Blind Dead Boxset release date!!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Got mine last afternoon. Appears to be a really nice set, the booklet will take awhile to read! Can't wait to see the films in their original Spanish language versions.

The coffin package looks pretty sweet. All the keepcases rumble around just a little bit in the box, but all the discs were secure in my set.

2. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Yes, Lil' Cujo...The horse was nicely visible in the still gallery...Not quite fresh enough for the glue factory, but plenty fresh enough for hot dogs.

I'm sure glad people are enjoying this set. The Blind Dead films have always had a special place in my heart....I remember back in the mid 70's, some channel we got (and I'm pretty sure it was PBS) used to play foreign films regularly, at night. I remember vague bits and pieces from at least the first two films...Throughout the remainder of my childhood/pre-teenhood, I always remembered those movies that had skeletons on horseback, always wondered what the hell they could have been...When I finally found out, I sought them all out individually, to mixed results...

This box set was like a small-scale dream come true...

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Just finished my set, and wow. I am so glad I got this. The movies ranged from scary, spooky, silly, good, bad, beautiful, to downright cornball, but they were always, always fun to watch. I didn't even know this series existed until the DVDs were announced, so I feel like Blue Underground did me a service by putting them out. Good times.

4. lethalkrs

lethalkrs Guest

Picked my copy up today and just about to pop the first one in. Have never seen these films but love the quality the BU puts into their products, and the great reviews have me eager to enjoy.

5. gojira69

gojira69 Guest

It warms the cockles of my heart to see someone discover the Blind Dead! :)

6. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Got mine today, but haven't got to it yet. No loose discs, though, so I'm pretty happy.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

There's been a lot of complaining about the transfer over at Mobius, anyone else been reading any on other forums?

http://s8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/index.php?showtopic=3398

I just watched The Return of the Evil Dead and last night watched Tombs of the Blind Dead. I found both transfers to be quite good, my only real complaint is with Evil Dead where they re-used footage from Blind Dead, but that's the film maker's fault for not using better sources and not Blue Underground. Besides that I found it to be an excellent transfer, far superior to my old VHS of The Return of the Evil Dead. I wonder if people are just too use to VHS boosting of brightness and contrast, ignoring the true look of film.

8. Katatonia

I think the transfers look really superb. Anyone can find some little quibble to complain about on just about any DVD release.

Anchor Bay (UK) are still planning their own Blind Dead boxset release, which has a lot of activity on their forum. They won't have the original Spanish language tracks on the last two films (only English dubs)...due to licensing issues, and apparently won't include the booklet found in the R1 set.

[​IMG]

9. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

And still Tombs of the Blind Dead is without new BBFC certificate. All other three (and the bonus disc) were rated couple of days ago so there must be some problem with Tombs.

I think it's odd that now when BU made their first coffinbox, ABUK will release these in normal box and uses the cover art of Ghost Galleon.

10. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

All I can say about the UK discs is that finally we get a better release of something here in the states. Usually it seems like it's the other way around.

11. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Is the BU set region free?
    If not,the ABUK release is a fine alternative for R2 land (people stuck to R2).

12. Katatonia

The BU set has a RI tag on the back of the box. It could possibly be R0 however, has anyone out there popped any of the discs in and ran DVD Decrypter or a similar program?

13. Katatonia

14. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

Yesterday Marc Morris (ABUK forum administrator) wrote that BBFC is going to cut Tombs of the Blind Dead.

My BU box came one day after the official release date so this doesn't bother me at all but for those who are waiting for the cheaper UK box it should be enough information to buy the BU set.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Unfortunetly he doesn't address any of the concerns about the tinting, PAL-to-NTSC timing or the overall darkness at all. Infact it's a pretty generic interview, "We had problems getting elements." That's nice. :rolleyes:

Not that I think they're wrong, I think the tinting and levels of darkness are pitch perfect for these films, but I would like to know how they came to these levels and if they have any background as to why all previous releases in the US have such different levels.

In a previous interview with Bill Lustig at least the interviewer had some idea about what's going on with these editions and really drilled him about Zombi 2, Suspiria and Deep Red's transfers.

16. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Could ya hook a brotha' up with a link X?

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Bill Lustig one? Well, here's the link (I think) but it's broken: http://www.popimage.com/content/viewnews.cgi?newsid1101276679,18457

I quoted it on another forum and this is all I quoted:
    Which doesn't address the real question he refers to (a post on Mobius which itself is gone now, but here's the URL to it: http://www.mhvf.net/forum/euro/posts/49202.html ), apparently one or two scenes are not in proper order. It's not about specific footage missing but order, yet I'd lean towards the original negative being correct and the Jerry Gross cut as fucking around with it. But that's the only snipet I've got and it's about Zombi 2 and doesn't answer any of my questions. :cry:

Anyways, call me crazy, but The Ghost Galleon just might be my favorite of the Blind Dead series. I know it doesn't have quite as much gore, has no nudity, no rape, no torturing and no virgin sacrifices; but damn it, if undead on the high seas isn't the most bizarrly entertaining thing to shiver my timbers in quite some time, well then I'm all out of puns to say. I really dug the atmosphere (especially the blue filters) and the excuse to have models running around in beach bikini outfits. Plus I think Blanca Estrada (Kathy) was the hottest girl from the entire series, even if you never did get to see her goodies.

18. Kishiro

Kishiro Guest

Tombs Of The Blind Dead - Interlaced converted mess

I got my Blind Dead Boc today, and boy is it a sexy release :D

After skimming quickly through the contents and transfers and nice cover-art, I tought to myself that this was a perfect release. A great job by BU. Every disc seemed to be encoded properly progressive and anamorphic. Then I took a look at the spanish, uncut version of "Tombs Of The Blind Dead"... Yes the colors looked better than the oversaturated english cut, but at least the english cut was taken from a film-print and encoded progressivly. The spanish cut however, is obviously a bad PAL-to-NTSC conversion, interlaced and with blended frames to up' the framerate. There's ghosting all over the place and there's no way for any hardware-based or software based DVD Player to fix it. That means that they did not use the negatives and master it in HD as stated on the cover. They got a PAL master from someone else (who might have used the negative to create their master), and did a bad conversion job. That's also why it's 97 minutes and not 101, the PAL master is naturally 4% sped up, and probably not pitch-corrected.

Since I cannot do shit to fix and re-author this mess, I'll buy the Anchor Bay UK version when it gets out in November, and make a PROPER PAL to NTSC conversion, where I speed down the PAL 25fps to FILM 24 fps and stretch the sound back to it's original length and pitch and finally encodes the film into a proper Progressive NTSC Transfer, which BU should have done in the first place. And they should also have removed the "Restored from pristine negative materials and transferred in eye-popping High Definition" bull statement on the back of the disc cover.

19. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

Finally BBFC has updated their Tombs of the Blind Dead info:

Classified 24 October, 2005 .
    LA NOCHE DEL TERROR CIEGO - TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD

Run Time 97m 8s
    When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 97m 24s.

To obtain this category cuts of 0m 16s were required.
    The cuts were Compulsory.
    Cuts required to eroticised sexual assault, in order to obtain an '18' in accordance with BBFC guidelines and policy.

20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm still considering picking this up, but I've yet to put it on my list.