BlacKkKlansman non spoiler review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Aug 11, 2018 at 2:19 PM.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

BlacKkKlansman (2018, Spike Lee)

In this film that adapts true events we follow Ron Stallworth (John David Washington) an African-American police officer from Colorado who successfully managed to infiltrate the local Ku Klux Klan and became the head of the local chapter.
    The film is not subtle as it shines a light on the turbulent politics of today with what was going on in Colorado in the 70’s. All the performances are strong and director Spike Lee (Malcolm X) makes the most of a smaller budget whilst transpiring is authentically to the time period.
    The film may be a tad bloated in the middle but finished strong. This ends up being a good film and Lee’s best since Inside Man (2006), but I doubt racists will like the film.

7-7.5

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 2:36 PM
  2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

It’s a shame they may lose the racist dollars on this one . :) I really want to see this, but I don’t think it is playing anywhere close to me.

thing likes this.
  3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

If it does well maybe it will expand to more theatres down the road

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I'm planning on a double feature of Slender Man and BlacKkKlansman on Monday. It'll save me a trip, because I don't think Slender Man will be worth the trip on its own. Looking forward to this though!

Last Sunday, I had just caught a screening of Burden (winner of the audience award at this year's Sundance Film Festival), based on the true story of reformed Klansman Mike Burden. Should be interesting seeing these two so close together.

thing likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I did like the movie, and it certainly has a great hook, but there just wasn't enough here to fill the extremely bloated 2 hr 15 min runtime. It does end on a high note, but getting there was quite slow. They could have easily shaved off a half-hour.

It certainly has flair though. I liked the moments where the movie suddenly slams the brakes and swerves into heavy politically charged speech (not the first time this has happened in a Spike Lee movie). Those scenes were really well done. I especially loved the scenes between Ron and Patrice. There's a scene where they're talking blaxploitation films, and as they mention a title, the poster appears on screen, which was a really cool stylistic touch.

To be honest, I found Burden to be more engaging, although it doesn't have the marketing hook this movie has. Not to deter anyone from this movie, if you have any interest it's certainly worth checking out. It just could have been a much tighter, sharper movie than it currently is.

6. thing

thing Well-Known Member

it certainly could have had half hour skimmed out, especially in the middle section but a strong ending helps forget about that a bit.