Biggest DVD pet peeve.

Discussion in 'General' started by Ash28M, Mar 7, 2007.

?

Things that piss me off.

1. security seals that leave hard to remove residue

22.1%
  2. Loose DVD in case

27.9%
  3. Improperly positioned jacket causing security seals to tear top/bottom of cover art

17.6%
  4. Hard to get off bonded plastic on spine

4.4%
  5. To many security seals

2.9%
  6. Dents or scratches on cardboard snapper cases that you didn't notice though plastic rap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. security seals that tear cardboard snapper cases

2.9%
  8. stickers on Cardboard sleeves

5.9%
  9. Dented or torn Cardboard sleeves

1.5%
  10. wrinkled cases

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Bland new DVD's that contain small scratches or fingerprints.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Other (specify)

14.7%
  1. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

All of these bother me, but mostly the improperly positioned jacket which ends up torn by the security seals. I chose this because it's probably the one that's happened most frequently. Cases where the security seals leave residue or in some cases tear the plastic can be replaced, but the jacket itself can't witout buying a new disc.

Speaking of having a hard time getting security stickers off, I recently picked up the new editions of April Fool's Day and My Bloody Valentine. I think Paramount may have simply recalled the older artwork versions, opened them up and replaced the jackets with the new artwork. Both titles have the old artwork on the discs themselves and the inserts. Both cases had old security stickers that had been cut down the middle underneath the new security stickers. Damn Paramount.

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I actually went to Wal-Mart yesterday to try this suggestion of yours, but I lost my nerve and ended up mailing it back to Amazon for a replacement. I have My Name is Earl kind of luck so I just knew something back would happen to me if I tried it. It almost never fails.

3. Spit

Spit Active Member

I went with other. DVDs that piss me off the most are ones that play annoying music during the menu. I like to watching movies at night in bed, sometimes I crash out before the film is through. Then I have insane dreams about whatever song is being played over and over again from the dvd menu. I cant count how many weird dreams I've had with the Martin theme playing in the background.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Another good one I forgot about. Those discs with silent/stagnet menus will just shut off after 15 minutes or so, at least on my player. Add a loud ass tune and it's waking you up in the middle of the night after some fucked up dreams.:eek:

5. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I don't get this too much with the horror discs, but I hate dvds with galleries that play music, if the repeat is too frequent...

I have the Disney Cinderella disc, and there's a really annoying updated and sped up version of the "So This is Love" music...every time you select an image and then go back to the thumbnail screen the music starts over, and it BLARES at you...

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

By far, a loose DVD in the case, since that can actually damage it. Get some glue remover and I've yet to have a problem getting residues off cases. Anyway, new cases are cheap.... Definately loose discs...

7. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

--Add a loud ass tune and it's waking you up in the middle of the night after some fucked up dreams--

Oh God, this reminds me!

I have a DVD of a TV show called "Abigails Party", a classic!

Anyway, The play is based around a house party of adults, it was made in the 70's. In the play, teenagers next door are having a party. I fell asleep while watching it, and I was in a half sleep for quite some time, getting more and more annoyed at my own neighbors, since their music was annoying the hell out of me, preventing me from truly falling into a deep sleep.

Anyway, I was finally dragged into consciousness, only to realize that the "music through the wall" sound was infact the soundtrack to the main menu of the DVD.... :lol:

8. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Improperly positioned jacket causing security seals to tear top/bottom of cover art.

I hate that and when the stickers are on the slipsleeves and you have to slooooowly pull off the sticker without ripping the cardboard or leaving sticker backing on the sleeve.

9. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Other for me...Sticky residue? No prob, just use 91% alcohol on the plastic, lighter fluid on the paper inserts. If the case is wrinkled I have a stash of perfect brand-new amarays.
    My peeve is hideously miscut and/or wrinkled artwork inserts. My AB copy of Torso still irritates me.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

Mine is more a Canadian pet peeve...the bilingual packaging. Sure, I am all for supporting both our French and English national languages, but really, why do the designers of the French text always make it so ugly and obtrusive? I have been deterred from so many DVDs because of that packaging, which is probably a good thing for my bank account, but still, I've missed out on a lot of discs I want because of this. Some companies do well by having a paper insert on the cover that has the French text (like the recent SCARFACE reissue) but usually it is an ugly mess (see, most recently, THE DEPARTED).

Unskippable FBI warnings and the like piss me off too. I wish more people would follow the Criterion lead.

11. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I've had to deal with all this shit at one time or another. It's nice to know I'm not the only anal person out there when it comes to DVDs. I'll stand in the store and examine every copy of a DVD until I find the least fucked up one.

12. Sarouk

Sarouk New Member

I'm Canadian too and hate that. If there is no English only packaging version then I order from U.S. On-line store. There is a bonus doing that as even with shipping and exchange rate I end up paying 4-5$ less than buying in the store. Downside is I have to wait a few days.

13. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Improperly positioned jacket causing security seals to tear top/bottom of cover art

No matter how you attempt to remove this, the item's never going to be right. I've resorted to cutting the seal where it meets the paper so the cover doesn't get wrecked.

14. studio1

studio1 Member

`
    Mortis, you aint the only one mate :D

I hate those damn security stickers - bloody ridiculous putting those on the outside cardboard sleeve :mad:

15. MrVess

MrVess Guest

All the plastic.

Every DVD I buy from the US comes encased in more plastic than Michael Jackson's body and with more "security seals" than a smallpox container. I've never seen an R2, 3, 4 or 5 DVD with these cursed things.

16. CubeOfTheDead

CubeOfTheDead Member

The one thing that without fail always pisses me off is DVDs WITHOUT SUBTITLES. I don't care if the movie is in english anyway, i like to watch it with subtitles. And for DVD companies not to have included such an easy thing just grinds my gears.

The lack of inserts in some DVDs is also really annoying too.