Blu-rays: Are You Region Free?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Blu-rays: Are You Region Free?

1. Yes

69.8%
  2. No

28.6%
  3. I don't own a Blu-ray player

1.6%
  1. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I became region free when Arrow released the Zombi Flesh Eaters steelbook.:)

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The U.K. Eureka Masters of Cinema are similar to Criterion in terms of selection, content and quality. Arrow, Second Sight and Hammer films are all great as well. If not for my region-free player, I wouldn't own Glengarry Glen Ross in all of its 1080p glory. :)

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have the standard version of that disc but I agree, Arrow did a great job.

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I was familiar with the concept of regional coding when I bought my very first DVD player. I would never consider anything but a region-free player.

I want to be able to chose the best version available of a favourite movie. I don't want to be restricted should a favourite movie be available in one region only. Even you region A guys are missing out on some great releases - like some of the Arrow ones. They may make it to region A, they may not. If it were a favourite movie, I wouldn't want to be forced to pay the waiting game any longer than I had to.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Exactly. I have never seen anyone ask for Polanski's Bitter Moon (Japan) or Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (Italy) which are both favorites of mine. It was painless to import them and there is no more waiting game.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I only have two blu-ray players, one a temperamental Pioneer player that's a bit finicky when it comes to DVDs (blu-rays are usually fine), and a Sony player that I use as my main player but won't play PAL content. So anything with PAL, I just have to swap the HDMI cable over to the Pioneer player.

For DVDs, I have a JVC DVD / VCR combo upstairs that plays PAL content. The DVD player might even be region free, I've never had any DVDs that wouldn't play on it.

Even though I'm not region free, all Arrow blu-rays released after Spider Baby are unlockable on my Pioneer player by simply pressing TOP MENU. I've got The Burbs, Hellgate, Runaway Train, Spider Baby, The Stuff, White Of The Eye, etc, all of which play fine on my Pioneer player (but not my Sony).

The rest of the stuff I've really wanted on blu-ray has been region free already. 88 Films, Vamp, Trick Or Treat, The Boogeyman, Police Academy, Zombeavers, the Basket Case trilogy, Eureka: The Complete Series, etc. So no region free player necessary.

Like I said in The Mutilator thread, it's really not that necesary to be region free here in North America, where I'd imagine it'd be essential if you live elsewhere.

7. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I have been like a kid in a candy store since I went region free last fall. It doesn't hurt that its been so cheap buying from Amazon Germany over the past few months either. It's great for Horror, Spaghetti Westerns and Euro Erotica but also for mainstream stuff as well. I'll be putting in an order for STARSKY AND HUTCH, VIRTUOSITY, SPLIT SECOND and CHARLIE'S ANGELS 2 later this week.

This is what I have. It gets the job done but it's sluggish at responding to commands from the remote. It's also slow when reading files off a thumb drive. But for the price, I've enjoyed it immensely. Bombay has excellent customer service as well. I can see myself spending more for a better player in the near future.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'll second that. Great products, great service and very fast shipping.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yup, I think I recommended the player and Bombay to you in a previous thread on here. ;)

Sometimes the ejecting of the tray is a little slow on the player, but I haven't really noticed the commands taking too long...or at least in comparison to my other players.

I haven't really used the thumb drive though, except for BD-Live storage needs, so can't comment there. I just use the thumb drive on my TV to play movie files, and any firmware updates are set up for wi-fi downloads on the player.

But the player has played absolutely everything I've thrown at it...everything. I haven't had one region locked import or PAL disc that I've had problems playing. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone here thinking of going region-free.

Are there better players out there? Sure, but not for the price.

I am also very shocked that Mutilated Prey isn't region free. :eek:

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm a bit of a perv so on those not so rare enough occasions when I want to rewind and pause to get a better glimpse at some "blink and you miss it" nudity I end up fighting the Sony 5200 to get what I want. It happened just the other night with A BLACK VEIL FOR LISA. The PS3 is far superior but when you consider it's $600 price and lack PAL playback its not reasonable to expect the same level of operation.

The PS3 is also zippy at browsing photos and long lists of MP4 files where as the 5200 grinds to a near halt. Not an issue since I can use my PS3 for those functions.

Interestingly enough the XBOX One is a useless pile of shit when it comes to media player and Blu-ray functions. It's as if it was designed by alien race that has never used a blu-ray player before. Odd for a company that dominates the world because of its UIs. When you pause or FFW the progress bar obscures half the screen, you cannot turn subtitles on when playing MKV files and I have actually found mainstream Region A Blu-rays that would not play (gives the upgrade your firmware screen).

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

No, and I don't care to be. I have two BFI Flipside discs and one Arrow, none that are region coded. I have an Australian disc that supposed to be region free but for whatever reason refuses to play in Sony players.

I figure that for the most part things that are locked are that way for a reason and will eventually come out in the states. The opposite seems to be the case with the region free ones. Guess the labels releasing these films are depending on a worldwide audience to break even.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

A lot of Australian Blu-rays have 50/60hz content, so that's most likely why it won't play, even if it is region free.

It's basically the "HD PAL" equivalent problem with Blu-rays, and if a player can't handle them it simply won't play.

The hardware mod on my Sony player handles those fine however.

13. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Yes, region free here with my hacked Panasonic player (not hard DIY either).

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

That is truly baffling. You're a film enthusiast that chooses to deny yourself access to content because film distributors put an antiquated system in place to deter consumers from acquiring certain products. It isn't illegal for you to purchase a region-free player or discs that are locked to a region you do not reside. Nor is it illegal for companies based in other countries to sell you region locked products. Film distributors would prefer that you not buy from other countries so they can maximize their profits but you are not beholden to this process. I can understand why casual movie fans aren't concerned about region locked content but it is strange for someone that frequents a genre message board. If you include exclusive special features and differences in A/V quality there is plenty you denying yourself.

15. Do you see

Do you see Member

I spend to much as it is now. I dread to think what I'd spend if I was region free. There are some awesome looking releases out there, however I despise non-english/bilingual packaging. So I wait patiently for R1 releases (not to say I haven't been tempted by some all region releases).

16. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Why is this so baffling? I am also a film enthusiast and frequent this message board quite often, but I guess it depends on how you define denying yourself access to content. By today's standards on Blu, I am not looking for perfection when it comes to picture quality. Many of the films that are receiving Blu treatment look just as good to me on DVD as they do on Blu, depending on the age of the film or the quality of the print used. As far as content goes, and I speak for myself, I could give two shits about 20 minute interviews, or a full length commentary. Honestly, and I don't mean this in a mean spirited way, I don't have enough time in my day to watch all of the extras that can be packed on one disc, nor do I care to. I love horror films but I don't always want to know every little detail about why a film was made, what their motivation was etc., so extra content doesn't matter that much to me. In addition, I have yet to find any horror film that hasn't eventually been released in the U.S., that I could possible want so badly that would require me to be region free. It's just not an investment that I want to make. IMO, too much hassle and I own so many films, I probably will never watch all of them in my lifetime. :lol:

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Semi-free.

I have a cheap RF player but hardly use it cuz it only had hdmi audio (or 2-channel RCA), and with my set-up, I need other outputs for my receiver (digital coax or optical). Plus my receiver is trapped in a TV stand so I can't even re-wire it right now, leaving my cheap player on the sidelines. I've been region free for dvd since 2000 or so. I haven't imported many BD's, and everything I have imported is RF or crackable anyway, but it's nice to be able to see the SD extras on Return of the Living Dead.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Non issue for me. No need to have a region free player. I will either make an exact BD50 copy of the disc with protection stripped or make an ISO file of the bluray with protection stripped. The ISO would play off my XBMC/Steambox with 0 issues. Same as an original - bit for bit. Legality issues aside, I bought an original copy and have no issues doing it.

I don't have the space for another player, nor do I want to spend money on a region free player. BD50 discs are reasonable these days, as is the 4 TB external hard drive I use on my steambox.

19. Stige

Stige Active Member

Have a region free player, which I paid enough for to expect a hell of a lot more than I got , so I, like Dave, feel free to make a region free version of a disc( that i have bought) that I play in a better player.

I was feeling crazy hearing about how wonderful such and such movie was and seeing for myself nothing special. But my region free version on a good player shows how good they are. Don't know how much easier it is to get a player in the US, but here in Norway I can't find a decent player that is region free.

20. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

No disrespect, but that comment wasn't directed at you. You misunderstood me as well. I find baffling any film fan that willfully complies with distributors' wishes that we not access content they would like to restrict based on geography. You are content with the products approved for your region. Nothing baffling about that.