Blu-rays: Are You Region Free?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Blu-rays: Are You Region Free?

1. Yes

69.8%
  2. No

28.6%
  3. I don't own a Blu-ray player

1.6%
  1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

They are very cheap in the U.S. I paid $150 for mine, and that was 4 years ago. Still works like a charm.

2. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I went with the spendy OPPO but I love it and wanted to go with quaility ;)

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Dave

Dave Pimp

Never bothered. I just make a "backup copy" bdr with region coding removed.

othervoice1 likes this.
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I knew that it was only a matter of time and even though there are other programs that do the same thing (albeit not as well...) I'm sure that their days are numbered too. Hell, DVDFab just announced that Passkey isn't going to support AACS 2.0 (4K BDs...)... This is an unbelievably sad day for general computing!!! AnyDVD HD is the heart and soul of my HTPC. :[

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, it sucks. AnyDVD HD was great to be region free and removing all the junk from discs.

I don't think I'll bother buying DVDFab, as it's likely to go AWOL also. I guess I'll just reinstall my 3rd BD-ROM drive in my computer and set the hardware region to "B" on that one. I'll still miss the other features that made burning easier, etc...

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I thought they were dropping region coding from UltraHD Blu-rays?

7. Katatonia

Yes, but it will still have copy protection and annoying user restrictions.

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

I use Makemkv; it will strip the protection and it is free while in beta. FYI you don't have to make an mkv; it will simply dump the bluray and strip the protection if you want.

9. Katatonia

Without having to rip/convert it to your HDD first? AnyDVD HD just did it "on the fly". Any programs viewed the discs as region-free without any of the copy restrictions. That's really what I'm looking for, something similar and automatic.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

You do not have to rip/convert it first. Well, I suppose dumping it to the hard drive is 'ripping' in a sense. If that is what you mean, then yes, you have to do that. There is a feature where you just tell it you want a copy of the blu place onto the hard drive -- copy protection will be removed. After that you would have to burn it with Nero or something.

For me, I simply do it because I like having my blus on external hard drives that I plug into my Kodi media streamer on my TV. I have four hard drives now, though I plan to get one more - a 4TB one to hold all the X-Files Seasons + Movies.

Katatonia likes this.
  11. Katatonia

gobad2003 likes this.
  12. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I FINALLY got finished scanning my entire BD collection to make sure the software had what it needed from OPD for all of my discs, went to the Redfox forum to verify the md5 on the installer I was about to back up with the cache, and saw that. Great news nonetheless though!!!

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway:

Are there any region-free players you can buy retail (i.e. Best Buy, Target, etc), or do you have to get them online?

Thinking about buying a new player, figured I might as well get a region free one if it's easy to get ahold of / same price. I can currently play Arrow's locked discs, but I have two German blu-rays that are locked (Radio Silence and The Cottage In The Dark Forest 2), so this would finally give me access to those.

Also, any player recommendations? Under $100 would be nice, but not a dealbreaker. Don't need 3D / 4K etc.

14. Katatonia

Technically, there are no "region-free" Blu-ray players...the region coding doesn't work the same as DVD. There are only Blu-ray players that are capable of multi-regions. You have to manually change the regions on a player somehow, typically by entering them on the remote.

You might still be able to buy a cheap player in retail that is capable of that, but they usually have restrictions and aren't capable of playing 50hz import discs, proper PAL conversion, etc.. You're just not going to find a good name brand player (Sony/LG/Panasonic/Samsung) in the retail sector that is multi-region out of the factory. It'll be some brand like Orei, etc. that probably isn't too great in quality. A name-brand player that has a hardware modification is the best way, and can be ordered for around $150 and up.

m@ggot and CPT HOOK like this.
  15. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I love mine. It's an Icom Bd780 3-D blu-ray player that you punch a code in to change the region. It was about $150 on Amazon.

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Hey, what's wrong with Orei? Mine has some minimal glitches but I've had it for about 5 years now. It plays everything I throw at it and handles 3D really well. It's not connected to the Internet and I've never needed to do a firmware update.

17. Katatonia

I basically just meant any Blu-ray players that you're likely to find in retail stores that can easily be multi-region "hacked" are brands that most people have likely never heard of. If it works for you, great... I don't think Orei even markets Blu-ray players anymore.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I know. I was just feigning insult. I don't think they are around anymore either. The Orei's were modded to be able to change the region code in the menu. You mentioned hardware modification. Would my PS4 theoretically provide a better overall performance than my Orei?

19. Katatonia

I honestly don't know, I'm not really very familiar with the PS4. It might, my first DVD player was a Daewoo brand, and when I bought a Sony DVD player shortly later, the A/V quality was noticeably far superior. But with Blu-ray players, I don't think there is as much difference...although people swear that Oppo's are noticeably better.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I've never seen an Oppo, but I've never heard a bad thing about them. Speaking of quality, on blu-ray.com the majority opinion concerning 4K is that it's a gimmick which isn't noticeably different from 1080p. Many state that early adopters are just justifying the cost. I don't know about you guys, but the $1500 I paid for a 55" 4K 3D Samsung is nothing compared to other TV's over the years. I can't wait to see my blu-ray's upscaled once I pick up a UHDBD player. I am ecstatic over the picture quality. For those of you who haven't seen the difference, I recommend stopping into a Best Buy or Costco to see how gorgeous these sets are.

Steel76 likes this.