BLU: Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection 10/2/12

Discussion in 'Classic' started by jstell, Jun 28, 2012.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Appropriate this gets announced today when I just got this Universal Monsters video game console in the mail today. Was pretty stoked when I found out it existed!

I'm pretty happy with my Legacy DVD sets, though. I love the movies, but unless this was about a 20-movie Blu-ray edition, it just isn't worth the money given my nostalgic ties to the perfectly good boxed sets they released years back.

2. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Was it a Blu-ray, though? This is not a title I am in the market for, so I was not paying the strictest attention.

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The Phantom of the Opera Blu-ray

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Milestone also announced they are working on a Blu-ray for Phantom of the Opera but it's been a long time coming now. The Image/Blackhawk Blu-ray is good but could be better. And since the Image Blu-ray had problems requiring replacements I've been holding off to see how Milestone's turns out before making a purchase.

I agree it seems unlikely Universal would release silent public domain films. However the leak list mentioned them and had been accurate up to this point. Also Universal posted on Facebook, "Of all the Universal Centennial Titles we are restoring this year, what are you most excited to see? Click here to see a list of all the films"

The link has:
    Dracula
    Dracula (Spanish)
    Frankenstein
    It Came From Outer Space
    The Bride of Frankenstein
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923)
    The Invisible Man
    The Mummy
    The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
    The Phantom of the Opera (1943)
    The Wolf Man

So it seemed plausible and still seems plausible that these two will get released although chances are much lower now. We may also get a chance at It Came From Outer Space in 3D soon as well.

I believe Universal has been tight lipped about what they have for Phantom/Hunchback in their vaults. Since there are no known 35mm prints of Hunchback that could be easily improved by even the most dire 35mm elements. I decided to be an optimist for once and I'm still sticking to that. :D

5. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

my official policy is now to wait on these big box sets. I was just in best buy and saw the alien legacy box set for $39.99. when i paid $45 for it a year ago i thought i'd struck gold. these things always drop. always. on the bond box, the hitchcock box, and probably this too, i think i'll bide my time.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

"Dracula" restoration:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6z9BsHgKz4&feature=player_embedded

Looks and sound even better than the HDTV version I saw a while ago :)

This Island Earth is another Universal Sci-Fi classic I would like to see on BD :)
    The transfer on the DVD was pretty good, but the colors are kinda faded, and it has a lot of print damage. So if they give it a BD release, I hope they do the same kind of restoration like they did on "Jaws", "Dracula", etc.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I'm with you on the Bond and Indiana Jones sets, but the Hitchcock one concerns me. Is it limited as say "The Big Lebowski", "Scarface" and the Kubrick set in which you can still get them anywhere (and usually cheaper), or is it limited as say "Watchmen Ultimate Edition" or the 2 Disc "Evil Dead" in which they're extinct in two months? I don't want to miss out on the Hitch set despite it's high price.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I too would prefer each series released individually with all of the sequels. Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man and Dracula's Daughter are two personal favorites I'd love to see in Blu. That said (for the right price) I may pick this release up.

10. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

If I catch this on a lightning deal or black friday deal I'll buy it in a heartbeat. I can't justify anything near full price on it though.

Same for the Bond set.

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It's $112 right now if you pre-order from Amazon. i just put my order in.

We can all wish this set was cheaper. But it's important to note that it contains the same films as the original Classic Monster Collection DVD release--and it's much cheaper. I got that set on sale for $149.99 back in the day. And half the films look pretty terrible. And the transfers are interlaced.

I think $112 is a fair price if these films have all undergone proper restorations. And based on that short restoration doc it looks like they have. Dracula looks and sounds dramatically better--with vastly better black levels and sharpness. And the audio improvements are pretty striking too.

I'd love to get the set cheaper. But it's a dream come true to think that we'll be able to see these films looking and sounding better than they did when they were new in a couple months. I'm looking forward to watching the whole set on Halloween.

12. cjg

cjg Active Member

Check out the price at AmazonUK its 50 dollars cheaper then Amazon USA I preordered it from there

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Minus the Spanish version of Dracula.

14. shape22

15. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

is the UK one region free or region locked? This is a set I would like to let friends and family borrow if they want so I do not want anything region locked unless its R1

16. shape22

There are no guarantees at this point. But apparently the vast majority of Universal releases are region-free--with the exceptions being films they license from other studios for distribution in specific territories. Since they own the rights to these films outright that shouldn't be an issue here--if tradition holds.

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

[​IMG]

French edition has a coffin box along with individual cases for each release using original poster art.

I was thinking about ordering the US edition over the UK because of the book but now I may just get the french because it's pretty damn sweet.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  18. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Accidental double post. See below.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  19. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  20. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Wouldn't dream of ordering this until I read some fan reviews.