Blind Dead Boxset release date!!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

That's what happens when you hire cheap labor that doesn't give a shit.

2. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Sorry but here in Holland we combine words alot.So releasedate looked OK to me.Never too old to learn!

3. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

That's true but take the Mondo Kane example where now you can get 6 discs for 30 dollars (25 during the DDD sale)

I'll probably pick it up next sale if I've got the money though. It's still a blind buy for me (and from the sounds of it, it's a love it or hate it affair)

4. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

I was excited to get this box set. I hadn't been planning on buying it until I saw that the DDD sale was going to save me at least $50 (CAD). Well I got my box set tonight and opened it to find that Night of the Seagulls was loose and scratched a bit. That sucked but I figured if it plays then it's not a big deal.
    Then I opened the case for the bonus disc... only to find the disc missing. I did not get the Amando De Ossorio disc in my box set. I received an empty slim-line case. THANK YOU, BLUE UNDERGROUND!

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Finally got through all of the Blind Dead films this weekend and was unhappy to find out that my copy of Return of the Evil Dead has a glitch where the movie stops around the 46 minute mark. I got to finish the movie by selecting the chapter after the point where the problem occurs, but it still bugs me. I just e-mailed BU and asked if they would replace my disc, so I hope they give a reply and agree to replace it. It wouldn't make any sense to send the whole set back to DDD when all the other discs work fine.

Anyhow, I was surprised to find that my favorite film of the series is Night of the Seagulls. I love "town-with-a-secret" movies and this one had plenty of similarities to The Wicker Man, which is one of my all-time favorites. My second favorite is Return of the Evil Dead (which is why I was pissed when that was the disc with the problem). It's strange, because I used to like Tombs better, but Return has really grown on me since watching the old AB double-feature. Tombs is my third favorite; I still love it, but not as much as I did because I've realized that the pacing is unbearably slow in some places. The Ghost Galleon is my least favorite, which is a shame because the idea of a ghost ship is easily the most interesting idea in the series. I did end up enjoying it, though, because of a few great setpieces and the abundance of cheese throughout the film.

All in all, a great set and totally worth the money. I just hope BU replaces my copy of ROTED so I won't have to send the set back to DDD. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Ryan, did you try it in another player? Sometimes DVD's will hiccup in certain brands of players and play fine in others. For instance some of the Alien Quadrilogy discs did that in one of my older players, but played without a glitch in another newer player.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

(Yeah, my ALIEN3 hiccups like a S.O.B.)

8. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

I hate this but it's true. My copy of the Beyond is like this. The movie'll play fine but the galleries won't load and the pre-credit sequence glitches up.

On my PS2 and APEX it plays fine though :(

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it happens more so on certain brands than others it seems. I remember my Stoned Age DVD locking up on my first DVD player during the Trimark opening logo. I took it back to the store and got a replacement copy...it did the same thing. I then took it to Circuit City and asked them if I could try playing it in a few players to see whether it was truly another flawed disc or not. I popped it in an $800+ Onkyo "reference player" and it locked up again. I then popped it in a couple of $150-$200 players (cheap back then) and it worked flawlessly. The first disc was most likely not actually flawed either, just fidgety with certain brands.

10. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

"Who's Tack?"

"Just some dude."

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Okay, I tried cleaning the disc and it works okay now, but I want to watch it again all the way through just to make sure. I e-mailed BU anyway and they said that they'd replace it, so either way it's all good. :glasses:

12. Swearboy

Swearboy New Member

Just to update, I emailed Blue Underground and they are going to send me the missing disc :banana:

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Sounds like BU is rocking the Customer Service! Very good to know!

14. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

After seeing the first two films in the series, I skipped ahead and watched Night of the Seagulls last night because I noticed in that "What's your favorite of the Blind Dead films" thread that one was mentioned a few times.

It was pretty average. It's a bit slow to get going but never boring, and as usual, the Templar Knight's make up is just fantastic. After the opening sequences'
    fairly cool heart removal scene
    , I was surprised that there was hardly any other gore in the film, aside from one other scene that stands out in my mind.

It's not the worst in the series so far, that goes to Return of the Blind Dead (I've only seen the cut version on the old DVD, hopefully this will change upon viewing the uncut version with this set). Tonight I'm going to check out The Ghost Galleon, so we'll see how that goes.

15. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Get some crackers to go with that big slice of tasty cheese and you'll be fine.

16. DefJeff

Well, after watching The Ghost Galleon, I'd say it's about on par with Night of the Seagulls in terms of entertainment value. I did really like the ending on this one though.

Anything else aside, this has to be one of the cheapest movies I have ever seen.

Let me put together a little list here:

1. Pool tarp CLEARLY visable when the woman grabs water from the "ocean".

2. Pool tarp once again clear as day when the anchor is in the "ocean".

3. A nice beheading followed by the head being attached again in the very next scene.

4. A painting (!??) of the ghost ship being put in a pool/bath tub to be passed off as a far shot of the ship.

5. A templar knight opening up his coffin, only in the very next scene to be back laying down with the coffin lid raising up by itself.

6. The obvious miniature ship burning.

7. Pool tarp once again clear as day when the "coffins" are dropping to the "ocean floor".

God, I know I had more when I was watching this film, but I suppose that's enough for now. Surprisingly though, none of that really took me away from enjoying the film, it was just funny enough to warrent mentioning.

17. Enutz666

Enutz666 Member

I've always skipped the Blind Dead series even though I'm a huge zombie fan. I was just waiting for a decent release. So I finally dug deep & bought the BU boxset. I've only watched the first movie(in Spainish)& it put me asleep! The Templers are cool but I didn't care one bit for any charactor. Should I root for the arogant snob boyfriend, the stuck up lesbo, the trash talking slut or my favorite the dirty,greasy rapist. Hopefully part 2 will be more entertaining. At least the box looks kick ass on my display shelf.

18. DefJeff

Hahah, who dosen't root for the dirty, greasy rapist in these movies? :lol: Your character descriptions were funny.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy the first one all that much, after watching 'em all I still think it's the best one. Return of the Evil Dead easily has the worst set of characters out of the bunch, so if you make it through that one you should be all set.

19. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

The best part of The Ghost Galleon?

the half hour it takes to kill the blonde

20. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I like RETURN a lot, but I can see how some fans might not like it, because it's the least like the rest of the series and is a lot more conventional. I think it's a good introduction to the series for someone who might be put off by the slow pace of the other films. The Templars tend to be an acquired taste--I thought TOMBS was terrible the first time I saw it around 12 years ago, but I hadn't really developed an appreciation for Euro horror.