Best of the decade tournament FINALS!!

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Jun 15, 2009.

?

Best of the Decade?

Poll closed Jun 22, 2009.
  1. 28 Days Later... (2002)

6.8%
  2. American Psycho (2000)

1.7%
  3. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

1.7%
  4. The Descent (2005)

13.6%
  5. The Devil's Rejects (2005)

6.8%
  6. Drag Me To Hell (2009)

5.1%
  7. Dog Soldiers (2002)

1.7%
  8. Ginger Snaps (2000)

8.5%
  9. Grindhouse (2007)

16.9%
  10. Haute Tension (2003)

6.8%
  11. Inside (2007)

3.4%
  12. Let the Right One In (2008)

13.6%
  13. May (2002)

3.4%
  14. Mulholland Dr. (2001)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

5.1%
  16. [Rec] (2007)

1.7%
  17. Shaun of the Dead (2004)

1.7%
  18. Wrong Turn (2003)

1.7%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

After 190 Main choices and 100's of "other" choices we are now down to the Final 18 films. Which movie do you think deserves the title of the best horror film of the Decade?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh man - this is sooooo hard. I'm not gonna overthink this and just give my vote to The Descent. I feel it had all the essentials a horror movie shoulf have, and it really blind-sided with how well it was made.

Wrong Turn, Let the Right One In, Devil's Rejects, High Tension, Dog Soldiers and Pan's Labyrinth are all great movies as well imo.

Big kudos to Ash28M for putting this together and keeping on top of it - woohoo! Nice Work!

3. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I might have voted for Martyrs or The Devil's Backbone instead, but of these 18 I went with Let the Right One In, though almost all 18 are outstanding.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Here is the breakdown of the Finalists By country.

USA - 8 Films
    UK - 4 Films
    France - 2 Films
    Spain - 2 Films
    Canada - 1 Film
    Sweden - 1 Film

Surprisingly Asia doesn't have a representitive.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Tough vote for me between Grindhouse and High Tension, but Grindhouse was that singular experience that I think I'll always remember from this decade, and one that I'll be proud to have seen in the theater.

6. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

In the end, I voted for THE DESCENT, even though I did not vote for it in earlier rounds. I watch it frequently, and it stands up pretty well. I can see myself watching it 10-20 years from now and it will seem just as good.

There are more than a few on the list that I've never thought were that great to begin with, and there are others that I loved at first but have lost some of their punch over the last 2-3 years. So in the end, had to go to THE DESCENT.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

DRAG ME TO HELL is a very last minute entry, but it's EXACTLY what I look for in a horror movie: a scary but fun horror flick that's fairly original yet old fashioned and which I can see myself watching again and again. It also has the added benefit of lacking the quick cutting hand held camera techniques that have become all the rage today. Even THE DESCENT, as great a movie as it is, still suffers from that annoyance once the monsters appear. I love virtually all of the films on this list, but none of the others are the kind of thing that I'd ever watch on a regular basis.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Wow, kinda missed out on Poll C!

But I voted for The Descent. Even though Mulholland Drive is my favorite on that list, The Descent is more "pure" horror ... and I want it to win, so it gets my vote :)

It will be pretty interesting to do this again a few years from now to see where the most recent films on the list will end up. Somehow, I don't think time will do them much good ..

9. MrVess

MrVess Guest

"Wrong Turn", of course, "Ginger" being the only other decent title on the list.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I actually think Wrong Turn is the weakest film on the list. How can you like only 3 films all decade?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

A lot of the films are based in trends and styles of movie making that have been popular over this decade, so it's easy to see how someone could only like a few of them. I'd say there are only 3-4 that I am really a fan of.

I like WRONG TURN better than most of the films on the list. Everyone has their own opinion.

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I voted for The Descent though I could just as easily have voted for Pan's Labyrinth, Let The Right One In, Ginger Snaps, May, Wrong Turn or Shaun Of The Dead. Man that was a hard choice.

Of course of all the movies on the list, there are three that I haven't seen yet (and only one of which I want to see) and there's only one flick that I don't really care for. Pretty damn good decade if you ask me.

13. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

man this is hard...um for me its pretty much a tie between [REC] and The Decent, pretty much the two powerhouse horror films of the past decade for me. both deliver big scares, great plots, good acting, and awesome effects. but in the end in gonna have to give it to The Decent

14. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

By far ... 28 Days Later. This is still the best theatrical experience that I've had all decade. Love this film.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Here is the breakdown of the Finalists By Year.. 2007 and 2002 have the most representatives.

2009 - 1
    2008 - 1
    2007 - 3
    2006 - 1
    2005 - 2
    2004 - 2
    2003 - 2
    2002 - 3
    2001 - 1
    2000 - 2

16. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Yep, Ginger Snaps for me, but this list is too difficult...I don't consider Mulholland Drive as horror at all, and is one of my fav. films ever. So that kind of invalidates this poll for me (just a little bit). I love a lot of movies from this list (Shaun, LTROI, Dog Soldiers, The descent, Grindhouse) and I greatly enjoy the rest. I think is the first list where I've seen all the movies in it. That means that the filters before this final one worked very well (at least most or all of these movies had some kind of recognition by critics and fans), and maybe when we look back at this sometimes crappy decade, we'll rememberer it actually as a very good one.

17. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Tough one but I'll go Grindhouse.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Grindhouse, no question. I was fortunate enough to see this twice in the theater. It's obvious we'll never see this kind of presentation in theaters ever again for a first run new release.

Mulholland Dr. ranks second for me. Also love The Devil's Rejects, American Psycho, May, and The Descent.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Oh Bloody Hell this is difficult!!! The Descent, Let the Right One In and Ginger Snaps are all superb horror films. Pans Labyrinth would be up there too but it just isnt horror to me, and May is up there as well along with Grindhouse because of the awesome theatre experience it was. I am actually probably going to see Drag Me to Hell tommorrow afternoon so just in case it really blows me away I will hold off on my vote until tommorrow- plus I have to mull this over for a while....

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  20. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

28 Days Later for me.

But Wrong Turn, High Tension, Let the Right One In, Shaun of the Dead are all very good.

Great Poll, Ash28m - really makes me realize how this decade, quietly, produced some quality horror.