Better than DVD?

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Paff, May 12, 2006.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This is my situation! My DVD's are so low in audio (except sound effects) that I'm constantly turning the volume up and down. I have only TV speakers. Don't have this problem with LD's and VHS.:cool:

2. NIN

NIN Member

3. elahrairrah

elahrairrah Guest

Resurrecting this thread to give my 2 cents.

I often compare Laserdiscs of flims that I have to the DVD of the same film. Even though I am a major LD Aficionado, I will be honest in my comparison. I have come across where I see a Laserdisc looking better and/or preferable in my eyes to the DVD version. Often times this is like the aforementioned colors (which goes hand in hand with any analog vs digital debate--analog offering richness, digital offering clarity.)

Yet, a huge player in the comparison is will always come down the the playback equipment. If you use an analog television, this will give some favor to the Laserdisc being an analog format. If you use a digital television, this of course gives favor to the DVD.

With me, I try to meet them halfway since I use a 37" analog computer monitor for my home theatre. The analog nature of the tube benefits Laserdiscs, while the higher resolution (1280x1024) benefits DVD.

So far, only a handful of LDs have looked better than the DVD on my setup (which have separate calibrations for each format using Joe Kane's Video Essentials Laserdisc and Digital Video Essentials DVD to give them the optimal picture quality.) And that is usually just a difference of colors rather than clarity.

I usually attribute any time I find a DVD not as clear as the Laserdisc as the DVD transfer being poorly/lazily done or the source material for the DVD being less than optimal (like a 3/4" tape or something like that.)

A good example of this is the initial release of the anime Cowboy Bebop on DVD in the US. The source for the DVDs was obviously a Laserdisc because the DVD image featured artifacting that is usually relegated to Laserdisc when you're using a crappy Laserdisc player or if you're using a composite cable with your DVD player (cross-color and dot-crawl) as well as MPEG pixellation artifacts (signifying a lazy DVD transfer.) I don't know if this was rectified in the re-relase of the series on DVD, but it was just apparent when you compare the Region 1 DVDs to the Japanese Laserdiscs.