Beyond the Door Best Buy DVD Exclusive Edition

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by eric_angelus, Dec 13, 2008.

1. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

So, I don't know how I missed this...but I was just in Best Buy...and there was Beyond the Door. I had been looking in stores for a long time and could not find it. Finally gave up and got it from the Deep Discount Sale.
    The Best Buy disc is an exclusive 2 disc version with the US theatrical cut and an extended Juliette Mills interview. It was 19.99. Now I am kind of bummed out that I have the standard release, since this was the first horror film I ever saw... Package itself looks the same (minus the slipcover...in other words it is the US theatrical poster art).

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Best Buy does a lot of these exclusives,they had a special edition of THE DEAD PIT out earlier this year too.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Wow, it sucks living in Canada when the US Best Buys have all theses awesome exclusive editions.

If anyone on here happens to find one of these 2-disc Beyond the Doors, would they be willing to pick me up a copy? I'd be more than happy to pay you for it and cover shipping.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I heard about this recently, but I've never seen it in the BB store here...and I was in there just last night. From what was posted on another forum; the US version of the film on the 2nd disc looks like a VHS transfer.

5. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I guess that makes me feel better. I have the VHS transferred to DVD-R. Thanks for the info.

6. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I just wish I would be informed beforehand about these exclusives, not months after I've bought the standard edition. Code Red should mention this on their blog.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yeah, I don't see why Best Buy, or Code Red for that matter, feels the need to withhold the information. Seems to work against the very reason why they would have exclusives.

I read about it last week but I'd already bought the standard release online. Fuck it, if they can't even bother to tell me about it then I won't bother to get it.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah I agree, it's making me a little wary of buying Code Red releases right when they're released now...and waiting until much later to buy them just to be sure. If I can get an exclusive edition, I'll try my best to get it. I don't really enjoy having to seek it out after the fact of buying the normal version. :eek2:

And why the exclusives at Best Buy if they are not going to really even publicize them as such? Best Buy are just about the lamest idiots when it comes to stocking small label exclusives like this. I think the BB store here has only ever stocked the Dead Pit DVD, and that was it from Code Red.

9. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

The reason we did this was because the inital sales of this title wasn't good at all. BOARDINGHOUSE sold better, and this title was the most expensive movie we ever acquired.

So we had an oppotunity with BestBuy in hopes of moving more units, so since I didn't want to get the fans angry, we made the second disc something that is kinda "meaningless", so those who bought the first release woun't feel bad. The U.S version is indeed taken from the VHS tape (the Italians had no elements for this version), plus some pointless outtake from the Juliet Mills interview.

I am hoping the real fans would prefer the collectable O-Cards that came with the initial pressing over what amounts to a VHS copy as an extra, and some lame discarded interview footage.

We also didn't mention it on our blog for BestBuy never tells us when and if they are to even stock the exclusive titles. So that is why we didnt mention it. We hope you undertand, as I did my best to give them a exclusive that wount piss off the people who bought the inital release..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2008
  10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I can understand all that.

While I put the vast majority of the blame on Best Buy, and can see a certain need to remain silent until Best Buy reveals the plans themselves, I think just a simple "we're doing a Best Buy exclusive, Best Buy will be making the final decisions on what/when/how" once BB's check clears would be rather nice.

From now on I'm just going to have to sit on my thumbs when it comes to Code Red titles, and I know you guys want those pre-order numbers but it's difficult for some fans to commit now with these new expectations.

11. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

Well, unlike some labels, I didn't double bill it, I did not predict this title to tank so bad. I am not Nostradamus. I guess you didn't like the o-card, which costed us more money than the second disc itself, if I was gping to get so much complaint about the second disc,guess I should have put some real good contents into the second disc, instead of putting all the meat and potatos in the inital edition. Guess you can never win doing niche titles in this DVD market.

12. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Bill, Repectfully, and to be pefectly honest, I think you have missed the point. The message seems to be that fans are very tired of hearing about special two disc editions of Code Red titles two and three months after the fact. Why not simply release the title as a two disc edition and with the o-card that you refer to. Perhaps sales would have been larger had one special edition been announced in advance. I agree with with X-human and others here regarding this issue. Hearing this news yet again, does not make me want to run out and purchase titles if a different version is released later. I, too, will sit on my thumbs and wait 3 or 4 months before I purchase a Code Red title if this is going to become a standard practice.

13. Noto

Noto Guest

Hey, Bill. Big fan as always, but really, any on-disc content always outweighs packaging. I still haven't got my copy of Beyond the Door (I ordered it last week), so I don't know if I will get an o-card or not. Honestly though, o-cards in general are just a waste of money. They make sense for mainstream new releases that are more likely to get stolen, but for niche titles like Beyond the Door, an attractive cover is good enough.

That said, I didn't buy the DVD from Best Buy, and I'm not at all upset with missing out on this second disc. I just want the main feature on disc, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it again after all these years (Sweet Sixteen too)

14. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

You are all forgetting this is all after the fact: that the title sold poorly. I am at BestBuy's mercy when it comes to this. We do the DVD the way it should be, we work hard putting together the package, then BestBuy's pass on it, then much much later on, they will tell me if I give them a "bonus disc" that is exclusive to them, then they will carry it in more units than what went out nationally. Look at UNSEEN, I did a 2 disc, BestBuys passed, and it bombed badly with hardly anyone buying it. It is beyond my control. And without Best Buy carrying it, BEYOND THE DOOR would have been a major financial loss for me, as so far, it has put a major financial strain in our company, right after that TERROR CIRCUS fiasco.

If it means anything, I had no new extras to give them on this title, so I gave that VHS master, that no one should care for, and if you feel a bonus disc with a VHS dupe is worth boycotting my DVD's from now on, I don't know what to say. You can't win in this niche market.

15. youthief

youthief Member

Bill, since you're in the know, how about you walk us through the process of acquiring a film for distribution? How do you find the current rights holder (copyright.gov?), do they want all the money up front or is it usually a percentage based on how many units sell, where do you get the print you use, do you have to pay people to interview them, how much can it cost to release a DVD, what determines how many discs you produce?

16. reddye5

reddye5 Member

Hey, I don't mean to hijack the thread. I just thought I'd chime in here with my opinion. Personally, I'm just happy that a company like Code Red is around releasing cool little titles from yesteryear. We may never have gotten these titles on dvd any other way. I don't care about special discs and whatever. Give me the movie (16x9 and progressive scan :) and a few choice features and I'm stoked. Code Red should be commended, not boycotted in my opinion.

I think we're all missing the point. We're lucky to have a company like Code Red around releasing nuggets in their original aspect ratio. I think we've been a little spoiled with the advent of dvd and the releases of tons of formerly "hard to find" releases. The old Anchor Bay and Blue UNderground days of feature crammed editions. Hell, I remember when you had to buy a crap VHS bootleg that you could hardly tell what the hell was going on, at some crummy convention. That sucked ass and I never thought it my wildest dreams that it would get this good.

Boycotting Code Red releases isn't the answer, it's just a way of helping to kill the company. Then we won't get any releases. Is that really better? Buy the standard release, and if later on they have to put out an exclusive at Best Buy to save their ass on the bottom line, buy that one too if it means that much to you.

Bill, thank you so much for your releases. I truly appreciate it and please keep the fun titles coming and progressive scan, if possible. Just my opinion.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm with you Dood. I was about to write basically the same thing, but I'm glad you did first, so I'll just ride your coat tails :D

What am I missing in the U.S. theatrical cut VHS rip? Grain?

18. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Ya know, I am just sick of the market. Everyone expects so much from a release now days. Hell, I am just happy to have it in the format period. I would much rather have a film I enjoy released, then to have it held back on the account of extras and special features. I still break out the VHS and watch movies I love. Do I bitch because it isnt high rez? NO, I just enjoy the film. Would I prefer it to look better and have it on DVD, Yes, but I am not going to start a war over it if only for extra features.

If I owned this company, I would personally just release bare bones disks. At that point, if the sales of the disk in question financially allowed me to do more, then I would offer upgrades (limited ed disks) at a fraction of the price for the true fans and through my personal web site. After all, these are cult movies with a small following.

19. killit

killit Active Member

I would've bought this disc but I have the german DVD. Great, great film and the best title you guys have had. It's be top on my release schedule if I did independent DVD.sorry it didn't sell well, would've bought it if I didn't have it

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's funny, I would've bought it, but I didn't realize it was even out! Sure, I'd heard of it coming out, but I always expected it "later".

I don't get the worry that labels have. So it doesn't sell 1000s of copies out of the gate: so what? A film like BEYOND THE DOOR isn't a mainstream film like THE DARK KNIGHT which sells 80% of it's sales in the first two weeks... is it? I would think something like BTD would be a catolog title that people would want to pick up at their leisure. When it comes down to it I don't understand the principle. For example, The Kinks were never a #1 hit selling band back in the heyday of the 60s and 70s but I guarantee that they probably sell more discs in a week than New Kids on The Block and The Backstreet Boys do now. You gotta think longevity. I plan upon picking up Beyond the Door, don't worry about it. You'll just have to wait awhile.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008