Best Series for Sequels?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Sep 7, 2008.

?

Which series has the best run of sequels?

Poll closed Oct 7, 2008.
  1. Universal's Dracula

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Universal's Frankenstein

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  3. Universal's Wolf Man

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. Universal's Creature

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Hammer's Frankenstein

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. Hammer's Dracula

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  7. Psycho

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Romero's Dead series

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
  9. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The Exorcist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Halloween

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  12. Friday the 13th

22 vote(s)
    18.8%
  13. The Howling

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  14. A Nightmare on Elm Street

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  15. The Evil Dead

21 vote(s)
    17.9%
  16. Phantasm

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  17. Hellraiser

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  18. Child's Play

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Scream

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  20. Saw

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

We've had some long running series in the realm of horror, some stuck in DTV and some gloriously reinventing itself with each new episode. Overall, which long running series has the best sequels?

My apologies to those who wanted to vote for Leprechaun - there's only 20 spots.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly...I'd have to say Friday the 13th.

You look at the Halloween series, and part 1 is a masterpiece, part 2 is decent, and then it just goes TOTALLY downhill from there. Friday the 13th is one series that started out just "decent". There wasn't such a sharp drop in quality like Halloween, NOES, TCM and Hellraiser. It stayed consistently mediocre lol. Plus, I like more of the Friday sequels than I do the Halloween sequels.

~Matt

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hellraiser got snubbed. :mad:

I'll be damned if this isn't the toughest poll. I'd say Friday the 13th. The story is at its core so utterly basic, and yet still enjoyable sequel after sequel.

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Psycho. I've owned all the sequels in various formats. II is the best, but I enjoy them all.

Of course, I'm a huge fan of the Elm St., Halloween, and F13th sequels, but I think the Psycho ones are more overlooked.

Psycho II and III come out at the height of the slasher age, and I love the look and the feel of those pics.

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

I had it in the original list, but I must have overwritten it when I formatted. Gone is Puppet Master though, and Barker's baby is back on the list. :evil:

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Part III came out just after the height, no? The height of the slasher age I'd say was like '80, '81, '82. Even Part II was '83. :confused:

~Matt

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Despite my eternal love for Phantasm, I chose Hammer's Dracula mainly because it had more sequels.

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Eh, semantics. The genre thrived throughout 1980-1985. Elm Street was in 1984 and the seminal Friday flick, The Final Chapter, was also 1984.

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I like the Evil Dead sequels the best by far, but the best run I would have to give to Friday the 13th. There are 1,454,555 sequels and only one I don't like. That's impressive.

Plus, the remake is going to be great I just know it.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL well I figured, and judging by the amout of reviews on Hysteria Lives, there's a massive amount of reviews for films from 1980, '81 and '82 and then 83/84 have about half of what 1980/81/82 have for their own respective years, but-LOL nah, I'm just trying to be an an ass. :D

~Matt

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

As much as I love Friday the 13th, I think the Halloween sequels were better done down the stretch - close though.

12. j tea

j tea New Member

I agreed with that logic. If it were only the 1st and 2nd movies of a series, I would go with Hellraiser. I think the atmosphere and sensibility is pervasive and unifying.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

friday the 13th mainly for the first 3 sequels that brought some closure but parts 5,6,7,8 were ridiculous but the storyline worked well now jason goes to hell and jason x were pointless sequels but were alright freddy vs jason worked well as nightmare part 8 but not the jason part

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I went with Evil Dead since all three films kick ass in their own way. F13th has lot of crappy films in the series.

15. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

As much as I love almost every other original film on this list more than I do the original Friday the 13th, the series has without question produced the most entertaining run of any of the sequels of the series above that I've seen.

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I went with Frankenstein because Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man are legendary classics and Ghost of Frankenstein and Son of Frankenstein are good movies. Not just entertaining, but actually good.

17. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Friday the 13th

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I went with Hammer's Dracula.

Every series listed have flaws. The Universal Frankenstein's suffer as soon as Karloff is out of make-up, Friday the 13th simply doesn't develop, Halloween has to remake itself by the fourth film - and the third had nothing to do with the series, The Evil Dead turned into sub par Python, The Saw franchise takes six hours to tell a horribly cliched back story that it's impossible to care about a soap opera level of cursory drama, etc.

Hammer's Dracula kind of falls to pieces, but it's a series that is old enough now it's covered itself in some barnacles and dust, and the cracks are covered up with kitsch. So I went with that.

19. Dave

Dave Pimp

For me it was either Friday or Howling (not). Friday sequels up to and including VII are enjoyable for me.

20. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

What,no "other" option ?
    I'd go with Hammer's FRANKENSTEIN series.They wisely followed the adventures of Peter Cushing's Baron rather than having to repeatedly revive the Monster and were creative enough to find some pretty involving variations on the theme rather than just esentially remaking the original film (as so many sequel series often do ). Also,unlike the Hammer DRACULA series Cushing wasn't short changed for screen time in later entries like Lee was (possibly because Cushing LOVED the part whereas Lee feared that he would be trapped in it).You saw less and less of Lee as the DRACULA's progressed but Cushing still had lots of screen time till the end.I think overall the FRANKENSTEIN's were stronger and more consistent.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008