Blu ray player recommendations, anyone?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Darga, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I want to pick up a new blu ray player. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. The only real stipulation besides having good picture quality is that it does a great job of streaming Netflix movies via my wireless network. I've seen some recommendations for the LG BD670, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 and Sony BDP-S580, but then on closer inspection I'm finding a large number of poor reviews for these same players. Anybody have a model that they'd recommend?

Thanks,
    JD

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I picked up a Sony BDP-S580 a few weeks ago and it is an excellent buy. It has quite a few apps like Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, and many others so if you don't have a smart tv, it is a good choice. Blu-rays start up relatively quick and since I just bought a 3D HDTV, I have that covered with it as well. Hooking it up to my wireless network was easy!

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I have the Panasonic 3-D Blu-ray player you mentioned. It loads incredibly fast and streams without any problems. I recommend it.

4. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

The Panasonic and Sony you mentioned are going to be among your best bets if you're on a budget. All affordable players have mixed reviews right now but I can tell you from ample experience with all the major models of players that the Sony and Panasonic players are the best affordable players from a standpoint of both build quality and software quality. LGs are OK but a little on the flimsy side and, despite their solid build quality and stellar Rep when it comes to displays, Samsung should still be avoided due to poor software, which results in a higher than normal number of compatability problems, and poor support, which means that you'll be waiting a long rime for firmware updates to fix incompatabilities. If you are not on a budget, the Oppo BDP93 is still far and away the best player on the market.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Last year, I worked a film festival and Blu Ray was one of the many formats we screened from (in addition to HDCAM and 35mm, of course). We had 3 entry-level Sonys, and one Oppo (not sure which model, but certainly not a cheap one). Strangely enough, the Oppo was most cantankerous when it came to playing certain discs, and on more than one occasion we had to swap out the Oppo for the cheaper Sony model just to get through a show.

6. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Haven't had a single disc, stamped or burned, fail to play on my Oppo. To be fair though, i can say the same of the Panasonics that myself and family own, and can only recall two instances of incompatability with Sonys. I've had several disc not play correctly on LGs and innumerable discs that won't even load on Sammys... not to mention those that didn't play correctly.

7. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I have a Samsung HT-D4500 home theater system and I love it, especially seeing as how it plays all of the extras on my Arrow blu-rays just fine.

8. mlock

mlock Member

I replaced my PS3 with an LG 630 in September and am quite happy with it. Having 3D wasn't an issue for me and I was looking for a player that was compatible with various formats like MKV, which most major brands I looked at didn't have. However you should consider the next model up as you were looking for wireless capability too. Mine is a solid player, loads fast and had a great price. Good luck!

9. Darga

Thanks for the feedback guys. My girlfriend got an HD TV for Christmas so I just wanted to pick up something for her that would upconvert her DVDs, play the occasional blu ray, and stream Netflix in HD (which her Wii can't do). I went with the Panasonic since it seemed to have the best good:bad ratio.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Paff, someone must have run that Oppo through the dishwasher. I can't recommend Oppo highly enough. My BDP-83 plays many scratched discs that won't even load on the cheap all-region Phillips that I keep in another room. And my 971H all-region DVD player is still going strong many years down the line.

Oppo support is also out of this world. I had a firmware update go bad after my BDP-83 was out of warranty. Oppo fixed it for me and cleaned the entire inside of the unit at no cost. And they fixed the player and had it on its way back to me the same day it arrived at their facility.

You're not likely to get an Oppo at a cut-rate price. But after owning 2 Oppo players I'll never even consider going with a different manufacturer. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

12. Darga

13. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Well said... they're not perfect but they're as good as it gets and, if something does go wrong, their customer service is second to none.