"Blow Out" is going in my collection!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Joel Groce, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

"Blow Out" directed by Brian DePalma from '81 - this is more of a suspense/mystery film than out and out horror - I just saw this last night and enjoyed the hell out of it! It echoes greatly of "The Conversation" ( one of my faves) and "Blow-Up" (with David Hemmings from "Deep Red"), but has enough of an individual flair to make me appreciate it. I've actually been wanting to see this for a long time, since I love "Dressed To Kill" and "Sisters" so much - fuck it if people think he is "too Hitchcock" - he is a worthy successor. Now I need to see "The Fury".

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Personally "Blow Out" is my favorite DePalma film. Why MGM decided NOT to make the DVD a special edition, like "Carrie" and "Dressed to Kill", is beyond me. However, the disc looks good and is a great buy at ten bucks so definitely pick it up.

By the way, "The Fury" was a real disappointment for me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2002
  3. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

DePalma is one of my favorite filmmakers. You also have to watch Obsession, Raising Cain, Phantom Of The Paradise, and Carrie if you haven't already. You can definitely see the Italian giallo influence in films like Body Double, Blow Out and Dressed to Kill. He's directed quite a few of my favorite films:

Scarface
    The Untouchables
    Carlito's Way
    Casualties Of War
    Sisters
    Blowout
    Dressed To kill
    Carrie

Can't wait to see his next, "Femme Fatale."

4. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

Good Call on "Blow Out"!!!

Yeah , Eggshen, "Blow Out" is definitely one of his best - I gave "Scarface" to a buddy for a birthday gift so I will have to get that one again. The version I saw was pan-and-scan and edited for language so I really want to see the widescreen print bad. Too bad about "The Fury" - although I know it has been placed by many a little lower on the ladder so to speak than DePalma's other films - I will rent first!

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Hey Joel, AMC plays "Blow Out" all the time in it's original widescreen format (though it's still edited for language I think).

6. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

Yeah - I saw it on AMC, but...

yeah, I saw it on AMC, but somehow it only started in widescreen, then reverted to pan-and-scan - I really missed out on the ending with those fireworks across the sky and his shots from above in the subway station to name a few.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Re: Yeah - I saw it on AMC, but...

That's a bit strange, but then again I seem to remember AMC doing this (switching from widescreen to pan-and-scan) on other movies in the past. I guess they're trying to please all their viewers, even those who still can't seem to grasp the purpose of those "black bars".

Keep trying though, it's bound to show up in it's correct aspect ratio sooner or later...

8. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Every other month, AMC and the Independent Film Channel swap this film back & forth, but IFC shows Blowout uncut & widescreen.

9. Usually, when a movie switches from widescreen to full screen, it's 'cause they've only made the opening widescreen to accomodate the credits (so it doesn't say, "rian de Palm" or what have you)...

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, I know. It's really disturbing to watch "Once Upon a Time in the West" in widescreen, believing the channel has done it justice, only to see it shift to pan-and-scan after the opening credits.

Jscott, come to think of it IFC might of been where I saw the movie in widescreen. I really can't remember anymore.

11. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I've only seen two really disappointing De Palma films recently; "Raising Cain" and "Snake Eyes", but with all those great movies to live up to that's not so surprising. He's difinitely a worthy successor to Hitchcock, I certainly don't see anybody else continuing with a style that is so close to the Master's brilliant style other than him. This may sound funny, but I hope he stays true to his original way of movie-making and keeps in mind not to make movies for today's movie audiences but for yesterday's movie audiences, otherwise we'll end up with fast paced crap like the two above mentioned titles. After all, when they've had their theatrical run it's on a format like DVD those movies will live on for us De Palma fans to enjoy.

12. Trout

Trout Guest

Re: Yeah - I saw it on AMC, but...

I was watching Blowout last night too (for the first time) and I thought it was pretty cool. I love the scene where Travolta finds all his tapes erased and the camera keeps turning around in place. A very cool shot.

13. I watch AMC all of the time and actually AMC prefers to show their movies widescreen. They even have a short "commercial" about it between their movies. it starts with the "what are those black bars bit" and then goes on to show comparisons of films presented letterbox vs pan & scan. lasts about 3 minutes i think. they usually show the pan & scan version during the day and the LBX version at night. they did not do this for blow out. both were shown pan & scan for some reason.

oh, and depalma rules! :D

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

DePalma is one of my favorite directors, and Blow Out is one of his best in my opinion. Lots of atmosphere and style, and Travolta is at his best, it is a shame it didn't do so well at the B.O.

Apparantly MGM was going to release Carrie, Dressed to Kill and Blow Out as bargain titles, but at the last minute Laurent Bouzereau went to MGM proposing to do SE's of those DePalma titles. MGM agreed, but unfortunately Blow Out had already gone into pressing and it was too late. Bouzereau has said Blow Out was one of his favorites, so I think in the future it is safe to say that Blow Out will get the treatment it deserves!

15. DePalma gets a lot of shit which is totally unjustified. Even Bonfire Of The Vanities was a cool movie - although nothing to do with the horror genre.
    I think he's directed some of the iconic thrillers from the past 3 decades. Sisters is awesome, Dressed To Kill, Blow Out & Scarface are supercool too. Carlito's Way was one of the best 90s movies, so why don't the critics give him a break.
    Everyone seems to dwell of the fact that he's a Hitchcock clone, but I think he has a real unique sense of style.

Maybe folks should realise that Quentin T. freely admits that he lifted shots directly from many DePalma movies in both Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction.

Blow Out is fucking way cool.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

From all de Palma films "Blow Out" is the one I haven't seen yet. :(
    Gotta get me that disc as soon as possible. :cool:

17. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

BLOW OUT is a masterpiece (gotta love that gritty ending).
    With an ending like that though, it isn't hard to realise why the film went down at the B.O.

Oh, and Tarantino lifts from De Palma, De Palma lifts from Hitch AND Argento (look for one scene in Raising Cain where he copies the trick "victim-bows-to-reveal-killer" from TENEBRE - something that De Palma admited doing, only to state that he did it better than Dario!), Argento from Bava, everyone lifts from anyone and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. :p

And Carlito's Way is De Palma's best film and one of the best movies of the 90's.