Blu-rays that have LESS features then DVD counterpart

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by DanceEnergy24, Feb 13, 2011.

1. DanceEnergy24

DanceEnergy24 New Member

What movies do you all have on blu-ray that have LESS features than their DVD counterparts? I'm planning to get an HDTV and BD player within the next few weeks but this is a strange phenomenon that I've noticed for some movies. For example, the BD for Identity has an extra commetary track but only features the theatrical cut as opposed to the DVD having both the theatrical cut and the extended cut. The BD for Stir of Echoes is missing nearly all the featurettes on the DVD. I can see how some fans would be forced to have both DVD and BD of some of their favorite titles. What have your experiences been with this?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

There's literally a ton of Blu-rays that have less features than the old DVD releases. Honestly, it would be a long list to compile.

Often it's just little things missing, like the poster/photo gallery, or the theatrical trailer, etc.

The most recent one I can think of is Heavy Metal, which is missing all of those cool sketch and design galleries.

3. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

"The Fifth Element" BD has none of the extra features that were in the 2-disc DVD. That one pissed me off a bit, even if the BD only costs about $7. Still a bit annoying that I have to hold on to the DVD.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The biggest omission of bonus features that I can think of are the Twilight Zone seasons and the Alien Anthology. I appreciate that there needed to be cuts to accommodate the wealth of new material, but I would love to unload my old DVD sets.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

what was missing from the alien anthology?

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

A couple of the behind the scenes docs on th Alien Saga disc and the isolated alternate score on the original Alien disc. Not a big deal, but I won't get rid of them.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Actually here it is right from The Digital Bits:

There IS one thing missing from the original Legacy DVDs, which is the Alternate Music & Production Sound audio track on the original Alien special edition. It was intended to be included on the Blu-rays, but had to be dropped due to disc space concerns. However, keep in mind that not only do the original isolated score tracks for the original Alien and Aliens DVDs carry over, you also get NEW isolated scores for all four films. You'll also be happy to learn that yes, Sharpline Arts' excellent Alien Legacy documentary is finally included here, as is the 2001 Alien Saga documentary. And all of the older laserdisc archive material is here too. One additional note, however: If you have Image Entertainment's original Alien Saga DVD, you may wish to keep it. It includes a couple things not available on the Anthology or anywhere else, including 4 short Aliens production featurettes (Grunts in Space, Behind the Scenes and profile pieces on James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver) as well as a bit of uncut Sigourney Weaver screen test footage. Most of the same screen test footage is here on the Anthology, but it's been censored. So that's the breakdown of what's carried over here from previous DVD releases.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd/bdreviews102210.html

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Anchor Bay catalog titles: Behind The Mask, The Lost, The Girl Next Door, Jack Brooks, etc.

Some of the older Fox blu-rays are missing stuff too, like Speed or Mr. & Mrs. Smith. The Carrie blu-ray I own only has a trailer, but later they reissued it in a combo pack with the Special Edition DVD.

9. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I don't own any version but it looks like some features are missing from the 3-D Blu-Ray version of last year's PIRANHA vs the regular BD. I just got a 3-D TV so I want the 3-D version but hate missing out on deleted scenes and other extras. But really don't want to buy both versions at $30 bucks a pop.

On the other hand, I've noticed a lot of BD releases have more extras than their standard DVD counterparts. TRICK 'R TREAT (2009) is one I already upgraded for the bonus extras. Not sure if companies are still doing this but it seemed to be a common trend a couple years ago when they first really started pushing Blu-Ray.

10. Stige

Stige Active Member

the alphabet killer from anchorbay , got really bummed by an average picture and only a 5.1 soundtrack and NO features

especially after checking dvdprofiler and seeing the dvd was loaded.... oh well, not the best movie at least

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Anchor Bay/Starz are guilty as charged here. Besides many of their Blu-rays having NO MENU, they don't even carry over the subtitles (which were on the DVD releases) for the hearing impaired.

Unless it's a brand spanking new movie/release, or something like Evil Dead, you can forget about quality Blu-rays from them.

They still have the occasional excellent releases ('78 I Spit on Your Grave comes to mind most recently) — but otherwise the studio has gone to the crapper.

12. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Terminator and Behind the Mask come to mind.

13. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Armageddon & Tombstone

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I was shocked last night to find Last House on the Left has no menu, but is loaded all the features from both dvd releases. It was stunning to hit main menu and get a "prohibited" message, I was about to be returning some shit until I hit the pop-up menu.

Alphabet Killer does have Dusku's breasts, that has to count for something! Glad I went with the dvd on that one (it was under $5 shipped from amazon, and shipping is 2.98), esp. after hearing the BD doesn't look much better if at all.

I'd be pretty pissed about Piranha if I was 3-D ready right now too. No excuse to not include all the features from the BD (dvd has far less shit than either) either on a second disc, or have the 2D version on a second disc. I had to do some double takes in the store on release day.

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I know this is of topic, but with regards to piranha if you guys have region b capabilites on your player you can't go wrong with the uk release it comes on 2 discs and you get 3 versions of the film 1, Steroscopic 3D, 2, Anaglyph 3D with 2 pairs of glasses, 3, the 2D edition, the behind the scenes, audio commentary and deleted scenes, a great release, nice to get a better release here in the uk for a change!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  16. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

The Memento BD (from Sony) is a big downgrade from the LE DVD. Not sure if the upcoming new BD will be any better.

The Almost Famous BD is missing the theatrical cut that was included with the 'Bootleg' DVD version.

A lot of DVDs got SE versions, but bare bones BD editions. The better version of Revenge (1990) was only released on DVD, and the same could be said for xXx (2002).

17. Blackheart

Blackheart Member

Escape From New York sadly omits everything from the great special edition DVD a few years back.