Black Christmas (1974)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by J.C., Feb 8, 2009.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

huh? explain?

Come on Ash36 help me out with my question. :confused:

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I've been ok with the ending of Black Christmas. Sure, it's not what would really happen, but if I wanted a police procedural, I'd watch CSI. Alfred Hitchcock once said, "the people in my movies don't call the police, because that would be BORING". He's right. Obviously, the police are part of the plot in this movie, but if they weren't inept, then there would be no movie.

And Ash is right about true crime. There were two high-profile murders in my town this year, both from people that were once in police custody or prison, but released.

As far as finding out who the killer is, Dobby, you'll just never get an answer to that. The killer in this movie is like the contents of the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. It's up to you. Besides, the killer is just so damn psychotic, isn't it much more frightening to wonder just who he (or maybe she) is? And to wonder if they're still out there?

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The handling of the killer in this film is one of it's strongest elements, as far as i'm concerned.

4. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

This has been annual December viewing for me. Watched it last night with a couple of friends who had never seen it before. Best part about it was watching their expressions during the last half hour of the film as things really get tense and suspenseful. All four of my friends were either covering half their face or had their knees clung tightly to their chest. It was really amusing!

5. rhett

rhett Administrator

The whole BC/Halloween debate had me remember another thing that irks me about the movie. Andrea Martin's character is so poorly stitched together. She's bookish and shy near the start, breaking down to tears in the middle, a loud mouth provocateur during the exchange with the search party members, and then back to being weak and scared. There's just no consistency, and it's as if Clark and Martin just handled her character scene to scene, changing her temperment to better sell the tone of the scene (if it was a comedic scene, she's anchoring it, but if it's a scary scene she's in pieces to help sell fear). There's also a scene early on when Jess' boyfriend is first mentioned and she repeats his name with a loving respect. A kind of "awwww" moment. She sees him later at the house and gives him an affectionate greeting. A few scenes later, though, she sort of scowls at his name saying that she never much cared for him. What?

That scene with her and Jess with the search party goofs at their doorway seems so out of place considering what they've been through and the whole threat of a killer being on the loose. Clark is fairly good and balancing horror and comedy, but that scene, in part because Martin's character is so different in that scene than the ones that come before and after, just really sticks out.

6. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

just picked up the AB BD on the bay. Way better cover art than the Somerville BD release.

7. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

No kidding. That's why I ordered the BD and DVD from Amazon.ca a couple of years ago. The cover art on the US release sucks. I love the Canadian Anchor Bay cover though. A new spin on the classic 1974 art.

8. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

The AB BD of BC? FU, man.

9. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I just watched my MST3K copy of Mitchell the other night and every time I kept seeing John Saxon my mind started trailing to Black Christmas, haha.