Black Christmas (1974) - New DVD Likely This December

Discussion in 'General' started by It's me Billy, Jun 17, 2006.

1. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas. A Black Christmas, that is.

A couple of days ago I emailed Dan Duffin, webmaster of the awesome Black Christmas website itsmebilly.com. I asked him if Critical Mass has any plans of rereleasing the 1974 original Black Christmas on DVD sometime around December to coincide with the release of the remake in theaters. I also asked him about Lacey Chabert's role in the remake. Here is his reply.

So it seems 1974's Black Christmas will finally be getting that 16x9 enhanced transfer so many of us have been waiting for. December seems like such a long way off. It's cool that they're also going to be releasing it on HD DVD or Blu Ray in addition to SD DVD. I wonder if all of the extras from the 2002 Collector's Edition DVD will be carried over or if there will be any new extras? Hopefully they'll include the original 1974 cover art again. I also can't wait to see the remake in theaters (although I know it won't be as good as the excellent original) and will certainly be buying it on DVD too, probably in late Spring/Early Summer 2007.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'll definitely double-dip. I own the Critical Mass full frame version (signed by the awesome John Saxon at the recent Motor City Comic Con).

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I already own the first 2 DVD's, so I would only tripple dip once I get a HD machine.

4. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

tempting but i will also wait till i go HD (witch wont be till there is only one)

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Great news! :banana:

6. The DVD I have gets very little play...it would take a lot to make me triple dip on this title.

7. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I'll definitely be double-dipping on this one.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Good news, but I already have the Critical Mass widescreen re-release and am perfectly happy with it. This new DVD will really have to be something special to make me want to double-dip.

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Lucky! :D Did you ask him anything or any comments? The thought; Degrees of separation - ARGENTO is to Saxon (Tenebre) as to Saxon is to Savini. That's really cool, Savini. Great collectible! Saxon has worked with so many cool people, Bruce Lee amongst them.

Did he sign your Tenebre disc? :D I would've taken that and Enter the Dragon.

Who was it that had a signed copy of Land of the Dead by Romero? I forgot but read it one of the threads.

As to Black Christmas, awesome news. Will buy!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I dunno, but I have a Dawn of the Dead mini-poster signed by Romero. :D

And yeah, John Saxon is the shit. I wouldn't mind having his signature on my DVDs of Black Christmas and Tenebre, or even Cannibal Apocalypse. Fuck A Nightmare on Elm Street. ;)

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Yeah, I had no intention of choosing NOES over Black Christmas for the autograph. No comparison between the 2 films. Unfortunatley at this time I don't have a copy of Tenebre so just Black Christmas got signed. He was so cool. He seemed actually like he was pleasently surprised someone approached him with something concerning Black Christmas. He came off as very fond of participating in the film and mentioned that he wasn't too enthused with the pending remake. I think at a comic convention it was an unusual request for an autograph for that film.

Of all the celebrities I've met so far at the many conventions I've attended, John Saxon was one of my top 3 favorites. What an awesome film veteran. I'll post a picture or 2 tonight in this thread of me with him.

12. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

one of my all time favorites.
    i will be triple-dipping for sure.

not to try to one-up anyone...

I have my WS black christmas DVD signed by Kier Dullea AND Margot Kidder, plus my original WB Black Christmas videotape signed by John Saxon! needless to say I'm a big fan of this movie! Keep 'em coming!

13. killnstalk

killnstalk Guest

anyone think this will top the the special edition that came out few years ago?

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Well if it's going to be anamorphic then the answer is yes.

15. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I've been holding back on this classic for years now because of the anamorphic issue. I'm already sold on it if they make it right this time.

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

That's awesome! You even got a picture? A Definitely must-see, if you get the chance to post it? :D

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

That's very cool.

Did you get it at a show, event, or purchased?

I was observing the signatures on the masters DVD's and I thought, how hard would it be to get the actual thing. It's so difficult, so autographs like that are priceless.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  18. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I got it when he was at Horrorfind Weekend two years ago. Meeting him was one of the best moments of my life. :)

19. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I'll gladly triple dip for my favorite horror film. Fuck the remake.

20. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I've never seen this, but I've been waiting for an impending release of the original since the remake was announced. I"m just glad I didn't give into temptation which nearly happened on numerous occassions.