Blind Dead Boxset the first review(s)!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 10, 2005.

1. bachmann

bachmann Member

2. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Damnit. Afer these reviews I have to buy this set. I was all stoked thinking I was saving $65 on a release I wasn't too jazzed about and now I need it. It just sounds too friggin' sweet.

3. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Damn, I don't think I'll be buying this set now. The reason is because the uncut versions of the first two films will not have English language tracks. Nothing at all against Blue Underground, as it's obvious that they put a lot of effort into this release. I just don't have the patience to sit there and read subtitles. Shame, because I haven't seen any of these films before and I was really looking forward to getting this set.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You must miss out on a lot of great movies. There probably was never English dubbed to the full uncut versions of any of these to begin with. If BU included an English track just to please people who are (no offense) too lazy to read, people would then complain about the jarring effect of the movie continually switching back and forth between English and Spanish with English subs. It's kind of a lose-lose scenario.

5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Man, I can't wait....the temp gig was extended by a couple of weeks so now I have even more to blow. I would have bought this anyway, but now I don't feel the least bit guilty about it!

I'm most curious to check out THE GHOST GALLEON, believe it or not...that's one I haven't seen in years and not since seeing the rest of the series and becoming a fan.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

You're probably right. However, it's not that I'm "too lazy" to read, but if I feel like reading I'll pick up a book. I find it very distracting when I have to keep looking up and down to read subs while I'm trying to follow what's happening on the screen.

7. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Well the second time you watch the movie, you really don't have to pay attention to the subs. You can concentrate on the visuals than.

8. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I think reading subs comfortably is something that takes time. The more you try it the faster you will get. I am at a point now where I can enjoy the entire picture and read the subtitles without even thinking about it. :)

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It also helps if the movie you're watching isn't very talky. I've seen numerous Asian movies where I couldn't even keep up with the subtitles. At times they'd mere flash on the screen for a split second before the next set would pop up. The Blind Dead movies, on the other hand, have more emphasis on atmosphere than dialogue, so it's not nearly as much of an issue.

10. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I won't buy the set. I have so many other movies to buy and I really don't like to buy things that won't fit on my shelves easily. Plus I've never seen them before and being broke, just can't justify a blind buy. I will check em out if they ever get released separately.

As for subtitles, I can pretty much enjoy a movie with subtitles without getting distracted. It does take some time to get used to it but after a few movies with subs, you'll be used to it and you'll hardly even notice them...well except for some of those anime comedies where there's like 50 things to read on the screen at the same time and they only stay up for a second.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Hmm, I maust say those transfers look pretty damn good. Maybe if I see it at a low enough price I'd revisit these. I remember them being so damn boring though :hum:

12. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Just got the news. DDD has started shipping mine!

13. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Those covers r sweet, but I don't think I will spring for this. I saw the first 2 flicks... well the first and half the second. But what Mok said... I do recall they were pretty boring movies. :(

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

They lowered the price at DDD... it used to be around $66 and now it's only $60!

15. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

For all of those people saying the second film is boring, keep in mind that the old Anchor Bay disc only presented the English edit, which eliminated most of the gory violence! The film plays much better in its original Spanish rendition, and is my favorite of the series. Blue Underground's box set is indeed quite nice, and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with it.

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Actually, the box isn't like the crappy ones released by Anchor Bay UK -- the Blind Dead Collection is only like a quarter-inch taller than a regular DVD case! I was a bit worried that I'd have problems fitting it on my shelf, too, but it fits perfectly.

17. Tye

Tye Member

I'm glad you pointed this out. I just ordered the boxset from DDD (seeing as how they lowered their price and all) & I'm anxiously awaiting for it's arrival.
    I'm hoping to have a completely different opinion of The Return of the Evil Dead because it has been my least favorite of the four films. But like you said the version I saw was the Anchor Bay disc (and I prefer subtitles over dubbing any day).
    Course now I need to lay off purchasing DVDs for a while. :(

18. foller

foller Active Member

Hi,
    there is a rumor going round that the RC 2 discs of part 4 miss a scene. Some people claim that the handicaped man gets beheaded after he has left the doctor's house (approx min. 75). Is there a scene like that on the Blue Underground DVD???

19. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I actually liked the second film as it was on the Anchor Bay disc, but can't wait to see what is different. Wish it would get here already....maybe it will today.

Curse you, DDD! I pre-ordered from them and paid the $67! I guess they're punishing me for getting that 3-disc SUSPIRIA for $7.70....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2005
  20. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Just got mine today. Very cool looking box. I'm really looking forward to my first taste of the blind dead.