Black Christmas (1974)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by J.C., Feb 8, 2009.

1. J.C.

J.C. Guest

What does everyone think of this movie? I just ordered it, even though i've never seen it before, but I already know i'll like it. I've been dying to see this for awhile now lol.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I smell a shit-storm...

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Rather than go into great detail, I'll keep it short and sweet. It's a brilliant film, made stronger by a cast of exceptionally good actors. The film has an exceptionally creepy atmosphere throughout, and it's CRYSTAL clear that Halloween was greatly inspired by this film. (Look at some of the shot compositions, POV shots, etc). If you enjoy suspense-filled horror, you'll love Black Christmas. (It's still one of the only films I actually find scary. Halloween's lost its "scariness" over the years IMO, but Black Christmas has certainly retained it.)

~Matt

4. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I actually like Black Christmas more than Halloween, and I LOVE Halloween. It just has more of a creepy feeling of bleakness and a dark energy while Halloween has that "roller coaster" feel that Carpenter always talks about. Not that that's a bad thing, but I much prefer to dirty Black Christmas vibe.

I also love some of the humor (Margot Kidder's character is so great) and I do find it actually scary on certain parts. Such a great flick.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here.

~Matt

6. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

One of the few movies that can still creep me out...even after watching it countless times.

7. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

This is one of those movies I needed to give a second chance. I like it, don't get me wrong, but the first time I saw it I felt it was way over-hyped - kinda felt let down. Felt there was more scenes of the house mother taking nips of MadDog 20/20 then anything else and the ending pissed me off. I tried watching it again like 4 years later and enjoyed it much more. I hope you got the Blu :)

8. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Wow, a Black Christmas thread! I've never seen one of those before.

9. kiddo

kiddo New Member

This film is perfection! I agree with others here that this film still has the power to scare me after all these years. I love "Halloween", but I like this film better.

10. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Same here as well! :D

Black Christmas is one of my all time favorite horror films. and my second favorite slasher. It just has an overwhelmingly creepy feel through out the whole film. and the comedy bits are really funny...(thanks to Margot Kidder!) one of the only horror films that still creeps me out or scares me to this day, (along with Texas Chainsaw Massacre).

my favorite scene is when
    Margot is killed.
    how its intercut with the kids singing and her getting killed is just super creepy.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yup! Gotta love juxtaposition! (Works brilliantly, doesn't it?)

~Matt

12. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

sure does! :)

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's an exceptional film,and although HALLOWEEN is a perfect mood film for me I find BLACK CHRISTMAS to be far more frightening.It is the more original of the two.Fine cast,well shot,creepy score.A model low budgeter and an obvious model for many of the tropes that would be done to death (but seldom as well) in many of the post HALLOWEEN /FRIDAY THE 13TH era films.Deserves to be more widely seen.

14. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

God, its a simply fantastic film :D

What an amazing cast who take every moment seriously and give performances that lift the film into a much higher catagoery than your averege B horror movie.

Its a really creepy film...thats why I love it.

Its just a shame about that awful remake in 2006 :rolleyes:

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Add me to that list as well.

16. J.C.

J.C. Guest

I know I'm gonna like it. Plus I don't think i've read a negative review about it at all. I liked the remake, since it was just a mindless bloodbath, and those are my kinda horror movies, but I do also like suspense and "creepy" movies, so this is why I wanna see the original :)

17. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Never heard of it. Is it new? :)

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Well, I still find the final cahse in Halloween scary, and the final chase is the crowning achievement of any good slasher in my book. Black Christmas does, however, sustain the mood for a longer count, partly because it keeps the killer and the obvious heroine under the same roof for most of the running time. But when Halloween picks up the pace, it really picks up the pace. Halloween also boasts the single best theme of any horror movie I've ever seen.

I wouldn't want to choose between the two, but obviously, I think Black Christmas is an excellent horror movie.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Love it, one of the best slashers out there! And I Agree, there are definitely some moments that creep me out during the film. I don't know if I like it more then Halloween, but the fact that it's that close makes it a must own.

20. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I attended a screening of Black Christmas last night at the Underground Cinema here in Toronto. It was an original 35mm print. Very beat up and the colors were drained out giving it a sepia tone. The picture was still pretty clear for the most part, albeit with TONS of scratches and speckles, but that just adds to the overall experience. The theater was about half full but everyone in attendance was very quiet. You can tell these were people that really respected the film. Miss Mac's scenes invoked a lot of laughter in the crowd ("I wouldn't wear this to have my liver out!"). Was a great night.