Blu-Ray wins????

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by KR~!, Mar 15, 2007.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

2. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I'm not buying a blueray player I have other uses for $1,000, but I'm sure eventually HD DVD or Blue Ray will replace dvd's, if you look far enough into the future.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Neither is close to winning for quite a while yet no matter what either side claims- this is still in the baby stages.....

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I would much rather put $1,000.00 towards a vacation for starters.

5. chrishicks

chrishicks classic is back!!!

hell, everytime time a Blu-Ray rep farts in the wind they declare victory. I think they've already won over 10000 times by now.

6. "Measured in the number of players, Blu-ray is already well ahead of HD DVD because Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3) video games console comes with a built-in Blu-ray player."

What were the numbers in the article, 5 to 1 in favor of Blu-ray, yet movie sales are about even? Claiming PS3 owners as Blu-ray supporters by default is, I think, a bit disingenuous.

7. Sam

Sam Member

Still a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng ways away. New DVD releases are selling about 2 million copies opening week while an A-list Blu Ray/HD DVD may hit 20,000 copies.

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's a bit hard to take this article seriously when it's sponsored by Sony Blu-Ray.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

HD-DVD is still ahead of Blu-Ray in Europe. Not that I really care, but... :p

10. I guess I'm pulling for HD for some reason, but at the rate I'm getting through college, I won't have to make a decision until they stop making standard DVDs altogether--I should be able to afford a high def tv by then :D

11. Typical Sony Cockiness..."Blu-Ray wins"...yeah right!

I DO believe Blu-Ray currently has the advantage, with the PS3 being such a hot commodity and automatically being built-in to the system (as opposed to a seperate add-on for Xbox 360). Still, the fact that software sells are about even makes me wonder....the software sells will make or break either format!

And this whole Analog DVD will be "done with" in 3 years....I think not! HD itself (cable or DVD) isn't catching on as quickly as they might think. Lots of grandmas & grandpas that own analog DVD ain't looking to buy a Blu-Ray anytime soon.

12. maybrick

If it defeats standard DVD within 3 years than so be it... I have more DVDs than I need and there are plenty out there still left for me to buy. I will NOT be upgrading to hi-def until I have a TV to support it. Will I in the next 3 years? That all depends upon whether my current TV craps out before then. And even then I may simply use it as an excuse to quit collecting. Standard DVDs will remain fine for my purposes and nothing they do or say can change that.

13. Franco

Franco Weekender

Blu-Ray should win. It has more space. Why do you want a media that has less space?

14. maybrick

If that's your argument, then what you should really be routing for is Holographic DVD.

15. geeare

geeare Guest

3 years, hahahahahaha...there will be yet another technology of some sort by then. if tech continues to grow as it does then this shit will be obsolete.

16. Franco

Franco Weekender

Yeah, I should but it's far from being produced in huge quantities. Blu-Ray is gettin' "mass-treatment" (a bit slow yet, though). That's why I think it should be the way ...

17. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

BTW, who won over DVD-Audio and SACD?

I forget... ;)

18. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

CD.

I find it amusing that, when discussing HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray, it's always assumed that there will be a winning format.

It's far from a given that consumers will embrace either format.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

:lol: :lol: Vinyl!

Speaking of which, I have an SA-CD capable DVD player and I've never had any desire to purchase an SA-CD. :eek2:

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Don't bother, to really hear all the extra details you will need high res speakers which cost a thousands of dollars. Then power amps to run such things, etc.

Unlike say HD-DVD or BLU-RAY where in order to see the full difference you would to.. HEY!!!!

When all channels are in HD-TV then perhaps there will be a need to those two formats, and by then something far better would have replace them.

seriously, in a proper set-up good old vinyl still beats those other formats. :lol:

honest!