Beyond the Door Best Buy DVD Exclusive Edition

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by eric_angelus, Dec 13, 2008.

1. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I think that part of the reason why pre-order sales are important to companies like CodeRed is because they ARE a small label, and when they are spending big $$ to pick up niche titles, if the titles don't sell well within the first few months not only does it effect their bottom line, they aren't able to recoup the resources put out to acquire the title to begin with (not to mention costs of mastering and/or processing, packaging etc.), and they may not have endless amounts of money to acquire further titles, finish work on existing projects or pay to have cast members interviewed etc.

While I fully understand the frustration of fans who find out about these special releases after the fact (I often find myself in this position over Disney titles, where all sorts of extra doodads pop up after the fact, most of them from stores I have no access to), I will say that Best Buy is notorious for fucking over not just movie fans who frequently can't find product in stores to purchase, but they also fuck over many smaller labels with their finicky demands and screwy release/stocking.

A similar issue occurred with the series of Naschy/Spanish horror titles that were released over the last couple of years (including the GLORIOUS Night of the Sorcerers...hehehe)...Although these titles were released by a company that seems to have a little more $$ to work with than CodeRed, they are still a small label in comparison, and their titles were shuffled around, mutated from original design plans, and then quietly released to stores with little care.

Best Buy is like the WalMart of video, where they constantly force DVD production houses to cater to their demands, and then often leave them hanging or renig on agreements. Unfortunately, the sale of a title to Best Buy is often one of the biggest opportunities a small label has to recoup on their investment, which is, I think, why it ends up being such an attractive deal.

It really is too bad though, that they drop the fucking ball in such a big way. They also screwed OffColor in the sales of the Paramount acquisitions (Phase IV, Student Bodies etc.)...Although these were supposedly "Best Buy exclusives", from what I understand something like 60% of stores didn't bother to carry them (or the main distribution arm of Best Buy didn't bother to stock the stores---still waiting for an exact explanation of how that shit works), and their website listed the titles as "Back Order"...So, basically the titles appeared to be unavailable unless you were lucky enough to find them in a local store or catch them on the website during a brief window of availability. The real stink came when I contacted OffColor and was told that the website status was a known problem, and that there were many cases of each of these titles sitting in the Best Buy warehouse, but that because the website showed them as being on back order many sales were being lost.

Best Buy really doesn't care. I guess if the distributor gets their money from Best Buy then they're not really hurt by it, but when the titles don't end up selling well, what does that mean for potential future releases?

I feel sorry for companies like Code Red who have to deal with this kind of crap. I think they have to though, in order to stay afloat. I will agree with the earlier posters though--I'm glad that someone is out there bothering to release these titles at all, and I will definitely continue to support them and pre-order whenever titles come up that I'm interested in.

I will not, however, support Best Buy, unless it's absolutely necessary.

2. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Wow, didn't mean to start such a controversy with this thread...sorry. Normally, I tend to not really care when it comes to the whole "exclusive" thing...mainly because the content tends to be worthless to me. However, for me packaging is pretty unimportant too. A nice presentation of the film is what I really care about the most. With this particular title...had I known, I probably would have waited...simply because the movie holds a bit of a special place in my heart. Given a choice with a movie I really like,
    I would go for extra content over different packaging.
    But as I many others have said I am just thrilled to have the movie, and am not one to boycott a label or a release simply because of a market decision or lack of visually pleasing cover art...and grateful to Bill and Code Red for the great stuff they are doing. You're right Bill, you probably will never please everybody (just read the whole My Bloody Valentine thread...we want it uncut...wait we want only this footage...not this footage...etc...etc...).
    At the same time though, it seems like you are kind of hurting the sales of the Best Buy exclusive editions by the words you have said about them here....I mean if the amount of units Best Buy is stocking is so vital to you financially...wouldn't you want people to really go after these pieces...so in turn Best Buy would pre-order more units of your future releases?
    I am really sorry to hear these titles are not living up to your sales expectations. I noticed this newer releases were much harder to find in stores than say Sole Survivor or Boarding House...it just seems that with the demise of all the small specialty retailers (Suncoast, etc) that these smaller titles are just getting the shaft by Best Buy and the other big box stores.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't think anyone here said anything about "boycotting" Code Red. The comments were more like being wary of buying the DVD's on the release date in fear of not being aware of an exclusive edition...which aren't really being publicized to us fans. And it's certainly not mandatory to be forced to buy something right away. To be fair though, as Bill said, this 2-disc version is being released after the fact and the extra bonus content isn't very worthwhile, so it hardly matters.

I own 14 Code Red titles currently, and certainly have no plan of "boycotting" them.

4. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Yeah, I guess I expressed myself badly. I was speaking more about how it can be hard to please the fan base for these labels...and how really no one will ever be able to please everyone...someone will always be unhappy that this art wasn't used or this TV spot wasn't included, etc, etc. Boycott is a term that gets thrown around alot when companies have to make these types of decisions.
    At any rate, you're right. I am happy to have the movie no matter what.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

It sure didn't take some horror fans long to forget where they came from (ie: the $20 VHS third generation boot alternative), did it?

I mean, Christ, the guy (barely) double dipped because of an offer he got to what essentially amounts to fans getting more releases in the long run. People who wait and were lucky enough to find it in BB get a VHS cut of Beyond the Door; who the fuck would watch it cut anyways? If they'd have released it initially with a VHS print alongside, people would have said it was money wasted that could have went elsewhere. I understand as a collector that you may want to have it just to say you do, but it's nothing to get in a fuss over.

Companies do this all the time because Best Buy is (crazy?) enough to release anything with exclusivity. Even Axl Rose knows this, and he hasn't seen daylight since '94.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Bill, you can't please horror fans. They just want more and more and more and more... lol Sad but true unfortunately.

I think its quite sad that Best Buy has that much say so in the home movie field. I rarely see CodeRed dvds at the near by BB. They usually just carry the latest DTV Lionsgate film or a mainstream horror title, which btw is 20 or so copies of said title just sitting there, never to get bought. Once in a big while I'll find a BCI title which I usually snatch up. I used to bitch about Suncoast, but I've missed them quite a bit since they went under. At least they had a selection of titles, even including SWV dvds!

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm boycotting! No more Code Red! Mutilator, Night Warning, Nightmare, Silent Scream - screw those movies. They stink! :rolleyes:

:lol:

I think the overall statement is Bill made a deal to save himself from losing cash so he can continue to release more choice flicks in the future. Good extras or not - he made the right move. Any smart businessman would have done the same. In the end we all got want we wanted, right? A digital widescreen transfer of Beyond the Door, and Bill keeps his head above water (hopefully more comfortable than that). Keep 'em comin' Billy Boy.

8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I guess I may have opened this hornet's nest, but I still stand by my claim that if this is going to be the standard practice of Code Red after the fact, then I will simply wait 3-4 months before I buy a new Code Red title. Waiting means waiting, not boycotting. Incidently, if you look at the quote above, Mr. Norton is the individual who used the term "boycotting". I never mentioned any such practice, nor did I ever plan on boycotting anybody. Boycotting a label and waiting to purchase titles from that label are two different concepts. I do plan on purchasing Beyond the Door. I own many Code Red dvd titles, but the term "boycotting" was used by Code Red, not me. When people are paying consumers, they have a right to make what ever decision they feel is best for their pocketbook. Maybe there is a lesson learned here. Regardless of whether it's a large company or small, the repeated practice of floating dvds into the market after an initial release and having them labeled "exclusive", regardless of the added content, leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially considering when/if you find the " exclusive edition, it ends up costing $10 cheaper than the original release one paid for 3-4 months earlier. I realize that as a small company, Code Red wants to make a profit, but the message that is being sent by this practice doesn't make me want to buy any of their titles initially. I'll wait to hear if indeed this happens again, and bide my time. IMO, I would rather see/know everything up front that is to be included on the disc(s), or I would rather see Code Red simply release it bare-bones with a decent transfer.

9. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

What exactly happened with Terror Circus?

10. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

Sorry for getting emotional guys, if it means anything, you wount be seeing any new BestBuy exclusive of a previously released title with new content couple of month after initial street date for awhile anyway. I dont have anything scheduled for the next several month that would interest them anyway. Seriously, do you think BestBuy wants exclusive on Byron Quisenberry masterpiece like SCREAM or William Fruet's TAPPED or TEENAGE HITCHHIKERS? :) If one appears, I will post on my blog ASAP, OK?

11. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Bill, since you are responding to posts on here I thought I'd ask what have been Code Red's best sellers to date? I'm suprised such demanded titles as Sweet Sixteen and Beyond the Door sold poorly. I've bought all CR titles to date so i'm off the hook lol.

12. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Byron Quisenberry's Scream? Are you guys releasing that too? :)
    I was just wondering, because Trapped and Teenage Hitchhikers are in your line-up, and I thought "why mention Scream?...Oh snap!"

It'd be great if you could. :) But if you couldn't, I understand as well.

I'm still on the lookout for all of your DVDs. I don't have Dead Pit or Sweet Sixteen, but Christmas is coming, so hopefully that'll appear soon. :) Hehe.

At first, I was like "OMG! It's a new release 3 months later"...but since you guys didn't know about it, I don't see you at any fault. That's Best Buy's fault. I'm just very happy you guys take the time to release these fantastic titles, and good luck in the future. May money be with you. ;)

-Josh

13. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Looks like no need to buy this exclusive, if the only new thing is a crappy vhs transfer on second disc.

14. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

Thanks, yes we are releasing SCREAM, the Byron Quisenberry epic, we are shooting for July or August, and we might even do the master in HiDef! He promised he will give us an audio commentary explaining everything you need to know about the prologue and the epilogue with the dolls and that painting, as well who the killer was. He explained it over the phone to the DVD extra producer, and he is actually happy to hear some of you actually hate it, as he kinda admit it isn't a cinematic masterpiece, and gets a kick out of it when pople tell him it's bad! He is a very good sport about the whole thing, and hopes his explanation to the unanswered questions might change the viewers opinion on this film!

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I may get it - I rather liked the VHS version. Watching the new DVD: BEYOND THE DOOR is like a brand new movie.
    My VHS made this flick look like the worst-made film set in San Francisco. Watching it now, it's rather professionally done and the acting is much better than I was impressed before. So many years of underappreciating the flick no thanks to my Video Treasures VHS from the late 80's.
    With that, I'll still get this BB version just because. :) memories, you know, of that tape which I sold a few years ago on Cheesebay.

16. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

That's a really good question. I was thinking about asking that one too...my guess would be Dead Pit, or one of the ones that came out through Media Blasters...simply because those are the ones I seem to see everywhere.

17. killit

killit Active Member

I've only bought dead pit and hated it. Yet I love beyond the door, but have a foregin release. So sales don't often account for taste. Though I didnt know cr btd came with commentaries may pick it up just yet

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I hate double dipping and I hate exclusives (although I buy them as i have a problem and am an extra completest). That being said, in this case Code Red definitely isn't at fault as it's not like they planned this to screw over fans. They are putting out these rare cult releases for the fans, as I doubt there is too much money in them. They weren't making money from the release, they made a last ditch effort to make their expenses back. Is that wrong? I'm sure we'd all do the same thing, as much as they want to please fans, they can't afford to constantly lose money either.

The crappy thing is, that even if they announced this from the beginning I would not be able to buy it, as us Canadians get screwed over with all the exclusives. So if I find out about any exclusive, I just buy it off e-bay, so the company doesn't get my cash for my purchase. So the question I have for you Bill, is any idea why Canadians don't get exclusives? Do you decide that, or does the company? Doesn't make sense for Best Buy to do that as business wise, they aren't going to get any Canadians money as they will just buy them off eBay.

Double dips were bad enough, but this whole exclusive business is getting out of control! Again, Bill, this comment isn't towards you (As you explained your reasoning behind them, damn Best Buy!), but it is frustrating, as now I will probably just buy my copy of Dead Pit and Beyond the Door off eBay for their ridiculously high prices. Any chance we will see any Canadian exclusives? Maybe at Futureshop?

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm already sold! :lol:

A possible master in HiDef with Quisenberry commentary - who could resist? Maybe my Scream hate will turn into bliss. My hatred for Final Exam ceased after watching the DVD so, who knows.

20. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

If I may say so, I was blown away when I opened up my amazon box and found Beyond the Door with the o-card, which I hadn't even heard of until after I had purchased it, so thank you. Am so impressed with your output so far that I am even trying to buy your films that I am not overly interested in (just purchased Derby, which I am not psyched up about but am interested in seeing at almost full retail just because I want to keep your company going and see what else is up your sleeve next! Even though I realize not everyone can purchase all the titles like this I feel even more strongly that I do so.