Best & Worst Horror Films of 2015

Discussion in 'General' started by Hatchetwarrior, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Another year in the books, and one more year of watching horror films. Personally, I don't think this year was quite as strong as 2014 for the horror genre, but there were still a number of horror films I liked a lot. As always, feel free to share your favorites, and least favorites, from the year 2015.

Best Horror Films of 2015
    1) What We Do in the Shadows
    2) A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
    3) It Follows
    4) Goodnight, Mommy
    5) The Final Girls
    6) Spring
    7) Cub
    8) The Editor
    9) Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead
    10) Cooties​

Honorable Mentions: Last Shift, Tales of Halloween, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse, The Voices, Creep, Lest us Prey,Backcountry, Maggie

Worst Horror Films of 2015
    1) Muck
    2) Animal
    3) The Pact 2
    4) Ejecta
    5) The Vatican Tapes
    6) Dark was the Night
    7) Burying the Ex
    8) Feed the Gods
    9) Zombeavers
    10) Dark Summer​

Dishonrable Mentions: Into the Grizzly Maze, From the Dark, Infini, The Harvest, The Stranger, Pod, Hellions, A Christmas Horror Story

2. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

what this makes me realize is how little recent horror i watch

i know a couple of titles, but haven't seen any, even though Goodnight Mommy is a potential candidate for watching

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Well, the year is not over, but don't imagine I'll find a major contender in the next two days, so here goes:

Worth mentioning, I saw Creep and Zombeavers at a festival last year, otherwise they would have made the list. I also saw Radio Silence (aka On Air) at a festival in 2013, which was released in Germany earlier this year, otherwise that would have made the list as well.

TOP 10.JPG

My Top 10 Horror Movies Of 2015:

10.) We Are Still Here - Anytime you see Larry Fessenden involved in a movie, regardless of whether it's behind or in front of the camera, you know you're in for something interesting and different. This is no exception. This is a ghost movie made for the horror fans, not for the cineplex goers who flock to dreck like Insidious: Chapter 3 and the Poltergeist remake.

9.) Cub - I approached this one as a slasher film, and was very pleasantly surprised to find something a little different and off-kilter. As quirky and fun as it is delightfully depraved. It's quite beautiful to look at too, lots of style and atmosphere.

8.) The Canal - Borrows heavily from other classic horror, but still feels fresh and manages to scare. I watched it alone one night and it successfully gave me the creeps, while also delivering a satisfying character story. Definitely one of the year's strongest ghost stories that unfortunately got ignored by a majority of horror fans in lieu of the latest Insidious movie. Too bad.

7.) Exeter - This was a way better Evil Dead remake than 2013's dull Evil Dead remake. Just a beautiful bloodbath with its foot firmly on the accelerator, and it doesn't let up until the final frame.

6.) Girlhouse - This year's trashy slasher surprise has no right being as good as it is. A cast of fun likable girls you can root for, a masked slasher, fun kills, a lite breezy pace, and a healthy dose of T&A. What's not to love?

5.) Tales Of Halloween - A strong anthology flick loaded with Halloween atmosphere and more genre cameos than you can keep track of. While it doesn't measure up to Trick 'r Treat, this is a pure love letter to the holiday and the perfect movie to get you in the Halloween spirit. I hope we see a sequel or follow-up.

4.) Kristy - Another slasher surprise, this long delayed teen-thriller turned out to be this year's You're Next. Loaded with atmosphere, suspense, and a bad-ass final girl, this is the perfect edge-of-your-seat chase movie.

3.) The Green Inferno - I can't believe a jungle cannibal movie got a wide theatrical release this year. I don't think that has happened since the '80s. Most cannibal flicks are maybe a little too gross for me, but this was just the perfect amount of gross to ensure that I'll be revisiting it for years to come.

2.) The Final Girls - Who says you can't make a solid genre flick with a PG-13 rating? Unfortunately, when you do, it gets dumped straight-to-VOD with little to no promotion. I thought this movie walked the perfect line of satisfying the genre fans who grew up with these movies and being accessible to anyone who had never seen one. Too much modern horror feels the need to be excessively grim and serious, so it was refreshing to watch the epitome of a feel-good horror flick.

1.) It Follows - There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie, but It Follows delivered and then some. I'd go as far as to say it's the best horror film of the 21st century. Beautiful, creepy, creative, it's everything the genre should be striving for.

HONORABLE MENTIONS.JPG

Honorable Mentions:

- The Gift - A surprisingly clever and thought-provoking twist on the old '90s "fill-in-the-blank from hell" Fatal Attraction rip-offs. Who knew actor Joel Edgerton was such a talented writer / director?

- Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse - Colorful gory fun with a hard R-rating. I'd also say it felt way more Amblin / Monster Squad than the other genre flicks this year that were trying for that (Goosebumps and Krampus come to mind).

- Last Shift - This random NetFlix watch turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of the year. A stellar example of how to do a lot on a low budget. Dare I say, it even gave me the creeps.

- Bastard - This year's 8 Films To Die For was a very mixed bag, but this was easily the highlight. A very entertaining low-budget slasher flick, and the rare modern horror flick with unlikable characters that you actually like.

WORST.JPG

Worst Horror Movies Of 2015:

1.) Queen Of Earth - Pretentious bore with an embarrassing performance from Elizabeth Moss. Only thing going for this movie is it was shot on film.

2.) Nightlight - Tedious found-footage teen horror.

3.) Hayride 2 - I'm a sucker for slasher movies and usually get a kick out of even the worst ones, but this was a chore for me to sit through. Stick a (pitch)fork in it.

4.) Final Prayer - Another dreadful found-footage flick that is akin to watching paint dry.

TOP 5.JPG

Top 5 Non-Horror Movies Of 2015:

5.) Spotlight - The most thrilling and suspenseful non-thriller of the year. Terrific performances all around. Sure to be a front-runner at the Oscars.

4.) Tangerine -It blows my mind that Los Angeles has never been captured as beautifully as it is here through the lens of an iPhone. This movie is very in your face and I was a little taken aback by it, but I couldn't stop thinking about it after I left the theater.

3.) Me And Earl And The Dying Girl - I've been finding the modern teen movies a bit depressing these days, as they're all about cancer and dystopian futures. Which makes it all the more impressive that this one cracked my list, as it's the rare one that worked for me. A wonderful coming of age movie that will have you charmed and laughing one moment, then break your heart the next.

2.) Room - Emma Donoghue's novel was riveting and this movie did not disappoint. A beautiful adaptation with stellar performances from Brie Larson, Jacob Tremblay, and Joan Allen. I'm hoping it sweeps awards season.

1.) Mad Max: Fury Road - I'm not a big "blockbuster" guy, but 2015 has been a year of some really strong ones. But none are more impressive than Fury Road. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's by far the most incredible "blockbuster" spectacle since Jurassic Park. It's a cinematic rock concert, a roller-coaster from start to finish with some of the most stunning action sequences ever put on the big screen.

Honorable Mention:

Finders Keepers - A documentary almost too bizarre to be true. Hilarious and moving. Unfortunately, documentary fans clung to the wildly overrated The Wolfpack this year and completely ignored this gem. Their loss.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

So is Muck the worst of the worst or is Dark Summer?

5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Muck. I gave it 1 out of 10 on my film tracker. Easily the worst thing, horror or otherwise, I sat through all this year.

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Active Member

Best (in rough order)

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
    The Canal
    It Follows
    Creep
    The House at the End of Time
    Housebound
    The Babadook
    Let Us Prey
    What We Do in the Shadows
    Last Shift

Worst

Unfriended
    The Gallows
    Harbinger Down

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Not a lot of votes for Unfriended yet, huh?

...Yet.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I saw Zombeavers last year so it made my best of list at that time.

My 2015 best of Horror:

1. The Editor
    2. The Final Girls
    3. Deathgasm
    4. The Green Inferno
    5. Headless

Honorable mentions: Digging Up the Marrow, Tremors 5, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

My worst of 2015:

1. Poltergeist
    2. Burying the Ex
    3. Monsters: Dark Continent
    4. Gnome Alone
    5. Into the Grizzly Maze

Dishonorable mentions: It Follows

Workshed likes this.
  9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Agreed with several of these.

Best
    1. The Editor
    2. Babadook
    3. It Follows
    4. The Final Girls
    5. What We Do in the Shadows

Worst
    1. Poltergeist (2015)
    2. Burying the Ex
    3. Crimson Peak (maybe more like the Biggest Disappointment instead of Worst)

MisterTwister likes this.