Blu-Ray wins????

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by KR~!, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Yeah, I wonder how far those prices will drop!

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Toshiba's released some final numbers on HD-DVD and they're surprising to say the least:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/19/live-from-toshibas-hd-dvd-press-conference-in-tokyo/

30,000 units sold in Japan? That's worse than anything I imagined. About 1/3 of the stand alone players in the US were sold during Toshiba's $98 player sale.

This is a lot less than we were lead to believe.

3. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

they never had a chance... really. The writing was on the wall when I started this thread, which is why I started this thread ;)

No word yet from Paramount and DreamWorks.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Bad news for HD owners. Now Sony Blu-Ray dosen't have to compete. Which means why have giveaways? Can't see prices coming down. People have no choice now. No competition.

5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I only disagree to the point that it is still in competition to become mainstream- one thing fighting against it is buying and renting HD movies online or through tv services like fios and even xbox live has fairly large selection of hd movies to rent- If sony thinks they have no competition or need to lower prices that would be a big mistake- if they really want to make money they are going to have to make it more affordable for mass adaption

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sure they do, Sony has to compete with Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sharp, Pioneer, Denon, and DVD itself. Plenty of choices. Then there's HD-DVD which was Toshiba, or Toshiba or maybe Toshiba if you wanted to stretch it. It's like people are falling back to the two party system or something.

How do people think DVD's prices came down? Did a magical fairy do it who's powers won't work on Blu-ray or something? I really don't understand this logic. The market creates its own competition. That's economics 101.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

So, the war is over eh?

Ah hell, I really need a new excuse not to jump into the lush that is Blu-Ray now.

Anyone?

*twitch*

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

As of yet there are no announcements to bring Dawson's Creek to any hi-def format. Does that work? :D

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm sticking with DVD til it's dead. Then I'll hop onto the Blu-Ray bandwagon.

10. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

I'm gonna sit this one out a while.

For me, most of the software just isn't "there" yet. Remember the early days of DVD when they were just throwing non-enhanced laserdisc transfers out there, with no features save a trailer if you were lucky, and charging $30 for them? Yeah, Warners is putting out some spiffy ones (Blade Runner and the Kubrick editions particularly come to mind), but most of the catalog titles I'd be interested in (Halloween, Robocop, Terminator, Dawn of the Dead) seem like they could be so much better.

To me, Blu-Ray is currently in that stage. I'm currently buying DVDs for an average of $5.00; the price on them goes down so quickly these days and great sales are happening every week.

So when I can start buying Blu-Rays for less than ten dollars, I'll think about jumping on the bandwagon. I was an early adopter of DVD ... paid $300 for a Toshiba 2008 player back in '98 -- that I still use as my primary player! -- and got in on a lot of great deals on software from places like 800.com and reel.com. I've seen all of this happen before.

And, by that time, the players should cost less and be far superior to any current model.

So, yeah, I'm sitting this one out for a while.

11. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Yeah, until I can get an affordable multi-region player, I'm sticking with my beloved DVDs (most of which I have no intention of upgrading to BR)

12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Actually I had forgotten all about those early days of dvd so you make very good points indeed. Thanks for your help in this matter. I will keep this and the lack of Dawson's Creek in mind while resisting the pretty Blu wave... for now. :p

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Actually I gave Halloween a rental the other day to see how it looks and aside from the colour timing issues that to be honest I didn't even notice, the films looks friggin amazing in HD.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Get your PlayStation 3's now. Best deal in town and auto updates :D

15. Dave

Dave Pimp

I am going to get a PS3 at some point this year, and I will start to go blu. I'll never buy a lot of titles, as I have HD on my satellite, but I'm interested.

Now, if the HD-DVD addon does in fact sell for $49.99 next week (see http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1440&Itemid=1), I will most likely nab one for my Xbox.

I'm absolutely interested in a handful of HD-DVDs - The Game, Hulk, Army of Darkness, and a few others. Yeah, I'm sure all will hit blu at some point, but at $49.99, I don't mind jumping in. And if there are in fact some fire sales on discs, I may be able to build up a decent little library, too.

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I feel the same way as you JW. I have the same interest in HD titles as you and feel the same way about the quality and my path was exactly the same as yours with DVD. I'm waiting out the Blu Ray thing and I don't think buying a cheap HD DVD player is worth it, since it is going to be a dead format. What happens when that player dies? DVD players will be around for ages and Blu Ray is backwards compatible, so no problem there. VHS players are still easy to get and will be for a long time, but why buy into a format that isn't going to be around?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Right once that player dies, your whole HD-DVD collection is useless. It's a complete waste of money. No one will be making anymore players and HD-DVDs.

19. geeare

geeare Guest

20. Dave

Dave Pimp

Hogwash, man. You'll be able to pickup used players forever.

No one is making lasers anymore and I still enjoy my collection to this day. When the player dies, I will pickup a used one.