Black Christmas (2006) - Trailer

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MorallySound, Nov 5, 2006.

1. killit

killit Active Member

has anyone seen the five minute preview they have on on demand.? Is any of that in the film, cause that was cool.

2. pacinofan

pacinofan Member

I don't remember the "Merry Christmas Mother F@#$&*" scene, so unless Canada got the UK version (which I doubt) that scene was taken out.

This was one of my worst theatre experiences ever as the theatre was filled w/ morons that would not shut up and girls that would scream, than talk about what just scared them. With that in minds, like everybody else says, there is enough gore to at least be watchable, but still a total mess (and there should have a been a lot more nudity if they were going form simple guilty pleasure). Why remake a film if you clearly have idea what made the original a classic?

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Wow that was painful. I can't imagine how anyone can possibly think that this was anything but horrible in every way. They took everything that made the original so creepy and dumbed it down and far as possible. Bad acting, bad dialogue, bad direction. Just awful. I don't usually like to bash films but this was insulting. I can't believe Bob Clark attached his name to this uninspired garbage. This gets my vote for worst of the recent remakes.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I saw it yesterday and was astounded by the level of ineptitude on display. I'd say this one may be even worse than The Fog remake, which was my previous highwater mark for sucking ass.

Was anyone else profoundly disappointed when the movie continued after the logical ending?

5. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Considering I absolutely hated the original, I found the remake to be thoroughly enjoyable. My friend and I have a sick sense of humor I guess as we were laughing the entire time. Not sure if it was meant to be funny, but it was just so fucked up and over the top that I couldn't help it.

I noticed watching that there were several scenes in the trailer that weren't in the final cut. I also felt like the ending was either tacked on or cut up.
    One of the characters (Lacey Chabert I think) is shown in the trailer being pulled into a rotating spikey thing by a strand of tangled lights, but that's nowhere to be seen. Glimpses of the alternate Trachtenberg death are also shown in the US trailer as well as a scene of another girl (not sure who the hell it is) trapped under frozen ice and reaching up to another character

6. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just saw Black Christmas(2006)-liked the original, thought this one was absolute crap!! Not even worth a rental-the dialogue in particular was incredibly lame. There was really no linear narrative either, the jumping back and forth to the killer's backstory was really frustrating and boring.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

What is it exactly about the original that causes you to have such disdain towards it?

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

It was boring, poorly shot, and convoluted.

9. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Oh and it sucked. Forgot to mention that!

10. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I don't assume anyone has gone to troubles comparing the UK and US cuts of this film, but from what I've heard there are some big changes. Can anyone confirm this? And if so, which cut is better? I don't even know if "better" is the right word to use, though ... :p

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

rumored to be coming to dvd on apr 3rd will get it no matter how bad every one says it is

12. killit

killit Active Member

i have the russian dvd, which actually is great quality. will compare to the version I saw in the trailer sometime this weekend

13. killit

killit Active Member

SPOILERS__________>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ok, I'm waiting for my boyfriend (graveyard shift), so I've had a bit more time than expected and I've compared the two. The only differences I could see are two. The tractenburg death in the US, is by iceskates and rather quick. In the European cut, her death is by plastic bag and having her fucking eyes gouged out and dragged down the hall and shit.

The other difference is the end, the euro cut has a shorter, slightly different ending. In the euro cut blonde chick and old chick escape, old chick goes to identify agnes' s body, blonde chick stays in bed.

Old chick down in the morgue, Is like WTF, that's my dead sister, that is not agnes, this is not agnes! All this is intercut with billy dying in the hospital from severe burns.
    Cut to old chick going to blonde chicks hospital room. Old chick, is like blonde chick? Cause blonde chick has her back turned and seems to be sleeping. Blonde chick is not blonde chick, but agnes. blonde chick is getting xrayed downstairs. agnes kills old chick. Blonde chick comes back to her room after getting xrayed. she finds some bloody shit around and is like oh fuck. agnes appears, i think form the ceiling and blonde chick runs turns on that thing that revives people and shocks that bitch in the face. Agnes dies, blonde chick gets picked up by parents and goes home?

In america, it happens like this, old chick identifies billys body comes back agnes is in blonde chicks bed. Agnes kills old chick. same reveal of blood and stuff around. agnes gets shocked dies, then billy appears (cause billy aibnt dead in this one) billy chases blonde chick, struggle eventually she pushes him off the balcony impaling him on a giant xmas tree in the looby of the hospitla. Way over the top addition , but interesting. I think I like the american version more, as the ffilm is just a crazy balls out slasher, it is hard to watch but fun.

14. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Thanks for the comparison! :)

I didn't read it all, though, because I haven't seen the film yet. But I'm going to watch the UK version tonight. If I enjoy it, I'll maybe check out the US version too just for the hell of it! :D

15. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

You know what, I really enjoyed this movie. It's more House of Wax than the original Black Christmas, and I'd even go as far as say that it's more a black comedy than an all-out horror film. In my opinion, this might very well be the most unfairly-maligned slasher since Valentine.

It's fun, fast paced, pretty gory considering our PG-13 modern times, and quite nasty at times.

I did have a serious problem with the cinematography, though. On the one hand, I thought the lighting and color-schemes were wonderful. This is a very colorful little film. On the other hand, the overload of "crazy angles" made me cringe every two seconds. Felt like amateur-hour.

As for characters, plot, performances and whatnot, it was all good enough in my opinion. I mean, the film did turn into a big joke near the end when
    a now-male Agnes appeared and starting killing people alongside her yellow brother
    . And although I like the fact that Glen Morgan didn't copy the original movie's signature eye-shot, the abundance of eye-imagery went totally overboard.

The only REAL problem I had was an unforgivable, glaring mistake. Tchaikovsky music in a film is (almost) always a good thing, but there is no such thing as "The Dance of the Sugar Plum Faries"! There is only one Sugar Plum Fairy. I can't believe no one in the production could correct this annoying mistake, especially since this music is one of they key themes of the film. (Why is it a key theme? I have no idea.)

EDIT: I watched the UK version but I would have loved to see that climax! :D And I'm also curious about the ice-skate death ...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  16. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I fucking love Valentine. I don't get what there is to hate about it.

17. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I know!!

18. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I hate how the DVD cockteases you with a glimpse of a deleted scene in a featurette, but provides no deleted/alternate material otherwise!

Have you read the novel that it's adapted from?

19. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

i saw both the US and UK cut of the film. the UK version has different and better phone calls than the US, michelle trachtenberg's dies differently in both: in the US she is bashed in her head with an ice skate carving it all off an exposing her brain and in the UK version she is bagged, thrown to the ground and has her eyes ripped out and eaten then the killer sticks his fingers in her eye sockets like a bowling ball and drags her away still alive. also the US ending is longer featuring more gore but has VERY choppy editing imo.

20. killit

killit Active Member

yea, sorry the phone calls are different. I prefer the calls in the us version, a bit more believable