Blind Beast

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Atmims, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Atmims

Atmims Guest

I saw this last night and thought it was excellent. The movie is a character study about a blind sculptor\masseur and his mother who kidnap a woman who he believes has the most perfect skin ever. He holds her against her will in a very dark and surreal studio where he plans to make a sculture of her. The film has a wonderful atmosphere and is very similar to David Cronenberg's "Crash" the way it explores sexual perversion and brings you to a state of understanding the perversion. Check it out.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Whoa, this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the tip, I'll snag that disc sometime soon.

3. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Let us know what you think Andrew. I'm suprised no one has any comments on the movie, the DVD has been out for years.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Got a chance to watch this tonight. What a brilliant film, this was way ahead of it's time. The movie matches or even succeeds anything Japan has put out recently, great atmosphere and sense elevating hopelessness. I definitely recommend anyone to check this out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- very similar to David Cronenberg's "Crash"--

:glasses:

I'm there.

6. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Recalling the films you usually enjoy. I’m almost positive you will enjoy this one dwatts.

7. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

You mean Cronenberg ripped off his idea for Crash from Blind Beast right?

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Crash is based on a book by J.G. Ballard. I don't see any similarities between BLIND BEAST and CRASH. BLIND BEAST is more like BOXING HELENA.

9. Atmims

Atmims Guest

There's no similarities at all plot wise, but I thought it had a similar sex-death obsession theme.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Crash is based on a book by J.G. Ballard--

True. It is also worth noting that the "Crash" novel itself is actually the fleshing out of a segment from "The Attrocity Exhibition". Vaughan made his first appearence in this book, and was examined more closely in Crash.

11. maybrick

I agree on that point, but deaddevilman saying that Cronenberg ripped it off with CRASH is a bit of a stretch.

(This was in response to Atmims, not dwatts.)

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

No, your point made above regarding that is, of course, completely valid. The themes of Crash have always run through Ballards work, since the early 60's. Cronenberg did a reasonably faithful adaptation of the book, throwing in little that was truly his own. As it well known, the film is nowhere near as "shocking" as the novel, and was very much toned down. Not having seen this film (which I added to my wish list), I can't comment on it.

13. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

If anything, Blind Beast sounds like a rip-off of H. G. Lewis' Colour Me Blood Red. To say that Cronenberg ripped anything off is quite absurd, even if the plots were the same. Cronenberg is a true artist, not a hack like most other filmmakers.

14. maybrick

How do you figure? When was the last time you watched COLOR ME BLOOD RED? Kidnapping doesn't figure into the storyline, only killing people for their blood so he can use it in his paintings. Even if you haven't seen either movie, just reading the synopses of both movies you'd easily see that neither of them are anything alike, with sole exception of the "artist as antagonist" angle.

15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The artist as antagonist angle is all that I was refering to. I wasn't trying to belittle Blind Beast in any way, actally. It looks interesting and I'll probably check it out some day but to say that Cronenberg would rip it off is a joke... I wasn't so clear on my point, I suppose.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yowza - I only just got to see this. What an incredible little film. The subtexts are rich, the set design astounding, and the central narrative enthralling. I'm still reeling a bit, this was quite a surprise. It was a tad coy with explicit images, but it's ideas could hardly have been more explicit. From the floating bodies in the darkness, to the clever switch to the sulpture in the final moments, it's just brilliant throughout. Really liked this one.

17. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Blind Beast is fantastic. And i highly recommend RED ANGEL from the same director, now on Fantomas DVD.