BIG NEWS FOR UNIVERSAL MONSTER FANS - Frankenstein Legacy Set!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I was lucky enough to pick up these films when they were first released, but for those who didn't, this news is for you. There won't be any extras like on the older OOP discs, and the transfers are likely to be the same, but it's better than nothing, right?
    [​IMG]
    Frankenstein: The Legacy Collection

Release Date: 04/27/2004
    Packaging: Digipak with Outer Box

Disc One:
    Frankenstein
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Son of Frankenstein

Disc Two:
    Ghost of Frankenstein

House of Frankenstein

It looks like they are going to try to fit 3 movies on one disc, which will probably effect the quality. I don't know why they omitted Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman from the set, either. The gap between Ghost of Frankenstein and House of Frankenstein is MAJOR. I'd imagine we will see more of these legacy boxsets in the future, probably for characters like Dracula, The Wolfman, The Invisible Man, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Maybe we will also see a Karloff/Lugosi legacy boxset with The Black Cat, The Raven, Black Friday and The Invisible Ray? Only time will tell...

Last edited: Dec 31, 2003
  2. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

The only reason I didn't pick up the first set before they went OOP was because of the price. Now I regret it. I wonder how much these will be.

3. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

The set will retail for $26.98, but it will be $19.99 in most places.

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

That's a sweet price Lyle, even in absence of extras.

I'd rather have Invisible man double features with extras, like the original Universal discs, but if I can get one set with all the sequels for $20, I wouldn't complain. :D

5. Thanks for the info Lyle.

If the reviews say that the picture quality is decent on these I will be jumping on them, especially at this price.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'd bet the transfers here - at worse - are the same as the original releases.

I have the originals, and therefore have no reason to get this. However, I'm thrilled to see these getting back on the market.

We need a Dracula box, since one of the Dracula films was not released. I don't really like Invisible Man, but maybe with all the sequels, I'd give it another go. I'd certainly go for a Creature from the Black Lagoon box, though.

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Count me in for Creature from the Black Lagoon.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Only 20 bucks? Sweet.

I hope this lowers the prices of the original DVD's w/ the extras though, then I'll just grab those.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The originals will probably GAIN in price, I'd think. I mean, they're "better", as it were. Still, you never know. Don't forget, only the "major" titles got special features anyway. In this box, Frankenstein did, but the other four movies got only trailers. Since the originals, with the features, are easily available outside of R1, does it really matter? Only Dracula in R1 has anything you can't easily get elsewhere.

10. bWo Stevie

bWo Stevie Guest

Kinda a letdown. The lack of FMTWM and HOD is very upsetting.

But I'll still probably be buying it for Son/Ghost/House movies since I didn't buy the older releases.

11. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I think Bride of Frankenstein was only an hour and 10 minutes long, so the thought of three movies on one disc isn't as bad as it sounds.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The only Frankenstein sequel of any length is Son of Frankenstein (which is excellent, by the way). Most of the Universal horror titles were a little over an hour in length, and they're all 4:3 black and white, so it should be easy to squeeze them in.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I bet Meets the Wolfman and House of Dracula will each be in the Wolfman and Dracula legacy sets, since they're both a little short of sequels.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Agreed. The Wolf Man box will be great (although, of course, I have all those). The Dracula box should be good. The Mummy box though.... boy I had a hard time with some of those......

15. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Well i am glad to see that they are at least putting in efort to re release these.But i might just continue to purchace the older disks.

16. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Well you can still pick up the R1 Classic Monster Collection for around $160 new. I'd say it's worth $20 a film considering the extras and the fact that with these lesser re-releases it may gain in value. I haven't watched them yet save for a bit of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN but it's nice to have and I'm sure I'll get around to watching them eventually.

Edit: And if that's too pricey you can always pick this up - http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1240

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yep, that's the one I've got. It even plays perfectly fine in my parent's old R1 NTSC DVD player, so if anyone's concerned about it not working have no fears.

But neither box set contains the spanish version of Dracula, which is really the ultimate extra on the stand alone release of Lugois's masterpiece.

18. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Actually the US box set does indeed have the Spanish version.

19. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Sweet, I'll be ordering this before months end. Thanks Andrew!

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Despite not having the Spanish version, the sets that are out there are still worth getting. I don't know how often you think you're going to watch the spenish version, but once was enough for me. Not that it was bad, but I just don't expect to be watching it multiple times. I have watched the Lugosi version more than once though :)