Best New Christmas Horror Movie

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Dec 28, 2015.

?

Best Christmas Horror of the 21st Century?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2016.
  1. A Christmas Horror Story

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. Bikini Bloodbath Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Black Xmas

15 vote(s)
    39.5%
  4. Calvaire

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dead End

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  6. Deadly Little Christmas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Krampus

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  8. P2

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  11. Silent Night

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Sint

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  13. Stanta's Slay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. The Blackhout

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. The Children

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. The Gingerdead Man

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Two Front Teeth

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  18. Inside

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  19. Other (specify in thread)...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

On the heels of Christmas and the success of this holiday's KRAMPUS, let's take a look at all the new Christmas-themed horror films that have come out post-2000. Many are naughty, a few are nice, which will be your pick as the number one slice?

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Rare Exports is by far the best on that list.

Last night I dug out my 6 Films To Keep You Awake DVD and revisited A Christmas Tale. Great little movie. I hadn't seen it since it came out and it held up quite well.

Even though I'm not a fan of the movie, I imagine a lot of people might want to vote for Inside.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

"Best" ? I would probably choose Rare Exports (which I just rewatched), or Dead End as a close second.

If I had to pick the most enjoyable, or a personal guilty pleasure, I'd go with Black Xmas. It's stupid as hell, but one remake that I do thoroughly enjoy.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Rare Exports is the only one I've seen, but I'm voting for it anyway as a salute to all my friends and former co-workers from Finland. Keppis!

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Wanted to pick Bikini Bloodbath Christmas because it is the most fun of the movies I've see from that list, but Rare Exports is the better movie so I voted the same as everyone else so far.

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Rare Exports is probably the best on an objective scale. But I voted for Sint because I enjoy it more. Rare Exports goes a little too over-the-top toward the end. Sint is quite a fun ride from beginning to end.

7. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Black Xmas all the way for me. I love the colors and watch it every year! I would love to see a Blu of this.

8. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Black Christmas for me...although Silent Night Bloody Night gets an honorable mention.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Gotta be Gremlins for me. No other choice.

Sorry, just realized that this poll is only for 21st Century. Havent seen any.

10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Shoot - I voted other for Gremlins and just noticed the 21st century thing as well. Ill change my vote but I have not seen most of these- so Black Xmas will probably get my vote for now

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

for me my all time favorite is a tie with silent night deadly night and black Christmas

but newer Christmas horror I picked Krampus just barely over the 2 remakes black xmas and silent night

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'm having a hard time picking between Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys or Krampus... As much as I thoroughly enjoyed Krampus I'm not sure I could watch it every year. PMvDT I've enjoyed endlessly but obviously not a stellar film in and of itself. Santa's Slay was pretty good. I'm sure I could can give that a spin every few years.

I found the remake Black Xmas to be nigh unwatchable. I'm tempted to see the European cut which I understand to be very different but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I've been wanting to see Sint for awhile now, really need to. And I've been hearing a lot of "skips" for Rare Exports up till now so I've been avoiding that until this thread; it's getting a lot of positive name drops. I'll have to check it out. P2 is one I never got around to and didn't realize it as a seasonal film so I'll have to give it another try.

Would Elvira or Svengoolie hosting Santa Claus Conquers the Martians count? :D

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling I will change my vote to either Krampus or Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys once I get a chance to watch either of those. Maybe Ill try to get PM vs DT in this week.

14. shape22

I'm not sure why Sint is so under the radar. It's a quality production, and the script, characters, acting, and effects are all well above the norm for Christmas horror. Yet almost no one talks about it.

Rare Exports is well worth seeing, too. It's a lot more imaginative than most of the other flicks on this list, and another quality production. We clearly need more Christmas horror flicks from Europe.

15. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought Sint (or Saint Nick as it was released here) was a major let down, but to be fair I watched the dubbed version on NetFlix streaming. It's technically well made, but it's a poorly scripted bore.

16. shape22

The dubbing might be part of the problem. I watch the native language version with subs. We'll have to agree to disagree about the script. It's far superior to the average genre offering--especially recent releases.

Dubbing definitely has a substantially negative effect on a lot of horror films. Most Naschy films take on ridiculously campy overtones in their English dubbed versions. And when a flick already contains some camp, the effect is even worse. I hated Dead Snow the first time I saw (in the English dubbed version). When I rewatched it with the original soundtrack and subs it played much better.

I'm not saying the script for Sint is on par with Chinatown. But compared to the other films in this poll, it's decidedly smarter, with much better characters and much sharper dialogue.

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Black Xmas for sure.