Blood: The Last Vampire (Live Action 2009)

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by maskull, Jun 27, 2009.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

2. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

I am looking forward to this as well. The anime was one of my favorites. Hopefully this will live up to the source material.

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Count me in as looking forward to this. I dug the original anime (even if it was too short) and I like Chris Nahon as a director. He directed Kiss of the Dragon, which I still think is Jet Li's best English language film and vastly underrated to boot.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of the anime movie and the television series (although Ive only seen half of it cuz stupid Sony for some reason still hasnt released the part 2 box set). I wasnt blown away by the trailers but hard to really tell much. I hold out hope it will be a pleasant surprise that is not connected by the title alone. Will this be released everywhere in the United States theatrically or will this be a limited release then quickly to dvd or straight to dvd?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The movie has been slammed so badly that I'll be waiting for the DVD. That's a shame as the trailer makes the film look good.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It was playing in D.C. recently.If I had been in town I would have chanced a matinee.

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I had a chance to see this the other day, it's not great. Some cool scenes here and there but some Sci-Fi Channel Original level CGI and a "wait,what the hell is going on???" final 15 minutes really ended up hurting the movie. It's not awful, and it does move pretty quickly but I'd probably rate it in the 5/10 area.

Until they figure out how to make CGI blood look good, they've got to stop using it.

8. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

another $1 rental at the redbox.

I have seen the anime version a few times, so I kinda knew what to expect.
    I was entertained, and even though the effects were pretty bad, there's still alot of style to the film. Funny, it's live action but feels like you're watching a video game or an computer animated movie. Worth the rental If you're a fan of this type of thing. There's a couple of cool fight scenes with lots of very fake looking CG blood, and a cute asian girl. I was not bored at all.

9. othervoice1

Ill have to give this a rent on blu- I loved the anime movie and will be buying that on blu later this year and the tv series is also very good and was happy sony FINALLY released part 2 of the box set to I own the whole thing now. But by the reviews I have seen so far this sounds very mediocre- but im sure Ill enjoy it in some capacity anyways, but probably not enough to actually purchase. Ill probably get it from netflix in about a week after I get done with the movie I currently have.

10. othervoice1

I posted this in a seperate thread but in case anyone didnt see it Ill put it here too for you Blood The Last Vampire anime fans:

Hey FYI to fans of the anime- I had heard several Best Buy stores had Blood the Last Vampire and Ghost in the Shell on bluray on the shelves and even though they are marked 19.99 each they ring up as 13.99 each which is also the sale price showing online. I am still seeing a release date on amazon for these to be 11/24 and ghost in the shell on amazon is listed at 17.99 and blood at 13.99 preorders. Sure enough I went to my best buy and they were on the shelf and rung up at 13.99 each.

11. othervoice1

Alright I just watched the live action movie I got from netflix on blu- and what a letdown- it was really pretty awful. It was like a sci-fi channel movie, especially the special effects/cgi. My gawd how awful was that CGI blood??!!! It started off okay even with the cgi blood but the movie and acting just got worse and worse. The only good thing was the lead girl, she actually did pretty decent without much to work with. The generals daughter was just laughably bad though. Watchable but barely so....