BLU: Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection 10/2/12

Discussion in 'Classic' started by jstell, Jun 28, 2012.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I went ahead and pre-ordered the limited edition coffin seat from amazon uk - If I find out it is not region free before it is shipped Ill just cancel the order - i have a region free player but Id prefer to have this release be region free as I can see taking this to family or friends to watch or let them borrow. The only dvds I already owned of these was wolfman and creature from the black lagoon stand alone- and I will keep those since they have the extra movies this set will not have.

2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

FYI I guess a staffer at High Def Digest said he got this back from universal (7-23-12):

Dear Tom,

Please find attached list of all content in the UK Monsters box set including the subtitle and language info We can confirm it will be region free also.

Hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards

Universal UK

Dracula:

BONUS MATERIAL
    Centennial Trailer
    Dracula (1931) Spanish Version
    Introduction to the Spanish Version by Lupita Tovar Kohner
    Dracula: The Restoration
    The Road To Dracula
    Lugosi: The Dark Prince
    Feature Commentary by Film Historian David J. Skal
    Alternate Score By Philip Glass performed by the Kronos Quartet
    Dracula Trailer
    Dracula's Daughter Trailer
    Son Of Dracula Trailer
    House of Dracula Trailer
    Dracula Archives
    Monster Tracks Pop-Up Facts

English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, French, Italian, German, Spanish DTS Surround 2.0 Mono
    English SDH, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Now I have 3 different versions of this set pre-ordered. I'll definitely be sticking with this one if it houses the films in individual cases. I'm not a fan of the book packaging at all. I have a tough time getting discs back into The Planet Of The Apes book.

FYI, with shipping to the U.S. it shakes out to 40.57 British sterling, or $63.47. That works for me.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If it's anything like the French set it'll likely come with a booklet too. Unless the US edition follows up with their own coffin set the UK edition looks to be the one to get. Cheaper and better packaging make it a no brainer.

[​IMG]

5. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Thanks for posting the details everyone, I just pre-ordered the set from amazon.uk - $63 shipped is too good to pass up.

6. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

What the hell...Why is the U.S. version that much more expensive? Am I missing something?

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Who knows. I don't usually order the U.K. alternative, such as the "Alien Anthology" set despite the cheaper price however this is a no-brainer. I ordered this last week when it was slightly cheaper along with the limited "Return of the Living Dead" Steelbook Blu-ray for a total of $85 with shipping from Amazon.uk. I just ordered a region free blu-ray player for $160 from Bombay Electronics. Free shipping and a lifetime warrenty. I ordered it yesterday and it shipped today. Awesome. Now I need to get those great Studio Canal Hammer blu's! :)

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's excellent. I always love reading a review where the movie(s) exceed expectations. Kudos to Universal. I can't wait to watch "Creature From The Black Lagoon" in 3D. :)

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Ahh crap, they're awesome. That might throw a monkey wrench in my October viewing because I ain't paying $112 for that set. But that definitely looks like the way to go for a first viewing.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Amazon.uk has the collection in the very cool coffin for 41 pounds ($71.36 U.S.). The packaging of the discs is much better as well.

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

It wasn't mentioned in the review, but based on the screenshot of Van Helsing in front of the staircase and the screenshot of the newspaper article, the framing issues from the 75th Anniversary Edition appear to have been corrected.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Jesus, they must have screen grabbed every time Freund shine two lights in Bela's eyes.

Dracula looks great and everything else should be even better. Glad I pre-ordered the UK coffin set because I can't wait to receive it.

14. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I'm still dying to know if the UK coffin set is going to have individual digipak case inside for each movie like the French set advertises or if it's just the one large digipak case inside of the coffin.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

According to a review on Amazon.uk:

"I emailed Universal U.K. and was told that the coffin set would be region free and that the discs would be housed in digi packs (folded over cardboard with a plastic tray to hold the discs and NOT the stupid book thingy where the discs are held between pages of tight cardboard) the only possible downside to this set-up is that they said that it would be two discs per tray (one on top of the other, but not touching) which is a pain when trying to get at the bottom disc.

It also looks like the book will be included as a book and not a housing for the discs, as well as the movie poster cards."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-C...E8VY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348528902&sr=8-2

16. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Eh, I would have preferred to have it packaged like the French set, but oh well, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth as it still looks to be an amazing set. Can't wait till I get it in hand. Seems like I've been waiting forever for this thing! Thanks for clearing that up for me Buck.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

No sweat. I agree that the French set is ideal though. I'm just glad it isn't packaged in a book.

18. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

DVD Beaver has their review of Frankenstein up. Outstanding!

"Frankenstein looks marvelous on Blu-ray from the Universal Monsters Boxset. *The image quality showcases the rich grain with solid contrast and even occasional depth. *This is dual-layered with a high bitrate for the hour-10-minute classic. The visuals are dark which is probably accurate and detail rises nicely above past SD renderings. The high resolution identifies the wrinkled backdrops but I recall this was also present on the DVD as I'm sure it was in the original theatrical. Daylight scenes (the girl and the flower) seem the most impressive but overall this is without serious flaw. There may be a speckle or two but this Blu-ray has done a great job in processing the 1931 film to 1080P. It provides a stupendous presentation."

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews57/frankenstein_blu-ray.htm

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member