Best of Scream New Wave Slashers

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Oct 21, 2010.

?

Favorite Slasher from the Scream New Wave?

Poll closed Nov 20, 2010.
  1. I Know What You Did Last Summer

26 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. Bride of Chucky

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  3. Urban Legend

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. Halloween H20

27 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. I Still Know What You Did Last Summer

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Urban Legends: Final Cut

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  7. Cherry Falls

10 vote(s)
    8.4%
  8. Valentine

8 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Jason X

14 vote(s)
    11.8%
  10. Halloween: Resurrection

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. TheShape

TheShape Member

I agree. For me I was the perfect ending to the Halloween series. Too bad it was ruined by Halloween Ressurection. I can't believe that Jamie Lee Curtis agreed on this one. I prefer to ignore it. Just like I ignore everything that came after the first Highlander...

2. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

Had to go with Bride of Chucky. I enjoyed Valentine quite a bit too.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I agree it was a very weak decade when compared to the 70's. But I think the new millennium is far worse. At least the horror films of the 90's were actually easier to differentiate between one and another. This past decade, there's so much genre incest and factory-stamp sameness about every single thing released (especially post 2002). I guess this war between me and the people here who think the new millennium didn't suck for the genre is all about the attitudes of the films themselves. They don't like movies they think were pretending to be smart and I don't like movies that pretend to be horror.

I would vote Bride of Chucky but the dang pole is closed. Scream was a masterpiece and the thing that really made it special is exactly the kind of thing nobody noticed about it: it's dark sense of almost anarchic humor. It may have a reputation for "winking" at its' audience but a great deal of humor is to spite the characters. I still laugh at the ending and have an ear-to-ear smile that kills my face during the whole cheerleader scene. Bride of Chucky and Urban Legend were the only films that realized Scream's humor was more complex than some stupid college-kid hip dialogue. The Scream haters don't seem to realize that the film isn't necessarily glorifying this kind of thing. Or trying to be realistic. It takes liberties with characterization to make a point. It's a fucking brilliant film. About teenagers who mostly didn't watch horror movies. It's not about them knowing what people do in horror films, it's about us knowing what happens. The only things they remembered were "some guy in a white mask..." To them, it could have been any one, wielding anything sharp.

If only the last decade's Haute Tension's and The Descent's had been half as intelligent as Scream instead of just pretending to be intense, we wouldn't be just going through the motions like the genre is now.

Anyway, Bride gets my vote (symbolically) for it's highly progressive view on pop culture and the attitudes of the victims. Not to mention it really blew away the shitty Child's Play 2 and 3. It's also a lot smarter than the first film, if not technically as exciting. Though it's sure more flashy and has some very impressive scenes. Plus, the whole "Martha Stewart" thing was absolutely hilarious. It had a lot of resonance in the movie too since it was something of a domestic-harmony satire in several scenes.

As for Urban Legend, I just thought the movie wasn't afraid to be entertainingly bad. Instead of taking itself too seriously, like the Summer's did. And even though the murders kind of ripped off other movies (on the commentary they admit to copying Heathers and Pet Sematary), I thought there were some good ideas. Plus, I just can't say enough about Alicia Witt. Compared to Neve Campbell, Jennifer Love Hewitt, and Katherine Heigl in their movies, she isn't the type at all who can pull off moping around with her hair in her face- etc. The only one not trying to look sad.

I would really love to see Cherry Falls, but I have to see it uncut. I've heard legends about how insane it is and I can't wait to see what everyone else is talking about. Since the only companies in the U.S. to release it don't seem to give a shit about it, I don't see why an Anchor Bay or something like that couldn't nab the film and get it to us uncut.

As for Halloween H20... Well, I actually had to defend that film during my brief stint on the OHMB (that fucking place is sick- the biggest collection of anti-social degenerates I've ever come across in my life; it's moderated by a maniacal cretin and the administrator gives him the run of the place, I watched them tear nearly a dozen good people apart just for the fun of it). Not too many fans of it there. Here, people seem to like it more than I do. Is it the best film on the list? Hardly. Compared to Scream, you have to call it unoriginal. Compared to the previous sequels (especially 4 through 6), well- anyone could have made a superior film after that string of disasters (even Rob Zombie).

That's fair for you to say but I completely disagree. At least, as far as Bride of Chucky is concerned. The film really felt like it was re-introducing Chucky for the first time. Especially since it was very much like the producers, etc(.) gave Don Mancini a free pass to do whatever he wanted to. For a change- instead of changing all his better ideas. The first film was supposed to be something more than a few people chased by a killer doll but wasn't. Bride of Chucky was.

I re-watched a couple minutes on YouTube a couple months ago and think it's actually getting worse as time passes.

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

All hail DVD-fanatic-9, king of the thread killers.

Anyway, going back through this thread, I'm shocked by the amount of love both Urban Legend and Valentine received. Urban Legend was a film I absolutely loved in the beginning and have since found very pedestrian, and Valentine was a film I saw in the theater, found utterly unremarkable, and have all but forgotten.

Is the film worth a second look?

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Valentine is basically about how girls can be bigger douchebags than guys. An anti-chick flick approach to the last girl, heroine dominated horror / slashers of the time. If you want a bitchy 20-something soap opera mixed with quasi-Wild Things "everyone's dirty, so you can't beat 'em- join 'em" hijinks.