Biggest turn off

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jul 19, 2009.

?

vote

1. "Based on true story"

6.5%
  2. Rated PG-13

51.9%
  3. Remake

39.0%
  4. Sequel

2.6%
  1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

What are the most annoying factors about about recent horror movies?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Going to go with sequel. I've enjoyed at least a few of the remakes...can't really think of any of the sequels I've liked all that much.

3. Look's like I'm the first to choose the usually bullshitty "Based on a shockingly true story..." scenario, namely cause it usually mean's that the comment should be taken with more then just a little grain of salt, and that a giant shit-sandwhich is about to be shown on screen (as the movie, that is).

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Sequel is actually a turn on for me. Chances are, if the original was good, the sequel will revisit what made it good. I liked Cold Prey II as much as I did Cold Prey.

I went with PG-13, but only because there were so few choices. My biggest turn off would be "Direct to DVD."

5. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

:fire: REMAKES :fuck:

I have no issue with the other three.

6. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Remakes- I am sick of them- I have no problem with non direct to dvd sequals and based on a true story is actually a plus to me no matter how loosely based it is. PG-13 doesnt bother me either if it is done right (like Drag Me to Hell). There are a few good remakes out there but I am just sick of them- they are remaking about everything ever made.

7. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Rated PG-13 - not that there aren't good PG-13 horror movies, but I prefer balls-to-the-wall craziness in a horror movie, not the neutered crap you get when actors have to say "fudge", "shoot", "gosh-darn" in what should be very intense situations (to say nothing of neuticled gore and nudity).

Some movies don't require language/gore/nudity to make their point, but for those that do, it's glaringly obvious (and painful to sit through) when it's been sanitized.

8. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

PG-13 for me. It is the biggest turn off in terms or seeing it in the theater as I know that the most annoying shit head teenagers will be sitting near me.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Remakes top my list, though PG-13 rated remakes tend to be even worse.

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

PG-13 because the movies nowadays aren't quite up to snuff and the lack of some crazy gore or tits for a cheap pop can make a meh movie devoid of entertainment. If it's good, it's good, but I find comfort in the R zone.

A lot of people online like to hate people who are automatically against a PG-13 rating. While it's true you can't judge a movie by its rating, a PG-13 sequel to an R-rated film is understandably upsetting and I don't know about you, but I tend to R rated films more in general. The day movies are free, they can make The Beyond II rated G for all I care, but when I gotta drop $10, I'm not looking to take a chance on PG-13 slashers that were reviewed poorly. Let's be real, there's a good chance you will be burned going into something like that.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

PG-13, not because I need all my movies R, but usually these days a PG-13 is there because the studio requires it, not the story, and that's the wrong way to go about things.

12. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i just hate hearing "based on a true story" it never is...just crappy marketing

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

PG-13 - Back in the 70's and 80's it didn't feel like films compromised to get a PG rating and just felt like a natural rating for that film. Outside of Drag Me to Hell and the odd ghost film. PG-13 now a days usually means catering to to the studios. Going to the movies costs way to much now a days for that garbage.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Easily remakes. PG-13 movies can be ok (I thought Haunting In Connecticut wasn't too bad and it was also "based on a true story") but the remakes simply rehash old movies with dashes of CGI or random 'omg! put down ur cellphonez!' scenes for kids, which I am not any more.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Remakes. Not only because the original is guaranteed better, but because so many people come out of the woodwork saying "don't knock it till you've seen it." Yeah, I'm going to spend money one something I know will be crap instead of putting that money to good use like trying out an original indie or something. That makes a whole lof ot fucking sense. :fuck:

The rest of the list doesn't even compare. Sequels? Meh. "Based on a true story"? It's an ad campaign out side of the filmmaker's control; I don't even watch trailers so I don't give a shit. PG-13, doubt the film really had a chance to be a hard-r anyways. Scripts like that are rarely just a few trims short of an R; they never really had it to begin with. Direct to video is the new frontier; theatricals are too overbloated to really have some meat. If you want it shown in a theater chain, hard R are pretty tame too.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Anything can be "based on a true story," and all that message does for me is tell that I can look up the ending somewhere, and that it "grounds" the story in a way I'd rather not have in my Horror.

17. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Some of my favorite horror films were "Based on a True Story..." TCM comes to mind. I don't see that as anything new.

The remakes get tiresome, but I have enjoyed some of them, so I can't put that one down. I usually end up seeing them when they come out, and there have been some crappy ones but I've enjoyed others.

Haven't liked any of the sequels in recent years.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

agreed and on the remake side i look forward to em because most remakes prompt new dvd releases of the original films like stepfather,my bloody valentine uncut and the friday the 13th movie series getting deluxe editions

here's hoping to a nightmare on elm street series special editions when the remake comes out next year

19. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I really need to combine my answer, I voted for PG-13, but to be specific it needs to be PG-13 Remakes.

20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Sequels are usually pretty lousy. That's my choice.