Blu-rays: Are You Region Free?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Blu-rays: Are You Region Free?

1. Yes

69.8%
  2. No

28.6%
  3. I don't own a Blu-ray player

1.6%
  1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I'm region-locked, only out of ignorance and laziness [I don't know how to mod my ps3 to play region-free :D ]. And I thought region-free players were more expensive, but it now sounds like that isn't the case.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I can side with Harry Warden, in that I have so many tons of "extras" in my collection that I'll NEVER get a chance to watch or listen to. And for the most part, don't care to. Like would I listen to a commentary or watch an entirely new movie I've never seen before? I'm almost always gonna go with a new movie.

However, there are things that interest me, whether it's a bonus feature or simply a movie that does not have an official US Blu release, and I like having a region-free player to watch it on. Doesn't take up much space in my AV rack at all. And some of those Arrow UK releases are simply amazing. For those not region-free, or planning to become region-free, I bet you'd change your tune in a short time if you saw some of those Arrow special editions.

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Region-locked. I could easily get a region free player but the truth is that while I have been buying more titles lately I have more unwatched than watched. I have maybe 4-6 hours a week where I could watch a new horror movie (or frankly, even read a book, exercise). I'm just so busy it makes no sense to open avenues to more unwatched films.

Also, Arrow and 88 Films are redefining the game a bit. It's not like the old days where I felt like I needed a PAL/NTSC playable DVD player to see anything.

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm surprised that there are actually those that seem to prefer not being region free. And that's fine, but the stance should come with a clause that bars one from whining when a desired foreign release is region locked. ;) ...Just kidding! (I'm not kidding) :p

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yes for over a year now and do not regret my decision for a second. There are so many UK disc that are better than their North American counterparts. Why wouldn't you want to be region free? And making a copy on a regular BD disc just isn't the same. If I wanted to do that I would just download a bunch of movies, burn them and call it a collection.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  6. Dave

Dave Pimp

It is the same - literally a bit for bit duplicate, sans the protection. I often stick the copied disc in a sleeve and put it into the case with the original disc. Works as a backup copy, too.

Downloading a bootleg isn't he same. For one, most bootlegs are a fraction of the original sizes. They are compressed and aren't the same quality on a/v as the bluray, plus don't have supplements. Yes, there are BD50 bootleg discs out there but then you aren't supporting the studio that released it and making it more difficult to get quality titles in the future.

7. Stige

Stige Active Member

Ditto

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

What kind of hardware mod are we talking here? Can it be DIYed?

The disc (Black Robe) will play in Panasonic players no prob, and my older Sherwood but only when I go into its settings and shut off all resolutions except for 1080i.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I don't know of any DIY hardware mods for Sony players. I ordered mine from Bombay with the hardware mod pre-installed.

Is this the release you own? Blu-ray.com says it has 50hz content, and it lists "1080 50i" on the back cover, so that's almost certainly your playback problem. Many Umbrella Entertainment releases seem to have 50hz interlaced content for some reason.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Seems like a hassle to me when you are going to buy the disc anyway just to throw another burt copy in the case. Unless money is an issue. Seems easier just to buy a player.

11. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Planning on gping region free this year either by buying a second player or getting a friend who knows his stuff to install a mod. At the moment my UK Panasonic BD80 plays pretty much every region locked BD I throw at despite it not being modded already thanks to the workaround you can do on these machines. Plays all the region A BDs I own apart from Shout Factory titles. I own stuff from Synapse, MGM, Fox, Kino and Millcreek

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the one. As I said, it'll definitely play in a Panasonic player, I'm just not quite willing to buy my third blu ray player in 4 years.

The funny thing is that before I ordered it from Deep Discount I knew that it wasn't an American release, but I falsely assumed that because it's a Canadian film that it was also a Canadian blu ray. Big mistake. If I realized that it was an Australian disc I would've researched it more. As it was it was more of a last minute gift for my wife to get my order above the minimum for free shipping.

13. Christy

Christy Member

I just recently went region free and I love it.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I dunno....I think if you already had the gear, and you only want a handful of non-Region As, it wouldn't be a big deal.

15. Stige

Stige Active Member

In my case, it's just the ease factor. first time cost is equipment and so on so yeah it's not cheap, but if my region free player breaks I can just get another regular player of better quality anywhere and not be annoyed abouy my , god knows how many, region A blu's.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Does the Oppo have a 1.5 FFW option? If yes does the progress bar obscure the screen?

One of the reasons I love my PS3 is that if a movie is dragging a bit or sucks outright I can press the fast forward button and save some time. When the PS3 is FFWing at 1.5 subtitles are still shown and the Audio is still playing. The progress bar is not obscuring the screen either. The only visual indication is a tiny icon in the bottom corner. Does the Oppo function in a similar way? TIA

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Does anyone make a high quality premium region free player? Like a player that is top of the line that might last a long time?

18. Katatonia

Hardware modified Oppo is top of the line, if you want to pay $600+

19. Katatonia

20. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

I recently bought my first region-free BR player after using my region-free DVD player for a decade. However, it started to grow old and it was time to put the old girl to sleep. Paid quite a hefty sum for the hardware modded BR player and I haven't had the chance to test its BR playing abilities, but my first Region A BR's are on the way! As for DVDs, it plays anything I throw at it! However, it seems as though european region-free players are a lot more expensive than their U.S. counterparts. I paid € 200 for a very basic Sony model.