Best Masters of Horror Season 2 Episode

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Aug 2, 2008.

?

Which was your favorite MOH Season 2 Episode?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2008.
  1. Brad Anderson’s “Sounds Like”

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Dario Argento’s “Pelts”

20 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. John Carpenter’s “Pro-Life”

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Joe Dante’s “The Screwfly Solution”

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Ernest Dickerson’s “The V Word”

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Mick Garris’ “Valerie on the Stairs”

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Stuart Gordon’s “The Black Cat”

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  8. Tobe Hooper’s “The Damned Thing”

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. Tom Holland’s “We All Scream for Ice Cream”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. John Landis’ “Family”

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  11. Rob Schmidt’s “Right to Die”

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  12. Norio Tsuruta’s “Dream Cruise”

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Peter Medak’s “The Washingtonians”

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

There were 13 episodes last season from some pretty big names. With the complete season now released on DVD, which one is your favorite?

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Stuart Gordon’s The Black Cat was my favorite by far. Pelts and Family were also excellent, and The V Word and Sounds Like were OK. Also thought Right to Die was surprisingly insidious and I probably think of it more than any of the others.

The rest I thought were awful, with Pro-Life leading the suck parade.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2008
  3. th3480

th3480 New Member

Pro-Life

I have to disagree with the previous poster. Besides being one of the most utterly disgusting MOH episodes thus far, the episode "Pro-Life" deserves to be voted #1 for one single reason:

Ron freakin' Pearlman, baby.

P.S. I thought "Black Cat" was 'stinky,' but you don't hear me complaining...oh, wait...crap.

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Pelts gets my vote, with The Black Cat coming in at a close second. Family and Sounds Like were really good as well. Still haven't seen the last couple of episodes from the season.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Only seen 4: Pelts, Dream Cruise, The Black Cat, and The Screwfly Solution. Also have Family and Right to Die in my unwatched pile.

Still, even with an non-representative sample like that, I'm confidently selecting The Screwfly Solution, as it's the best of the 4 I've seen, as well as being better than all the Season 1 episodes I've seen too. Great stuff, should have been a feature length movie, really.

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I've only seen Brad Anderson’s “Sounds Like”, Dario Argento’s “Pelts”, John Carpenter’s “Pro-Life”, Joe Dante’s “The Screwfly Solution”, Ernest Dickerson’s “The V Word”, Tobe Hooper’s “The Damned Thing”, and John Landis’ “Family”.

Of those I didn't really like Pro-Life, The Damned Thing, or Pelts (ie. I strongly disliked them). Sounds Like was OK. Family and The V Word had some great moments and Screwfly was excellent. I'm assuming I'll be voting for Screwfly because the likelihood of it being surpassed is minimal, but I'll wait till I've seen all the eps before voting.

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Most of the season 2 episodes were awful, and I mean really awful. As painful as some of those episodes were, however, it was worth wading through them to get to the likes of The Screwfly Solution, Pelts, Sounds Like and Family.

The Screwfly Solution gets my vote. I didn't like Dante's season 1 ep, but he completely redeemed himself with this incredible contribution to season 2.

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Agreed! The Screwfly Solution was the best episode of both seasons combined. Joe Dante could have easily turned this into a stand alone full length feature and held audience interest. The story was intense and I actually cared about the characters.

Pro-Life on the other hand was the absolute worst of the bunch! Won't be giving that episode a second chance.

9. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I felt season 2 was a step down from the first. I went with Family, which I really enjoyed. I liked The Screwfly Solution and Pelts lots, too, but they were a big step down from the S1 episodes those directors had done.

Carpenter's Pro-Life was the missed opportunity of the entire series. It should have been unforgettable.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Went with SOUNDS LIKE though FAMILY and PELTS were contenders.I really disliked PRO LIFE,odd,as I thought Carpenter's CIGARETTE BURNS was one of season 1's best.Overall I liked season 1 better than two,though both have been better than FEAR ITSELF (so far).

11. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

For some reason I really enjoyed The Washingtonians, even though it was very cheesy. I think the idea was just a hoot, and I was consistently entertained throughout. This one and Pick Me Up from the 1st season are the only ones I have bought so far, although I want to get Cigarette Burns as that is the best episode I have seen.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'll be able to vote when I get the boxset. But as for Fear Itself... ha ha! 2 of the FI episodes so far are vastly superior to any of the films from Masters of Horror's 2nd season that I've seen.

What?! The Screwfly Solution was not just a mediocre episode, but one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. It was like watching one of the greatest horror directors (true, he'd only made 4.5 horror features in 27 years prior to this series, but they were all masterpieces) willfully destroying his entire legacy. Not just because he didn't deliver a great 1-hour film for the series. But because he was afraid to make a true horror film. Screwfly was an extraordinarily weak sci-fi / thriller film that not only felt like sad and lacking content made-for-TV, but it also didn't have any real bite, I didn't care about the characters, I didn't feel any fear for anyone, and... well, the only thing I truly appreciated about the episode (well, other than the fairly intense "even the Devil quotes scripture" character in the prison cell), was the ending that everyone else hated.

Joe Dante, one of the most acidic and sharp filmmakers in the entire genre... has gone Vanilla. I almost feel like saying... his liberal point of view is making him afraid to indulge in the kind of violence needed in a film like Screwfly to give it a sense of true realism.

And the first season produced at least 5 better films than Screwfly. Especially Sick Girl, Cigarette Burns, The Fair Haired Child, and Jenifer. Not to mention Incident On and Off a Mountain Road and Pick Me Up also offered more in the way of satisfactory content than Screwfly and actually felt more like horror films.

13. agentc

agentc Member

Put me down for "Screwfly Solution" as well. This was easily the best of both seasons, very cinematic and intense. An excellent return to form for Dante with this.

I must admit, looking back at MOH it was pretty good for the most part, even the more average episodes were enjoyable except for the awful Dance of the dead from season 1 and dream cruise from season 2. I will give FI a go but I would have rather had a MOH 3.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Pelts it is!

15. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

The Black Cat has a different look than the other episodes. This really made it stand out for me. Family and Pro-Life round out my top three.

16. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Valerie on the Stairs was my favorite. I'm always up for Clive Barker stories. I found the story to be quite interesting.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Even though The Screwfly Solution had a Message and a Moral, both with capital Ms, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. By far the scariest MoH episode of the two seasons. Goes to show that horror can wear its substance on its sleeve without it having to suck. (Although, obviously, some of you don't agree ...)

I also really enjoyed Family and The Black Cat was a whole lotta fun! I was very disappointed with Argento's Pelts, but I should give it another shot ...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

watched Right to Die last night. That one was a stinker. I wonder if it got positive reviews here just due to the nasty skinning scene. Other than that, when I want "ripped from the headlines", I'll just watch Law and Order.

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape you get anytime someone on this forum does not share your views. :sleepy:

20. Caspar2112

Caspar2112 New Member

MOH Season 2

I thought Carpenter was trying for some real Playful Irony in PRO LIFE but the characters could not pull it off(dialogue mainly) but the actors did the best with what they had. Pearlman was great though, I agree. Stuart Gordons BLACK CAT was very well acted with Coombs putting in a Brillant Effort. RIGHT TO DIE was very memorable and I agree, Haunting. But SOUNDS LIKE really Hit the Mark for Anderson, remniscent of His MACHINIST, Chris Bauer was so Withdrawn and Tortured. It made me bring out Coppolas THE CONVERSATION, Equally Haunting !! :)