Black Panther (2018) non-spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Feb 15, 2018.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Black Panther (2018, Ryan Coogler)

We first saw the African superhero 'Black Panther' in Captain America: Civil War and now we see him on his home turf and find out about the origins and history of the royal hero. The film itself is very afrocentric with a great and mostly black cast including Czhadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Forest Whitaker, Lupita Nyong'o and Angela Bassett as well as a a host of lesser known young talent. I was surprised to feel shades of a James Bond style adventure for the first act before it moved to something else but I did enjoy that while it lasted.

One of the many things I like about this film is the tone as it deals with some pretty relevant and serious racial subject matter with respect and class. Also, where as many of the more recent Marvel films have gone for a more slapstick and one-liners approach, this film uses a more natural humour that does not take you out of the film but enhances it. It has a strong script that fleshes out a lot of the characters and makes their motivations believable and clear even when in unbelievable settings. At no stage are anyone's actions leaving you scratching your head and it is the strength of the script, characters and acting that helps one overlook the films few shortcomings.

Where the film falters is in the action sequences and cgi. A lot of the special effects look unfinished or as if they might've been done ten or more years ago. The wardrobe design is excellent but some of the vehicle design could have been better. The worst offender for me though was the combat sequences which were often dark, overly edited and shaky. I was surprised at this because the director's boxing work on his film Creed (2015) was some of the best I have seen but here it was a mess. However the belief in the characters and what they are fighting for can still make you invested in these scenes despite their unpleasant presentation.

All in all, I think this was a home-run for Marvel, yet again doing a great job with one of their lesser known comic book properties. I expect this film to do big business world wide and should please most as it feels like a real film, with real characters and stakes and not just disposable popcorn entertainment. It is a shame some of the special effects feel so rushed but I guess deadlines have to be met to keep the MCU juggernaut moving along and quality control will suffer here and there.

7-7.5/10

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Updated MCU ratings

1. The Avengers 8/10
    2. Iron Man 8/10
    3. Captain America: the First Avenger 7.5-8
    4. Captain America: Civil War 7.5-8
    5. Ant-Man 7.5
    6. Thor 7.5
    7. Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 - 7-7.5
    8. Guardians of the Galaxy 7-7.5
    9. Black Panther 7-7.5
    10. Spider-man: Homecoming 6.5
    11. Avengers:Age of Ultron 6.5
    12. Captain America: Winter Soldier 6.5
    13. Thor: Dark World 6-6.5
    14. The Incredible Hulk 6
    15. Thor Ragnarok 5.5
    16. Doctor Strange 5
    17. Iron Man 3 - 4.5
    18. Iron Man 2 -

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Huge opening weekend.. surely some of y'all saw it

4. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I saw it. I wasn't that impressed. It was ok. Waaaaaaaay overhyped though. Like, to a crazy degree.

5. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Gotta say I wanted to like it a lot more than I actually did. It certainly wasn't bad by any stretch, but it really didn't have as many surprises or as much depth as I was anticipating. Throughout the whole film I just didn't feel engaged. Another big issue was the I actually thought Killmonger was more interesting and, overall, more justified than any of the main heroes that (I think) I was supposed to be rooting for. The plot beats were mostly predictable. The characters were rather unoriginal or flat. The dialogue was functional but lacked wit or poignancy. The world, while visually impressive, didn't really have enough substance to stimulate. And there are some long stretches that are just really boring.

That said, the art direction is stunning. Wakanda is a beautiful city to look at. The costumes are original and vibrant. The acting is passable at worst. While it did still fit in the Marvel formula, I liked that the general drive of the story wasn't that the arrogant hero needed to learn a valuable lesson in humility as they keep using in many of their films. And the score had some really notable moments in the first act, though it did seem to fade into the background as the film went on. I think the main thing that kept me amused was the odd mash-up of genres that was rather interesting. At times, it's a James Bond film. Other times, it's more like Star Wars. And it is hard to not to appreciate the riskiness of the whole production.

But, in the end the film either needed the charm and quirk of the Guardians of the Galaxy or the complex philosophical arguments of Winter Soldier or Civil War.

I will say that i can't confidently comment on the action as our seats were in the second row, so most of the action scenes kinda turned into a massive blur of motion and cuts.

In the end, it was another acceptable Marvel film, along the lines of Ant Man or Dr. Strange. But it's definitely not as good as many of Marvel's best films. And I still wish that really wasn't the case.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I thought the movie was really mediocre.
    One of the worst Marvel movies so far.
    The characters were boring as fuck, especially Black Panther himself. He lacked the personality of the other Marvel characters, and the actor was so damn wooden. The acting overall, was pretty terrible, and all the "jokes" crashed and burned.

The action was boring as well, and the cgi animations felt like something from the early 00:s. Especialy the rhinos.

During the "epic" climax, I totally zoned out of the movie, and just wanted to leave. This has never happened before, during a Marvel movie.

The "Bond" scene was probably the only scene I enjoyed.

I heard some say, that it's the best Marvel movie yet. What the hell were they smoking??

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

A lot of people think that, other forums i check are overwhelming with praise, this is the first place ive encountered negativity. Whilst im not putting it near the top of the marvel films, I dont think its far off and it would be a contender is the action scenes were not so badly conceived.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I think the issue here is people talking it up as it's the first (pretty much) all black super hero film. This seems to be a new trend and the same thing happened with Get Out. Apparently playing the race card means big success these days.

As for the movie, I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun with it. I never let the hype of these films overwhelm my expectations for them. The ones I really get excited for are the team up film like the Avengers and Civil War etc. I tend to enjoy all the Marvel films so far and this one was no different.
    I really enjoyed Andy Serkis in this one and got a real kick out of his Ulysses Klaue. Michael B. Jordan was a really good character here too as you can't really blame him for the way he views things. Most of the other characters here were all pretty good too and I enjoyed their chemistry with one another.

I wouldn't go as far as saying this is the best Marvel film but is certainly isn't the worst.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You have it wrong. What people are finding remarkable about Black Panther is how much it DOESNT play the race card. Aside from the motivation behind the bad guy, the script could have just as well been written for white people. I dont think you quite grasp how often black characters are stereotyped in Hollywood films, and there is nothing stereotypical about the characters in this movie.

Like Baron Zemo, in Civil War, I continue to be disappointed in how the super villains in these films are portrayed. Klaw should have been a much graver threat. Maybe he survived and will be in the sequel.

thing likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

But at the end of the day it is about race. It's about their people both in Wakanda and outside of it. I said nothing about it being seriotypical as it thankfully isn't.

I do agree about not getting enough of Klaue. Serkis ate up his scenery and was a blast to watch.