Biggest turn off

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Jul 19, 2009.

?

vote

1. "Based on true story"

6.5%
  2. Rated PG-13

51.9%
  3. Remake

39.0%
  4. Sequel

2.6%
  1. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I always thought it was remakes but when I saw the PG-13 choice I started thinking and realized that, with recent movies, I've probably actually watched more remakes than PG-13 movies.

2. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

the really quick camera work, the MTV-esque editing seen in the TCM remake and the ones that came after it.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

:D

Considering most PG-13's are only a few frames or a "damn/hell/shit/fuck" away from an official R rating I really don't see what's worth complaining about. "There's 8 frames of a blood squirt cut? DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!" ... It's nice to have but overall inconsequencial. Considering all the Friday the 13th fans who just rolled over about the current DVDs still not being uncut, it seems like an odd sticking point.

And as if remakes aren't catering to the lowest common denominator as well. So they want to make horror for kiddies, that's fine every market can use a horror film. Not all horror has to be for 18 year old males.

Remakes are a much more blatant cash in.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Meh, non of those really bother me. I understand the pg-13 argument the most though because it kind of spoils what you WON'T be seeing.

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

:)

Yes, but typically what makes a PG-13 is it's only violence, or it's only profanity or whatever (just a tad bit more than PG would allow) - you gotta give a little to get a little. I want the whole kit and kaboodle. If I want cut crap I'll watch it on TBS or TNT. I definitely think they will cut what they can to get more teenagers into the movie without a guardian.

If they use something like Grizzly or Blood and Lace (which somehow passed for PG many moons ago) for their standards on a PG-13 movie then I'd be alright with it :D

6. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

The thing that pisses me off about PG-13 horror movies, is that they always release it on dvd UNCUT or UNCENSORED: FOOTAGE TOO TERRIFYING FOR THEATRES!! And sometimes it really is alot more blood and guts. Which pisses me off even more because that means that the studio just didnt have any balls to go all the way. And when it doesnt give anything more tot he movie, its false advertising!!! So they cant win either way in my book.UNLESS the movie is good on its own. :)

7. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Remakes becasue they smell of laziness.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

"Based on a true story" - by far.

Sure, hearing they are remaking another classic usually pisses me off. But now that they've already remade so many and people don't care (well, some care more now and others care a lot less)... I've realized there is nothing more odius than "Based on a true story." Basically, since Open Water- it's gotten so fucking out of hand, it's ridiculous! I can't even keep track of all the movies doing this it's so overdone now...

Worst of all, it's a gimmick that works. People hear it's a true story and they flock to see this shit. And in all the reviews, they actually discuss the real life facts and what the filmmakers lied about. And the movies all end the same way. With scrolling type or printed type. And some fucking mysteriousness about the killer never being caught. Or disappearing into the sunset (Wolf Creek).

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I went with Remakes, although I have enjoyed a lot of them, it is getting a little ridiculous and I would rather see new stories told.

Based on a true story is annoying as well, as 99% of them never are. It's a small annoyance though, nothing to get upset about.

PG13, eah. There have been a lot of great PG13 movies, Drag Me to Hell being a great recent example. But it does bug me when they do a remake of an R rated film and then cut out all the gore out of it to make it PG, even though that was why we enjoyed the original. In the case of something like say Die Hard 4, where they cut out swearing to make it PG so they can attract a bigger audience, that was kind of annoying and made me just hold out for the DVD. I do understand why they do it from a marketing point of view though.

I've never been bothered by sequels. If the first movie does really well, then that's just something you have to know is coming. movies are all about money. Anyways, I have enjoyed a lot of sequels, some even more then the first film. And even the not so great one, usually they are still fun to watch just to revisit the characters that you liked in the first film. Not sure how I feel about equals made 20 years later. They are fun to watch from a nostalgia point of view, but none of that ever hold up to the earlier films. Star Wars and Indiana Jones are great examples of this. And as much as I want to see a new Ghostbusters film, I know it will end up being terrible.

Overall though, I can;t say any of these really piss me off. There have been plenty of great remakes, sequels, and PG13 horror films. And the Based on a True Story isn't really a big deal to me. It's not like it ruins the film, and most of the time I know before watching it whether it is a real story or not.

My biggest turn off in horror films would be terrible CG. If you don't have the budget for it, then don't do it! And isn't CG more money then a fake blood, or latex, or puppets, ect.? I hate when you see a shot that could have easily been done for real, but instead is done with CGI, and it just totally takes you out of the film. I Am Legend was a great example of this. All the CG just ruined the film for me, and no matter how much I was buying Will Smiths isolation sorrow, as soon as the zombies started attacking it just felt like a video game. I wasn't really worried for his character as I know video game characters can;t hurt you. Why couldn't they have just gotten a bunch of skinny guys and covered them with a good make up job?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. nekropimp

nekropimp Guest

That's easy for me...PG-13 horror (with some minor exceptions, i.e.: DRAG ME TO HELL and HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT...those were both great PG-13 flicks)...and i am sick to death of the American remakes of Asian horror flicks...sick to death i tell you!

11. indrid13

indrid13 Well-Known Member

Remake=yuck

12. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I don't give a damn if a movie is based on a true story!!!!! I'm so sick of seeing that at a start of a movie. Does it really make a difference if it's true or not??? and most times the movie is so barely based on the true story that it wouldn't be recognizable to the people who lived the event.

It really annoys me when people at work say "OOOh that movie looks good...and it's based on a true story". They think it's a word for word, act for act recounting of what happened. Jeez!!!

Yeah I voted for the "True Story" option.