BLU: Universal Classic Monsters - The Essential Collection 10/2/12

Discussion in 'Classic' started by jstell, Jun 28, 2012.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Once again, Bluray.com differs from other reviews. I think their expectations are off the charts. Here's DVD Beaver's review of "The Wolfman."

"The Wolf Man on Blu-ray looks the best of the 5 previous I have seen from the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection. *Black levels are pitch in 1080P and the image quality is superb. Like the others, this is dual-layered with a high bitrate. There is a hint of gloss and detail is magnificent. Contrast exports healthy, rich visuals. There is no noise in the many dark nighttime scenes and only a few minor speckles.*This Blu-ray has touch of depth and overall looks extremely pleasing."

Here's Bluray.com's:

"The Wolf Man undergoes what initially appears to be a startling transformation from weathered seventy-year old film elements to painstakingly restored master to terrific 1080p/AVC-encoded video presentation. And it might look that good -- as good as most of its fellow classic monster movies -- if it weren't for one widespread prevailing issue: ringing. Wire-thin edge halos are apparent throughout the film (some scenes more than others) and become quite a nuisance; so much so that it warrants more than a mention. It warrants a warning. Otherwise, the image has a lot going for it. Grain is gentle and consistent, contrast is impeccably balanced, black levels are satisfying, midrange grays aren't hindered or disrupted in any way, and fine detail reveals subtleties and textures in the original photography the majority of us have never seen before. The encode is also free of macroblocking, banding and other errant anomalies, making for what could have been a prime presentation. But, oh, those halos..."

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree 100% Buck. It looks like they're back in nitpicking hyper drive mode again. I have a feeling we're all going to be very happy with this set.

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree. I can't wait to get this set. To be fair, the bluray.com review ends with all positive notes, however it doesn't say "Highly Recommended" or even "Recommended" as they usually do. The first sentence in bluray.com's summary for the collection as a whole is "The Universal Classic Monsters: Essential Collection isn't perfect." This is how the review for "The Wolf Man" concludes on DVD Beaver:

"The mainstays of the Universal Horror output was Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man. This has a superb build-up and to have film on Blu-ray for a Home theater late-night festival is thrilling. I doubt we're going to see it looking any better and we give the Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection a huge recommendation!"

I think the bluray.com's reviewer was given the Legacy DVD discs.

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't even trust blu-ray.com anymore. They said the same crap about their newest review of Fear and Desire and how "let's not nitpick - Fear and Desire looks absolutely wonderful in high definition" - then why ARE you nitpicking? If it looks so absolutely wonderful what's with the 3.5?

They're unfair with the way they grade films. They don't take into account a lot of issues that are inherent in the source. Or they DO and they just give it a lower rating.

~Matt

5. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I really appreciate the way blu-ray.com handles there reviews (99.9% of the time). When I read the Wolfman review I didn't think "oh no, what a travesty". I'm glad they mentioned the ringing and realized that wouldn't bother me. If you stick with a meticulous reviewer long enough you realize what things are show stoppers for you and what are not. I do like DVDBeaver reviews as well.

6. shape22

I agree. They've very picky--but generally very consistent about it. I have a good enough handle on their standards to know that the issues they mention in The Wolf Man review won't bother me. I also appreciate the fact that they expect perfection and mention even minor blemishes.

Damn I'm psyched for this release. I hope my overseas parcel gets here sooner rather than later.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

8. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

OK i am puzzled is the french set digi packed also? I really like the french set the best any thoughts?

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I think each movie has it's own case in the French set.

10. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thanks to a couple of the guys at my local Vintage Stock I was able to get a copy ($127 including tax) so the October viewing schedule I planned months ago will not be derailed. It is a nice looking package. I just hope I end up enjoying the films as much as you guys do. If not, it certainly won't be for a lack of presentation.

Tonight I start with Frankenstein.

Does anyone have strong feelings for any of the commentary tracks?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  11. shape22

The Wolf Man track with Tom Weaver is excellent Crikan. He moves lightning fast and offers a ton of interesting info. I really enjoy his track.

12. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

So nobody here purchased the french set aye?

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Nope. The U.K. set.

14. cjg

cjg Active Member

My copy shipped from AmazonUK. Will have it Oct 8. Got an E-Mail from them says I got a price decrease to.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Can't wait for my UK set to get here. Probably my most anticipated blu-ray release ever. Figures my estimated delivery date is Monday the 8th, Columbus Day. Post offices ate closed. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll show up Saturday.

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I bought the coffin set

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

As did I.

18. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

So did I but I'm going to sell it new on eBay. I'll wait for the US set to come down in price to around $70 or $80. Overall packaging and presentation is much better quality, imo.

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The coffin set is $65USD yet the ones on eBay are over $100+++. There really is a sucker born every minute whatever!

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I am planning on buying the US/ Canadian set. Yes, it is quite a bit more money but I think the packaging is definitely a lot nicer/ classier.

Also, the UK set is missing one of the commentaries for Dracula.