Best of the Best In Laser Disks

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Egg_Shen, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah man, F Disney. Actually the only problem I've had from them was their release of eXistenZ. I got the Canadian DVD though, so no worries :) .

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Every time I look at my "Prophecy" dvd and see "special features-chapter search, ultra stereo" it makes me wanna kill some Mouse.

3. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

I don't have anything to back any of this up, no specs or anything, but I will say:

I like Creepshow better on LD (the image and sound on DVD wasn't how I remembered my LD looking. Wish I never sold it)

JAWS - though the DVD I have now is better than my previous LD, they did not include this one trailer which I thought was COMPLETELY wicked. I wish I kept my LD just for that trailer cuz it was sooo cool. Not sure if its on the box set.

I also like my THING on DVD better.

The box sets to LD's are WAAAAYYY superior to DVD's box sets. Totally had the collector in mind. There's a lot of "FUCK DISNEY" comments here, but some of their LD box sets are SUPERB. Fantasia has outstanding booklets and litho prints. SNOW White, damn, I can't say enough on all the COOL limited edition lito prints, books, etc... that come with that.

And the ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY box set has a ton of cool trailers I don't 'think' are on any other versions. And a nice HARD BACK book pretty much kissing Lucas' ass.

QUESTION - when they transfer some of these LD commentary tracks to their DVDs... do they edit some of the commentary. Because the commentary in FROM DUSK TILL DAWN specifically mentions you are watching the LASER DISC and even mentions the cool fold out. Is that also in the DVD????

BTW, I think Robert Rodriguez does some of the best commentary. Fun to listen and interesting and insightful!!!!

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Dunno about From Dusk Till Dawn, but on the Maniac commentary they often refer to the "laserdisc", so that's an unedited track. I believe they also mention "laserdisc" in the Phantasm commentary...and there's always the classic line from the Chasing Amy commentary...

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I've never seen the From Dusk Till Dawn laserdisc, but the line about laserdisc commentary is on the dvd.
    I'm 99% sure that Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead 2 both mentioned they were for the laserdisc.

While we're on the subject, I listened to the comm. on the Wishmaster dvd (can't remember if they took it straight from the laser) and it seems to repeat itself near the middle of the movie, as if it's poorly edited.
    Anyone have the laserdisc?
    Does it also do this? Is the dvd cut? As far as I know, they're both rated R, and I couldn't find any info on cuts on imdb.com.