Blair Witch (2016)

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Yeah. They went in for the Woods, and when they emerged everything had been changed to Blair Witch. Pretty awesome!

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

3. fceurich39

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

5. Buechlers_beard

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Brad Miska aka Mr.Disgusting's shouldn't be included because he produced V/H/S and V/H/S/2 which had segments directed by Wingard and Barrett. I doubt he would say Blair Witch sucks.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. fceurich39

new trailer

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Man that had me tense and short of breath watching that chick try and squeeze through that tiny tunnle. Having done similar caving before it really brings back that feeling of claustrophobia and dread of being trapped. Good stuff.

othervoice1 likes this.
  9. MisterTwister

Yeah I might go and see this and I told myself I wouldn't go again until Rogue One.

othervoice1 likes this.
  10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Anyone seen this yet? Now that a lot more reviews are in it has dropped off the fresh chart on rotten tomatoes - only 38% positive by critics and 47% by audiences so far. I still plan on going to see it and I am sure I'll like it. Just have to find time to go!

11. Buechlers_beard

We're off to see it Monday. I'll report back with my thoughts then.

I can't see myself disliking it honestly. I was very disappointed with the first movie when I saw it in the cinema back in '99. It's grown on me - mostly because of the back story - and I really enjoy the second movie. Have no idea why it's called Book of Shadows, but it's a fun watch. The original is quite an uneventful movie really. Aside from the very end. I hope the new one finally allows us to glimpse Elly Kedward or Rustin Parr in some form too.

Regardless, the back story is so good. Let's just hope the rest of the movie is on par with it.

12. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Well, I saw this today and have to admit I was a little disappointed. Maybe it's my own fault for expecting too much as I was anticipating being completely blown away. It is certainly not bad and does have some effective moments, but seemed rushed and missing much that surprised me. I loved the original, really liked the sequel, and am hoping this one will continue to grow on me in subsequent viewings. That's what I get for reading the uber-hyped review on Bloody Disgusting, I guess. Still, unless you hated the original I would still recommend you see this!

Zombie Dude and othervoice1 like this.
  13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah you shouldn't count on Bloody Disgusting for accurate reviews, especially if they're written by Mr Disgusting. He hype's up loads of shit films and can't be trusted. You could serve him shit on a plate and he'll give it a favorable review.

14. MisterTwister

That and he produced two films Wingard co-directed: VHS & VHS 2.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Just got back from this and was disappointed. If this had come out in 2002, it would've been a decent, but not great, way to get the series back on track after Book of Shadows. In 2016 there have been hundreds of found footage movies all aping the Blair Witch aesthetic and this sequel is no different than a lot of them. It's full of cheap jump scares, thin characterization, and a been-there-done-that feel. Nothing new is brought to the table for this subgenre. As a fan of the series' mythology, I liked the few wrinkles added in the last half of this film, but it wasn't enough for a recommend. It's not a terrible film by any means, just a very forgettable one that clings too closely to the skeleton of the original.

16. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Just got back. It gave me a legit panic attack.

Anyone experience the theatre raising the house lights at the end ever so subtly while the movie was still playing? Cause that freaked the shit outta me. Very discombobulating. If it was on purpose its genious. If not well a happy accident? I was still recovering from the claustrophobic underground scene so maybe that played into it.

The sound was amazing but there were too many jump scares. I wasnt so into the dinosaur sounds in the forest either. They should have kept thos similar to the original.

And there was a ton of shacky cam. To the point where you cant tell whats going on at times. We moved to the back of the theatre after about 30 minutes but it didn't help too much. So I can't fully recommend seeing in theatre.

I think I'll like it more watching at home. The last 20 minutes are quite well done. Some cool ideas added to the myth too.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    othervoice1 likes this.
  17. Dave

Dave Pimp

My opinion: If you liked the original you will like this, because it takes the original and improves upon it. Much better payoff. I enjoyed it and would give it a solid B rating.

fceurich39 and othervoice1 like this.
  18. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I would just add that compared to the original, this is far more scripted. You can't beat the charm of the banter amongst the characters in the original. These characters are way more cookie cutter. So maybe if you go in knowing that it won't rub your rhubarb the wrong way.

19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I hate when things don't rub my rhubarb the proper way. I always give carefully worded and detailed instruction about the correct methods of rubbing rhubarb. Otherwise it gets chafed. And who wants chafed rhubarb?

Mok and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. Mok

Mok Family is Forever