Blood Rage 1983 [aka Nightmare In Shadow Woods]

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, Nov 4, 2005.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Blood Rage Evil Twin Slasher Any Good?

Is this one any good i read that the gore is pretty good and what about the film itself though

2. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I didn't care for it. There is a canadian dvd out right now under the title "Nightmare at Shadow Woods". Avoid it. It's heavily edited.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really enjoyed the movie. It's not for everyone, but there's something about it that I really liked.

I have the Nightmare at Shadow Woods (Blood Rage's alternate title) DVD... what's cut on it? I really didn't notice anything cut.

4. Falchi

Falchi Guest

I once compared NASW to Blood rage and there is a hell of a lot missing, minutes actually. All extreme gore is gone and every kill is shortend. The old Prism tape is uncut.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

What he said.

I didn't notice any cuts either. Of course, I hadn't seen the movie in ages, so I may not have remembered everything. Besides, when it all comes down to it, the movie is really all about the kookiness. All the gore in the world can't compete with that whacked out bunch. Plus, the DVD is well priced, so I have no regrets even if it is cut.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2005
  6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Perhaps it isn't and my memory is out to lunch. I love bad slashers but this one (imo) is just rediculous. I really disliked the music, the mother, and the unconvincing double-roll lead actor. And mind you, my taste is bad...I even enjoyed "Victims", "Lunch Meat", and "Drive-In Massacre".
    But anyway, I watched this dvd at a friends a little while ago. A decent full-frame transfer but every death seemed far less gory then I remembered on the old "Blood Rage" vhs I used to own. It had been years since I had seen it but, for example, the dead landlord/boyfriend of mom's in the chair at the desk by the patio door...I remember the vhs showing a lingering shot of his split head falling apart. The dvd didn't show it. All the other deaths seemed far less violent than I rememebered also. So, anyway, if I'm wrong, and I could be, very sorry about the report.

7. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Nope, forget my last post. I'm know I'm not crazy. That dvd is cut to hell.

8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

got the prism vhs a couple days ago watched this last night pretty good slasher movie

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I'm pretty sure the Legacy DVD is indeed cut but Blood Rage a.k.a. Nightmare At Shadow Woods still remains a cheesy thanksgiving classic. With or without the extra gore.

Worth checking out, especially today. "Hot bread, anyone?" :D

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

11. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Crap, I just bought a copy of the Legacy dvd off of ePay.

Oh well, it was only 99 pennies. :p

And, if someone has uploaded the uncut version to YT, then I bet they have uploaded it to other places as well. [​IMG]

12. Katatonia

To the Legacy DVD's credit, the fullscreen transfer is pretty decent.

...now someone go and release an unrated DVD already! :evil:

13. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Ehhh, nice silver lining..along with the fact that I can let the local church group borrow the Legacy copy for Sunday School activities!

14. Katatonia

:lol: :lol: That's always a good thing!!

15. CUBANmix

CUBANmix Guest

I finally saw this movie last weekend.

and i LOVED IT

I think that it encompasses everything that the 80s slasher is.

what do you think about it? did anyone here see it in the theater? (im 22 so i wasnt even alive when it first came out,and I was only 1 for the re-release! lol..im in miami,and i got some family in Jacksonville [where it was filmed] so im always up there..and next time i go,i wanna see if i can find the locations where it was filmed..if anyone knows any info on it,id definetly check it out and post up some pics on what they look like today!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  16. rhett

rhett Administrator

I did see it in the theater, but only earlier this year thanks to the god that is MorallySound. Probably one of the best theatrical experiences I've had, I was really into it. The body count is insane, the performances are awful-ly entertaining, and there are so many really weird laugh out loud moments. Like how the evil balding high school twin constantly says "That's not Cranberry sauce, Arty!" or how the mom just locks herself in the house and goes on an eating and drinking binge on the floor in front of the fridge. Definitely one of my slasher favorites.

17. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I liked it - I'm accustomed to the NASW version as that's what was always shown on cable years ago. Ignorance is bliss for me on the DVD cuts.

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Hahaha, yeah, that print had some audio issues but also added to my enjoyment of the movie, and for reasons I will now mention. There would occasionally be scenes where the audio was so low you couldn't hear what was being said and it was usually during scenes where the mom was talking. So during those scenes people in the audience would be shouting things like "What!?" or "Speak up!" at the screen. Well, in one scene the mom is on the phone with someone and at one point you can't hear what the other person is saying and it cuts back to the mom who very clearly and loudly responds, "WHAT!?" Everyone in the theatre burst out laughing. I'm pretty sure rhett wet himself from laughing too hard. :lol:

I've only seen the Nightmare at Shadow Woods version, and own the DVD. I need to track down the uncut Blood Rage VHS and watch it.

19. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I saw it in the theater as Nightmare at Shadow Woods sometime between 1986-1988. It was released as a new movie and even then I thought it a teeny-bit outdated looking. What little audience there was kept laughing at Louise Lasser's (Mary Hartman) hair and acting. It only played for a week.

I did buy that cut DVD because my Prism tape is getting worn. I was very upset that the gore was cut, but there was an extra scene in it that shows the characters sitting around the swimming pool not too long after the movie starts.

20. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

I have Both the Blood Rage Prism VHS Tape and the Nightmare At Shadow Woods Legacy DVD and I watched them both today!! Either way it's a Fun Horror Movie and one of my Favorite 80's Slasher Movies!!

The Prism VHS Tape has More Gore to be sure but it is much darker then the Legacy DVD. The Legacy DVD is a brighter print and I too noticed the Extra Scene with Characters sitting around the Swimming Pool and More of the Hot and Sexy Julie Character!! I Liked her alot!!:D Plus, the Sex Scene with the Slutty Girl and the Guy on the Diving Board seems longer on the Legacy DVD!! That Shower Scene with the Sexy Blonde shows up 2 Times in Legacy DVD!!

I really love this Film!! The Characters are Great and some of them are Crazy!! Louise Lasser as the Mother gives a Great, Tragic and Sad performance and the Twin Killers are Funny!! "This Is Not Cranberry Sauce!!" Plus, that is Ted Raimi as the guy selling condoms in the Movie Theatre Bathroom, LOL!!

So, for fans of the Movie, I would say it is worth it to seek out Both the Prism VHS Tape and the Legacy DVD!! The Prism VHS Tape is Wild in the Gore Department!! But, I love the Extra Scenes on the Legacy DVD!! If only Anchor Bay would come along and give us a Complete Uncut Version!! I love the Crazy Music in the Film too!! That ending is a bit of a Shocker too!!