Best Tarantino movie

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Oct 2, 2007.

?

vote

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)

60.0%
  2. Reservoir Dogs (1992)

15.0%
  3. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

5.0%
  4. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

1.7%
  5. Death Proof (2007)

8.3%
  6. Jackie Brown (1997)

5.0%
  7. Kill Bill (1+2)

5.0%
  1. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I love Jackie Brown, I'm a big fan of Elmore Leonard and it's just a very polished film. Kill Bill is a favorite of mine as well.

2. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

surprisingly I didn't have to think very long on this, Pulp Fiction easily beats out the rest for me... not that the others aren't great but Pulp Fiction was just a more enjoyable movie to me. That may be because of the people i saw it with and because the soundtrack is ingrained on my brain after listening to the CD solidly for 6 months

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Pulp Fiction for me. Easily.

It has stood the test of time for me, and is still just as enjoyable as it was in 1994. I even saw it again theatrically in 2005, at a midnight show. It started almost an hour late, meaning it didn't end till well past 3:30, and yet everyone stayed till the end.

Jackie Brown has grown on me (I initially hated it), but it's still very flawed. The pace builds nicely, then slows to a grinding halt after the mall money transfer...and there's still 45 minutes left in the film! Up until then, it was a great look at aging criminals, truly going for that "one last score". But that last reel just drags.

4. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Pulp Fiction out of the ones he's directed. But out of his scripts I prefer From Dusk Till Dawn to Pulp Fiction. To me all of his films are great, except for Death Proof which left me very disappointed.

5. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Pulp Fiction. I really enjoy all of his output, though.

6. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Reservoir Dogs

7. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

City On Fire. Err...I mean Reservoir Dogs :D. I've watched Dogs more times than I can remember. I like it that much. Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill vol.1 are close behind.

8. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

J.B.

Easily.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Jackie Brown to me will always be my favorite. I love the story, the characters, and... SHE GOT TO KEEP THE MONEY!!! I can't tell you how much that means to me! A) it's just movie money, and B) she earned it! I hate it when in movies a person is wronged, does a deed for a large sum of money, and then doesn't get to keep the money in the end (*cough* Q the Winged Serpent *cough*) (and if I'm not mistaken... Ruthless People- the money goes into the water at the end, right?).

But I voted for Pulp Fiction. I don't like most of the characters (liked the cab driver though and The Wolf... oh, and Raquel), actors, story, for the most part the glorification of drugs and alcohol, the gay-bashing... but I have to admit, that is one damn HELL of a movie! I didn't like most of it, but it is completely fascinating, and I loved watching all of it.

I think Robert Rodriguez is way more overrated. Although, I haven't yet seen Sin City or El Mariachi. Everything else he's made has been disgustingly overrated. Especially Desperado, The Faculty (yeah a lot of people said it was great), and the second half of From Dusk Till Dawn (everything after Seth stakes vampire-Richie in the heart and half of the bar scene leading up to that, everything before the Santanico Pandemonium seduction dance, especially the "such a fucking loser" confrontation between Seth and Jacob at the table). George Clooney is not a badass.

Really? I would have that the coven of witches ("The Missing Ingredient") segment would have been most people's vote for the worst... I liked the Man from Hollywood segment. Except of course for Bruce Willis's ridiculous and unfounded swearing tyrade - "I treat that fuckin' bitch like a Queen!" Who? His lovely wife Ellen? Who we've never met and who isn't refered to again before or after Bruce's character's...ahem, "speech"? But Missing really underused all of the actors in it. I mean... when you're sitting there going, "okay, Who's That Girl?, Big Top Pee Wee, and Cecil B. Demented are more satisfying than this"... then what you're watching is definitely lacking. But I thought MfH really redeemed the coolness factor of the Ted character. I don't know whether or not he was supposed to chop off that guy's finger, because they were so drunk they forgot to establish what happens if the very first flick of the lighter had to light up or if it just had to light up 9 times in a row after the very first time it lit up. But it didn't matter, Ted just chopped it off on the first try. That ought to teach people a lesson about drunken bets! At that moment... I wished I 'was' Ted. :evil:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, but he doesn't spend half his life telling us how great he is. :lol:

11. DVD-fanatic-9

Point taken.

Although... if you wanted to... you could ignore him and just take his films for what they're worth. With Rodriguez, there is no escape from the badness.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

First off, definitely see El Mariachi. I didn't care for Desperado at all, but earlier this year I finally saw El Mariachi. Great film, even though it's pretty simple. I found I liked Desperado a lot more, after seeing El Mariachi.

But I can't disagree more about the "loser" confrontation in From Dusk Till Dawn. It's possibly my favorite scene. Harvey Keitel is so defiant, not submissive as Seth is expecting. Watching George Clooney's lip twitch as someone dares to stand up to him is amazing, then he backs down in an instant. That scene alone showed the Seth Gecko character completely. Great writing by Tarantino on the dialogue, and Rodriguez is just as capable with the framing and direction.

13. DVD-fanatic-9

Well, I absolutely disagree with that. I could accept the first line out of his mouth, but the writer fumbled for the rest of his character's lines and didn't do a good enough job as far as I'm concerned. And Keitel's character wasn't standing up to Seth as much as you think he was, he was actually reassuring him.

I feel like I can sniff out weakness in dialogue very well. For the purposes of the movie itself, just that one movie, not the actor's style or the writer's style or the director's style, I think it was a painfully weak moment. It certainly hurts me to have to watch it. And that's of course how I gauge weakness in a scene. As perhaps most people do as well, based on what they can't ignore about a sequence or scene.

And like I said, George Clooney is not badass in this movie. Just because he's intensely handsome and has a somewhat commanding voice doesn't mean he will remain intimidating in every part of every scene he's in. And really, it may not mean much to anyone else, but I took a look at that environment and said, he's not special. Which he's not. He's not any tougher or harder than Tom Savini's or Fred Williamson's characters. Which I believe you get a very good look at before Keitel says the "loser" line.

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Exactly plus Sin City is badass.

15. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Yikes! Spoiler tags would be nice there, yes? Not only do you give away the ending, but you CAP and Bold it to boot. :lol:

16. DVD-fanatic-9

You know, I did think of that. But I figured most people voting here would know it anyway.

Sorry. It won't happen again.

17. Agent Z

Well, and someone would think that everyone had already seen Sin City or El Mariachi by now and throw spoilers out as well.

When in doubt, spoiler tag it please.

No biggie. I didn't want to come off as the Spoiler Tag Squad Patrol...I was just trying to throw out that "better safe than sorry" suggestion. :)

18. DVD-fanatic-9

Perhaps, in a Robert Rodriguez-specific thread. :D

19. Agent Z

Ohh, I'm going out on a limb here and saying that people will check out threads to topics they aren't wholly schooled in as well. ;)

20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'll give some love to Kill Bill 2. I know a lot of people like all the action in the first one, but part 2 is more meat and potatoes as far as depth goes. David Carradine's best film ever.