Best Poe/Corman/Price Film?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Andrew, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Alright, I am almost positive that this has been asked before, but I did a few searches and nothing came up. So if you know of a similar post just point me in that direction and I'll be grateful.

But anyway, what are the best of the Poe/Corman/Price films? I've been interested in them for a while but could never decide on one to pick up. Any suggestions?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Well let's see,
    Tomb of ligea
    Pit and the pendulum
    The tell tale heart
    House of usher
    Premature burial
    All of these come to mind!

3. R. I. P.

R. I. P. New Member

I'm a big, big fan of the Corman/Poe adaptations and would enthusiastically recommend "The Fall Of The House Of Usher", "Pit And The Pendulum", "Masque Of The Red Death", and "Tomb Of Ligeia" for starters. All are available from MGM's Midnite Movies catalogue currently and all have gorgeous prints. Very few extras exist, however, outside of film commentaries and trailers. Nevertheless, I would pick up the above mentioned movies immediately and can safely say you won't be disappointed. :)

R. I. P. :glasses:

4. Luna

Luna Guest

Masque of the Red Death is my absolute favorite of the Poe adaptations, but they're all great to me anyway. :D

5. Jeffrey Dahmer

Jeffrey Dahmer New Member

My favorite is Pit And The Pendulum, followed closely by Masque Of The Red Death. Two masterpieces, also the two best Corman.

6. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Pit And The Pendulum is great!

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Masque of the Red Death my favorite, but then again it's the only I've seen! ;)

8. Chad

Chad Member

Damn, they're all good but I'd have to go with "The Pit and the Pendulum".

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Masque Of The Red Death is easily my favorite, it's just the most interesting. Vincent is damn cool in it.

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Masque of the Red Death is the most disturbing and serious. It's a great film. My favorite, however, is the Comedy of Terrors. That cast just warms my heart.

11. wago70

Oooops - Corman didn't direct Comedy of Terrors, did he! Oh well - Comedy is still my favorite. I also liked The Raven and Pit and the Pendulum (with that great turn by Barbara Steele).

12. R. I. P.

R. I. P. New Member

The hilarious "Comedy Of Terrors" was directed by someone named Jacques Tourneur. Anyway, I don't think Mr. Corman could've done much better here. This comedy classic came out perfect, IMHO. Great movie! ;)

13. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I thought I would mention that this "someone" is responsible for some of the greatest films in the history of screen horror: 'Cat People,' 'The Leopard Man,' the brilliant 'I Walked with a Zombie,' and of course, 'Night/Curse of the Demon.' Lucio Fulci has stated many times that 'I Walked with a Zombie' was the inspiration for his 'Zombie(2).' With the creative help of Val Lewton, Tourneur changed the face of horror in the 1940s from the visible portents popular in the Universal cycle of films in the 1930s, to an aesthetic of the unseen. His later films with AI are much less interesting. I have yet to se 'Comedy of Terrors,' but I do own it. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Call me a Tourneur fanatic.

From the Corman/Poe/Price cycle, 'The Pit and the Pendulum,' 'The Tomb of Ligeia,' and 'The Masque of the Red Death' are the best. BTW: Price is NOT in 'Premature Burial.'

14. Fart Lighter

Fart Lighter Guest

I love them all, so it's hard to decide. You can get a full complete version of MASQUE in a set with NIGHT OF THE EAGLE and ZOLTAN in the UK. The r1 is the old 60's MPAA cut version.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm thinking he was being sarcastic with the "someone" comment. At least I hope so.

I now have all of the Image Poe/Corman Double Features on Laserdisc
    Fall of the House of Usher/Pit and The Pendulum
    The Raven/Masque of the Red Death
    Premature Burial/Tales of Terror

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I would say that:

Masque of the Red Death, The (1964)
    House of Usher (1960)
    Tales of Terror (1962)

Are my three favorites (in that Order), I may have to give Pit And The Pendulum (1961) another spin though as I was kind of tired when I watched it.

17. wago70

Question to Paff regarding the LD of Premature Burial/Tales of Terror. Did your copy succumb to laserrot? I had two copies that did.

18. R. I. P.

R. I. P. New Member

I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I'm sorry for my ignorance regarding Jacques Tourneur as the name escaped me at the time. Thankyou for refreshing my memory marioscido. I apologize if I offended you and others with my statement that was truly meant to be harmless. I suppose my ignorance stemmed from my trying to rationalize why "Comedy Of Terrors" wasn't indeed directed by Corman. Anyway, I'll be more careful next time.

R. I. P. :glasses:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2003
  19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

No need to apologize, you honestly didn't know who he was, big deal. I remember a time when i wouldn't know who Jacques Tourneur was if i hit him with my car. Now i have come to love many of his films. let this just be your Introduction to some of his works.

20. etale

etale Guest

Personally my favorite Corman/Poe is HOUSE OF USHER and PIT AND THE PENDULUM.

I could do without TOMB OF LIGEIA