BLOODY REUNION DVD Tartan Asia Extreme

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by ReelFear, Mar 14, 2007.

1. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

picked up this new release yesterday. The first 40 minutes are pretty slow, but then things get bloody and hold your interest until the end. A couple of nasty kills reminded me of Lamberto Bava's Blade In The Dark. The transfer is OK if just a bit soft. Definitely not the best of the Asia Extreme titles, but not the worst either. Worth a rental if you're into S. Korean horror. 6 out of 10.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Well, it has to be better than The Ghost of Mae Nak. I will probably Netflix it. Thanks for the heads up.

3. Wermode

Wermode New Member

I liked it quite a bit, except for the end: effective gore, good attention to detail, and enough tension to keep me interested. Like so many films, though, it would have been better if I had shut it off 10 minutes before the credits...

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I should have listened to you and shut it off early. Before the last 10 or so minutes, I was completely loving this movie. I was ready to give it five stars and watch it again as soon as it finished. Then, the ending happened, and it
    completely undid a lot that I liked about the movie. The ending twist was just brutal to me, and for no real reason as it was really working without the twist. I loved the movie being about the casual damage the teacher did to all of her students. That was genius to me, and they just flushed it all down the toilet.
    Oh well. I still like the movie, but after that, I just took it off and put it back on the shelf.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just watched this movie over the weekend. I would say it's a great entry-level movie for people who are "not into Asian horror". Really, this is a straight-up slasher film with some pretty violent kills. Definitely better than the current American attempts to revive the 80's slasher.

Unfortunately, it's not perfect. Looks like the Koreans have adopted my pet peeve cliche of showing that there is no cell reception. And several American horror films get referenced, which may have been unique to Korean audiences but Americans might be tempted to hoist the "rip-off" flag. Some of the nods I saw were
    Friday the 13th (or maybe Phenomena), Carrie, Psycho, and Sleepaway Camp
    . Note: Don't highlight that spoiler if you really want to go into it fresh.

So if you want to see Asian horror WITHOUT the "scary girl" child motif, go find a copy of this one.