Blood Feast 2: All U Can Eat

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Andrew, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Okay, so after waiting forever to see this, I finally got my SE in the mail. Was it worth the wait (or price)? Read on...

Fuad Ramses III rolls into town to set up an exotic catering place, and it just so happens to be the same town that his grandfather committed his crimes in 35 years ago. From the moment he arrives, a Detective Michael Myers (yeah, I wasn't laughing either) is on his case from day one, but his partner Dr. Loomis (yep) tries to rationalize the situation. Fuad seems innocent enough though. However, he soons finds a statue in the back room of his shop, and at once it begins to take hold over him. Yes, it's Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess we all know and love, and now it's got Fuad just like his grandfather. Now Fuad has been hired to cater for a young girl's wedding to Detective Myers, and her bitchy mother constantly comes in to make sure she approves of his exotic flavors. Soon the bridesmaids start to get knocked off one by one as Fuad prepares his blood feast.

Okay, I'm a huge fan of the original BLOOD FEAST, and while I in no way attempt to be an H.G. Lewis expert (I've only seen BF, TWO THOUSAND MANIACS, and now this) I felt a need to share my opinions on this film. First off, the honest truth is, this movie is bad. The acting is horrendous, dialogue unimaginable, and situations a little far fetched. The character names are awful as well; let's see we have Misti Morning, Bambi Deere, Trixi Treeter, Laci Hundees (my favorite), and Candi Graham; and don't forget the aforementioned cops. McLachlan (Myers) is really really bad, and reminds me of cockier version of Tom Cruise (which takes a lot). John Waters' cameo is actually the best part of acting in the whole film, and he delivers a few of the only funny jokes. However, what I know many are looking for is gore, and this film truly does not disappoint in that regard. I actually really enjoyed the gore effects here, with heads sawed up, hands put through meat grinders, and intestines pulled out, all shown through great detail. Herschell really does know how to keep the blood flowing, but sadly the movie doesn't feel at all like one of his pictures. I was hoping for a film much like his older pictures, but now I realize that was way too much to ask. There are some decent gags here and there, but sadly it really comes off as nothing more than mediocre. The gore is nice though, so if that's what you're looking for, the film won't disappoint. I also forgot to mention that there's a fair amount of T&A, and the girls aren't too bad looking either, which is a step in the right direction. Overall though, I was quite disappointed.

Shriek Show presents BLOOD FEAST 2 in 1.85 Widescreen (I don't know if it's anamorphic or not - it does not say nor do I have a 16x9 television) and it looks pretty good. There are some specks and obvious budgetary limitations present, but it's nothing worth complaining about. Colors look good and it's pretty free of grain. Could've been better though. Audio is presented in DD Stereo or Mono, I can't really tell, but it sounds fine. Nothing special. The music is by Southern Culture on the Skids who I've never heard of, but I'm guessing they have some kind of fanbase as there's a little circle on the cover stating they did the music. It's not my favorite kind, but at times the "BUM bom" bango theme from the original shows up. Extras wise I was also very disappointed. On the first disc there's a batch of trailers for KILLING BIRDS, BLOOD FEAST 2, ZOMBI 2, DEMONS 3: THE OGRE, FLESH FOR THE BEAST, and LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN; also present is a photo gallery that is nothing special. The second disc contains four rather short features. The first is "On Set with Herschell Gordon Lewis" where we get to see him direct an actress and just talk a little on set for a tad under 4 minutes. If it was longer it could've been interesting, he could've discussed returning to the genre, his feelings on the film, etc. However we get no insight, so it's prety worthless. The second feature is "Behind the Scenes" which runs a little longer at 12 minutes, it's just someone walking around with a video camera asking people what they do on this picture. 50% said "nothing", and that should give you a good idea of how the movie turned out. Again, watching John Waters was the best part of this. Then there's "Behind the Gore", around 4 and a half minutes, just showing the gore effects as they're happening from two angles. No preparation shots or descriptions on how they did it, just showing us the same thing as the movie from a video camera's standpoint. It's also interesting to see how H.G. tells the effects guy what to do. I wanted to hear some "back in the drive-in days..." rant but alas it was not to be. Lastly there's some deleted scenes which are just extended parts, completely unnessecary.

Man, what a disappointment. I can't say it was terrible, but a definite letdown, especially coming from such a legend. The disc is a real bust as well, with only 25 minutes of special features for a $35 retail. Now if anyone knows me I rarely trade away discs, even if I don't like them, but don't be surprised if this gets offered up in the near future. To be fair, I haven't decided yet, but still. The gore is the only thing this movie has going for it, although some may like it more than me, maybe I should've just lowered my expectations beforehand. If anything, I would highly suggest just getting the single disc Director's Cut, as the extras are totally not worth it, especially for the price.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the second disc comes in a paper CD case, which is very lame indeed. It's all part of a white keepcase though, which is...cool?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2003
  2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Nice review dude. I think I might hold off on this, I had my doubts about it and I was pretty much right. I just don't really think they'll be able to recreate the look and style of his older films. But then again opinions differ so maybe i might like it based on camp value alone, I might just pick up the single uncut version, less money and i doubt im going to be that interested in the second disc for this movie anyhow. Once again great review dude, keep up the good work.:)

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Nice Review!

Great review Andy! I am glad someone reviewed this because I have been thinking about picking it up for awhile, but have found virutally nothing about it as far as reviews go.

I am definitally going to pass on it now, although I love gore, it's not enough to save a movie for me.

It's a shame to hear that this 2nd disc also comes in a paper CD holder. Lame.

4. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Excellent review Andrew! I still don't think I can miss this one though, even though I believe you that is will suck. It's just a movie I gotta see for myself shit or not.

Jeff, excellent avatar!!!

5. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Great review Andrew, but I'm seeing this regardless. There aren't hardly any US gore films shot on film anymore. Also, H.G. Lewis returns, this is the kind of situation where it could blow goats and I'd still embrace it for what it is. The screenwriters need to back off from those names though, that truly is sickening! An obvious sign that Lewis didn't write this.

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Great review! I'm still getting the SE.:D It's a damn shame that a Lewis commentary wasn't included.:(

7. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Sounds like some good, gory fun. I just hope that Media Blasters will ditch that whole paper slipcase thing before Zombi 2 comes out.:eek1:

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Thanks, it's about time a review of this showed up somewhere. I've been trying to decide whether to order it or not. Now I'll just wait and rent it from Netflix, then if I like it I think I'll just stick with the less expensive director's cut version.

9. gangreen

gangreen Guest

One of the reasons I ordered this was because of the commenary track which is advertised. What happened to it?

10. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I don't know, but it's certainly not on the disc. I even tried switching audio tracks during the film, but no dice. That really disappointed me, and would've probably ended up making this disc twice as good in the extras department, as H.G. does great commentaries.

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Okay, just saw this yesterday and I too am pretty disappointed.
    First of all, did this movie need to be 100 minutes long? That's quite long for a movie like this. They should've cut a good half hour out of the movie in my opinion. It was like everything was drawn out way longer than it needed to be, the gore scenes for example. While they were actually well done, and really quite disgusting, I actually felt a bit sick during a couple of them, some just went on way too long. I don't know, but someone pulling out a brain out of someone's skull is great in a gore movie, but showing Fuad fondle the brain for over a minute gets kinda irritating.

Then there was the detective, who I thought was Simon Rex for a good portion of the movie. He was rather annoying, although his delivery of the line "You're under arrest, bastard!" was actually really goddamn funny. And there's the ever amusing "fat guy who's always eating" character. He had some pretty funny parts, but the eating thing just wasn't funny.

My mom was in the living room for like the first hour this was on for some reason, and the movie did get some very disgusted sounds from her, so that was pretty amusing. Other than that I'll just say "yeah what BBD said in his review." It had a few good parts and some really gross gore scenes, but it really should've been alot more entertaining.

12. mcchrist

That's what I look for in an H.G. Lewis flick, he always lingers over a gore shot for more than necessary, like a perverted cum-shot in a way. That only encourages me dude.

As for alot of the humor involved, that just doesn't sound like Lewis at all. I'll know come tuesday.

13. Atmims

Atmims Guest

hah hah! Good way of describing it MC. Sounds just like the original Blood Feast. I always liked how Lewis would show the maniac caressing his victims intestines or something like he is on the verge of creaming his jeans. It was sorta sick looking, but that's Lewis for sure. As far as I know Blood Feast was the first really gory movie, yet it was filmed like something to masturbate over. WAY ahead of it's time.

14. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

more gore than needed? im there! but thanks to your review andrew, ill prolly just pick up the single disc director's cut.

15. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Got this long awaited DVD in the mail today. Let me just say that the paper holder fuckin' blows!:mad: I could hear the extras disc sliding around in the case. The holder was crumpled up and the disc could've been easily mistaken for a BlockBastard one. (Scratches everywhere!) Would it hurt SS to add another tray? There's an easter egg on the extras disc. Go down to "Behind the Scenes" and press left. Got milk?;) I'll post my thoughts on the movie later...

16. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Watched it last night. The story layout and gore scenes are typical H.G. Lewis althought instead of having that CRAZY music during the gore scenes it had rockabilly type music which makes it kinda goofy. The comedy is not typical of Lewis but doesn't hurt the movie in my opinion. I had a six pack of beer while I watched this movie and laughed out loud a couple times. I liked Blood Feast 2.

17. mcchrist

It's on the griddle for tonight!

18. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Good, since your such an H.G Lewis aficionado I'd love to hear your comments. Good and bad.

19. mcchrist

You know something, I was the first fucker to pre-order this at the Borders in my area, I figure hell they probably have it in stock, let alone my copy there right? Well, they just put the order in for it yesterday, and there's no other store around here with it (I went on a hunt, haven't checked Zia records yet though...) Still, I'm pissed because I have a 20% off coupon and I want to use it dammit!

:mad:

20. Atmims

Atmims Guest

Fuck them mother fuckers! Stuff like that pisses me off. Good luck man.