he turns down most horror scripts he gets because he finds them predictable), but I gave it the edge over the last three because at least the ending went all-out. Which I appreciate. Great twist. Pick Me Up was an ingenius idea for a slasher or serial killer themed film that should have been extraordinary but instead was very routine. The dialogue did all the work and the production couldn't keep up. This is also a good example of a very bad twist ending.

And then, of course, there's Chocolate. Which kind of proves that Mick Garris, no matter how much I liked Sleepwalkers, never had much talent with storytelling in the genre to begin with. He's let the made-for-TV format take his spark away. And now all he knows how to do is shoot impressive visuals. Which I'll admit, Chocolate shows. And... Dreams In the Witch-House felt wrong. Completely wrong. Everything about it bothered me. Except the old guy, Mazurwitz (or whoever).

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I've had both seasons of this show (As well as Fear Itself) for a while and just finally got around to finishing the first season. I must say, I was really impressed with this show and can't wait to watch the second season. If it's even half as good then I'll be happy. I found something to like in almost every episode. Here is my list from best to worst.

1. Cigarette Burns
    2. Deer Woman
    3. Dreams in the Witch House
    4. Jenifer
    5. Haeckel's Tale
    6. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
    7. Chocolate
    8. Fair-Haired Child
    9. Pick Me Up
    10. Imprint
    11. Sick Girl
    12. Dance of the Dead
    13. Homecoming

I really loved the first 4 on my list and am glad to see that all of those Directors are back for Season 2. I'll throw up my list for that when i finish it, hopefully timelier then the first Season. I will also throw up my list for Fear Itself as for some reason I watched that first and only have one episode of it left. So far I am not as impressed as I was with Masters, although there are a few stand out episodes to be found.

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

spawningblue, id say im down with your list. i might shuffle a few things up or down by one or two, but the only major disagreements i'd have with your list would be chocolate, sick girl, and homecoming. chocolate would be down near the very bottom, sick girl by the very top, and homecoming more middle-ish.

as far as the second season goes, it IS, in fact, about half as good as the first. from what i remember, the good and bad were split pretty much right down the middle with that season. half of it was really great, while the other half was pretty damn bad.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Thanks for the info about Season 2, sounds like it will at least be worth the time.

As for your switches on the list. What can I say, I am not a fan of Lucky McKee's quirky and weird characters played by Angela Bettis. I know a lot of people seem to enjoy that about his films but I just find them annoying. Who is like that, really!? Well I'm sure there are people like that, but no one I would want to be around. Guess that's why I also disliked Ginger Snaps which everyone seems to love. Characters were just too weird and annoying for me.

And Homecoming just didn't do anything for me. I am not politically leaned either way so that didn't bother me, but the whole premise just didn't do anything for me. It wasn't funny, it wasn't scary, it wasn't gory, not sure what it was trying to be?

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You never knew any kids with speech impediments?

But you're right- no one is really like that. That could have been the point. But at least it was different. Damn- this genre is fucking being killed by the same thing all the time. I'd rather have a quirky character than the cast of Cabin Fever in every fucking North American movie that comes out. Variety keeps the horror genre fresh.

In that case, I'm glad you see your view as an isolated one. I actually knew people like Ginger and Bridgitte though.

Aw fuck. I didn't make that list - did I? :eek1:

I still think Witch-House sucks big time. And I don't know what kind of stuff you people are smoking that actually gave that lame, boring, dumb, unfunny TURKEY more votes than the amazing Sick Girl. But my list is in definite need of an update!

1. Sick Girl
    2. Cigarette Burns
    3. Fair Haired Child
    4. Jenifer
    5. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
    6. Dance of the Dead (sorry everyone, but I really liked it)
    7. Pick Me Up
    8. Imprint
    9. Deer Woman
    10. Homecoming
    11. Haekel's Tale
    12. Chocolate
    13. Dreams In the Witch-House

And about "Homecoming" ... I don't know if I said this already (I must have, I'd have been crazy not to) ... but Thea Gill absolutely killed it. It could have been great. The rest of the cast was fabulous. But damn, she was terrible. And that "laugh" ... Can you call that a laugh? I didn't know they were playing her as a 1-drink lush. I know alcoholics and damn it, she's at least 5 martinis behind where she'd need to be to start the Courtney Love routine: swinging around in her chair, spreading her legs because she's hot down there, slovenly flailing about, and screeching laughs and howls in front of everyone.

9. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Incident On And Off A Mountain Road followed by Cigarette Burns.