Best Stephen King Adaptation

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by rhett, Aug 6, 2002.

?

What is the best Stephen King horror adaptation?

1. Carrie

20 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. Cat's Eye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Children of the Corn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Christine

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Creepshow

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. Cujo

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. The Dark Half

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Dead Zone

11 vote(s)
    11.3%
  9. Firestarter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Graveyard Shift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Maximum Overdrive

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. Misery

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  13. Needful Things

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  14. The Night Flier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Salem's Lot

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  16. The Shining

25 vote(s)
    25.8%
  17. Silver Bullet

12 vote(s)
    12.4%
  18. Sleepwalkers

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  19. Thinner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rhett

rhett Administrator

There have been some classics and a whole lot of stinkers...but which film is the BEST Stephen King adaptation? Given the sheer number of films he has been given credit for, I have excluded TV movies from the listings (Salem's Lot was released as a feature film at one point). Vote away!

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I love Carrie and The Dead Zone but my vote went to the one King didn't like at all: Kubrick's version of The Shining. :D

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

well i voted for Christine, cuz its my favorite King adaption as well as being a really good movie.

The Shining and Firestarter made it a tough decision, cuz theyre also awesome flicks

4. Rock

Rock Member

I voted for THE DEAD ZONE but think CUJO and CARRIE are just as good...and DOLORES CLAIBORNE deserves kudos too, even if not a "horror" movie...

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Had to vote Carrie, though Norma will probably rig this election too.

I think it's the best adaptation, since it's faithful to the book but changes what's necessary for a movie.

Kubrick's The Shining IS a great movie, but a lousy adaptation since it completely undermines the story in the novel. Conversely, the TV miniseries is TOO faithful to the book, and lacks the quick pacing a movie needs.

And while not horror, The Shawshank Redemption is both a great film and adaptation, it also illustrates why King's novels don't translate well to film: It's a short novel just over 100 pages or so, and yet it took a 2 hour 45 minute film to tell that story. So what do you do with King's typical 500+ page novels??

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm trying to vote for CHRSTINE....but I keep getting this message saying "The action you have attempted could not be performed as your session appears to be invalid". Whatever :rolleyes:.

While THE SHINING is an amazing film, I can't help but enjoy CHRISTINE more. Actually, fuck it, they're tied. THE SHINING feels so epic and it's all so creepy, while CHRISTINE is the epitome of 80's fun. I can't choose :confused: .

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

CUJO all the way! It is an absolute classic that is full of realistic sheer terror, and Cujo is one of my favorite cinematic (and novel) villains ever!

THE NIGHT FLIER, SILVER BULLET, THE DEAD ZONE, and CHRISTINE all rank very high too!

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

This was a damn tough choice for me.
    The Dead Zone, Carrie and The Shining all rank right up there in my favorite horror films of all time, and Christine is done by John Carpenter, so it is damn tough to pick a film out of these four.

Carrie though, is my date for the Best King Adaptation. With a much more balanced pace than both TDZ and The Shining, and some amazingly expressionistic photography, I just can't pick another film over it.

9. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

It was a hard choice, but I went with The Shining. Um, let's see- Excellent performances, cinematography by the legend, John Alcott, haunting music, (especially, the main theme by Wendy Carlos & Rachel Elkind. It's a damn shame that a proper soundtrack hasn't been released!) and truly memorable scenes. (The creepy twins, blood flowing from the elevator, quick flashes of the murdered Grady family, the woman in the tub, etc.)
    Sure, it's not a faithful adaptation, but I'll take Kubrick's hedge maze over those lame hedge animals anytime.:D

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  10. jacob

jacob Guest

Wasn't Storm of the Century an adaptation? It was one of the better movies with King's name on it.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

"Storm of the Century" was more of a TV movie, just like "Rose Red" and the newer version of "The Shining". Since polls are limited to 20 votes, I never had room for it. It is definitely a good mini-series though.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

"Come play with us Danny..."

13. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I had to go with Silver Bullet. There's just something I really enjoy about this flick. Close second was Shining, followed by Carrie.

14. Pope V

Pope V Guest

The Shining - with Carrie as runner up

15. McBride_01

McBride_01 Guest

This was a tough one! I picked Creepshow, but felt bad leaving out especially Carrie, The Shining, Christine, and Cujo. Good pool!

16. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

For me it came down to The Shining and Misery.Both are excellent but i think Misery is the better adaptation while not being the better film..if that makes any sense. :eek2:

17. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

The Shining, with Carrie a close second.

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The Dead Zone, followed closely by Carrie.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Carrie gets my vote as it is the only film, in my opinion, that bested King's writing.

I think The Shining is much too loosely adapted to be considered one of the "best adaptations", but the film on its own works very well.

Christine and Misery are also great films, but the books are much better (especially Misery, which I recently re-read and wooooow it's fantastic!) but I've yet to watch The Dead Zone because I want to read the book first ...

Storm of the Century, however, gets my vote as the definitive King-film, as it perfectly captures the King-feel and tone. And it's long ;)

20. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Stephen King flicks have always been enjoyable to me, starting from early childhood. My favorite horror ones are The Stand and IT, but since you can't choose them here, I gotta go with Misery because it is actually the best movie of the bunch.

I've always had a softspot for Sleepwalkers, though. And, Graveyard Shift has become almost a tradition on October 31 because I used to watch TV edits of it every year on WGN. Sometimes They Come Back is also very good, the sequel decent as well. Silver Bullet is probably my favorite werewolf movie. Creepshow 2 is a favorite of mine, I enjoy it even more than the first.

But the best adaption of all is The Shawshank Redemption. Best movie of all-time, so it kinda has to be.