Biggest DVD pet peeve.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Mar 7, 2007.

?

Things that piss me off.

1. security seals that leave hard to remove residue

22.1%
  2. Loose DVD in case

27.9%
  3. Improperly positioned jacket causing security seals to tear top/bottom of cover art

17.6%
  4. Hard to get off bonded plastic on spine

4.4%
  5. To many security seals

2.9%
  6. Dents or scratches on cardboard snapper cases that you didn't notice though plastic rap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. security seals that tear cardboard snapper cases

2.9%
  8. stickers on Cardboard sleeves

5.9%
  9. Dented or torn Cardboard sleeves

1.5%
  10. wrinkled cases

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Bland new DVD's that contain small scratches or fingerprints.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other (specify)

14.7%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I think we all have some across those little annoyances that on the surface seem like not a big deal but you can't help but being pissed off by it. Pick your biggest.

2. The residue the stickers leave behind has been a BITCH for me!

Out of 700+ I own, maybe about 5 or 6 have this residue...still sticky too!! I believe my 3-disc Suspiria still has this! Tried peeling it out with my finger, but to no avail.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You should try a little WD40 on a paper towel that works for me or go out and buy a product like Goo Gone. That should get rid of it.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Loose dvds in the case. Nothing makes me more pissed then opening up an order from some online company, and hearing "The Rattle". Especially if I'm not ready to watch the film just yet. Now I gotta open the dam dvd to check to see its ok.

5. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I hate when the DVD cover sits just a bit too high or low in the DVD case and when you remove the security stickers it gets ripped a bit.

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Count me in on hating removing the security stickers and fucking up my case as a result.

But my biggest peeve is all the time it takes to get to the actual movie.

1. DVD logo, can't skip

2. Animated menu intro, can't skip

3. Before the movie, security notice, can't skip

4. before the movie, security notice in foreign language, can't skip

5. Before the movie, notice about how commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the DVD company, can't skip.

6. Before the movie, notice about how commentaries do not necessarily reflect the views of the DVD company in a foreign lanuage, can't skip.

Drives me bonkers, man. Of course, the above do not usually happen all on one DVD (usually some can be skipped, while others cannot), but I feel like I'm always attempting to fast forward before I can get to the movie. And If I can skip, then I usually have to back up to make sure I didn't miss anything. :fuck: :lol:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Studios dropping inserts.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Nothing pisses me off like double sided discs in general. However, I also hate when the box art is placed in the wrong place, enabling the security tape to screw it up. Blue Underground, I am looking at you.

I am also not fond of DVDs that come with an introduction by Lloyd Kaufman, but I have managed to avoid most of those.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  9. Franco

Franco Weekender

I'd have to choose "Loose DVD in case". Considering the DVDs I buy from the USA, Japan or UK have to travel more kilometers than those of any other buyers, at least 35% of them have arrived loose.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Pretty much all of these things described above get under my skin. The one that pisses me off the most is the loose dvd in case. When buying a dvd in a store, I now shake the wrapped dvd to hear anything rattling inside. If that's the case, I don't buy it. You can't control any of that when it comes to online purchases. The worst was when I bought The Blind Dead box set and two of the dvds were loose. I wasn't a happy camper.

Another thing I can't stand is forced trailers on dvds that you cannot skip past. Hello, Miramax. :fuck:

11. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

The list sums up nicely most of my DVD pet peeves, but the worst is still BROKEN NUBS inside the cases, causing a "floater" disc to occur. I return these whenever I can, but it's a bitch in an online order.

12. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Security seals that leave residue, but there is a secret, use the sticky end of the security seal to peel it off.

Works almost everytime.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

This seems to happen with nearly every Media Blasters/Shriek Show dvd I own.

14. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I'd have to rate "Loose DVD in Case" slightly ahead of "Improperly positioned jacket causing security seals to tear top/bottom of cover art". If it was shipped to me, if I ever hear a loose DVD in the case, rest assured that the bottom of the disc will look like a cat sharpened its claws on it.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Workshed is on it. Those are all my pet peeves as well. And it's a big reason I still love laserdiscs...when I see FBI warnings and other crap, I just thumb forward. Laserdisc does not have the ability to cancel out functions like DVD.

And I've said before, there WILL come a day when DVDs have advertisements that you CAN'T skip over. It's inevitable.

I'll add some other gripes:

- DVDs where climactic or pivotal scenes are on the cover or in the menus. Planet of the Apes is an example, another is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. In CTHD, the FINAL SCENE comes up when you go to the language selection menu.

- I don't care how good you are at graphics. Just make the menus SIMPLE. Start movie, chapters, setup, bonus features. I don't need clever transition graphics, long loading crap, etc.

- Make it clear which option is selected!!! Try our little friend the arrow. Here's one: "-->". See how simple that was? If I go to the language menu, and there are two options, English and Japanese, and one is in green the other is in yellow, HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ONE IS SELECTED? Put an arrow next to the selected option, don't just change the color of the option. Lazy.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I chose "Other" for ALL OF THE ABOVE. I'm so fucking anal about the condition of my DVDs, no one other than you folks have any sort of understanding.
    One of the things I hate on the DVDs themselves that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is when the Menu Creator thinks it looks neat to give away plot points/scares/etc. in the menu design. I know that often times it's an old film but not everyone has seen them all and to reveal spoilers right as you're about to watch the movie is the worst.

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

:lol:

18. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

100% agreed. I really despise animated menus and consider them a waste. Blah, blah, blah, just get me to the options and don't show what is going to happen in the movie. I think it was Idiocracy that had the worst menu I've seen. I had no idea what option I was choosing or where it was going to take me.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

All of these are pretty fucking annoying, but the worst by far is when DVDs are loose in their cases, because it can damage the disc and sometimes prevent you from watching it. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  20. Sam

Sam Member

Loose discs and hard to remove residue really suck. I'm a little less critical about it when I find the disc used for $3-5 but it's still nice to have a fresh looking case without having to replace it with a new one.