Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

So long Blue Underground! It was nice knowing ya! :lol:

2. dickieduvet

dickieduvet Member

I recieved this a few weeks back when I asked them Whatsup?????

Hello Rich,

Thanks for your email. We actually released new single-disc Blu-rays of ZOMBIE and MANIAC for Halloween! Many retailers requested these releases because they thought the 2-Disc Special Editions were too expensive for their customers and wouldn't carry them, so we complied with a cheaper alternative. We've also had numerous requests by our retail partners to release low-priced multi-feature DVDs, as they claim that is all people buy now. So we've been very busy releasing several waves of the MIDNIGHT MOVIES COLLECTION. Regarding the Larry Cohen Blu-ray releases, they are on hold for now due to licensing issues and/or lack of materials to do new HD transfers. Should those issues be resolved, we will announce the releases on our website. We are always trying to work out agreements with our licensors to release our catalog on Blu-ray, but it's really out of our hands as we rely on the licensor's interest and ability to do so. Many do not want to undertake the expense for new HD transfers or don't have the proper materials available to do so. We are also always looking to acquire new titles to release on DVD and Blu-ray, but we are rather picky and won't just release any old movie. But if all works out as planned, we should have some interesting new titles coming out in 2013.

Best regards,
    The Blue Underground Team

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

It's a good point on these cheaper alternatives - I thought Blue Underground Blu's initially were pricey, but they all seemed to find there way below $15 which is when I pounce. Now I think Shout! is out of their minds charging $20+ for all their titles. I have to wonder how many initial pressings these two companies do of their Blu releases. It doesn't seem like a lot of these titles are in jeopardy of going OOP which causes them to lower the prices which I assume would be inevitable for Shout! too, no? As much as we all love those movies I don't think they're in super high demand, then add the high price in today's economy makes me curious.

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Amen. I still haven't picked up H2 and H3 because I can't justify paying more than $15 for either of those discs. I really find it hard to believe they haven't gone on sale for that price yet.

5. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Agreed - I'm sticking with my Universal H2 and will get H3 when the prices go down. Did you see my update on the previous page about the Night Train Murders? Down to $10.49 on Amazon speaking of BU typically pricey Blu's. People definitely jumped on that shit - there were 14 left in stock when I ordered a few hours ago and now it says "ships 1-4 weeks".

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I did. Thanks for posting it. I almost ordered immediately because I think it's a damn good film--and the colored lighting must look fantastic in HD. But it's the type of film that doesn't have a lot of rewatch appeal for me. It's a serious downer. I don't have enough desire to revisit it to warrant an upgrade.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Very much agree. I would buy way more of their titles if they were more reasonably priced as well.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I have no problem with Scream's prices here in Canada. Been able to find most of their titles for $19.99, some like Deadly Blessing even cheaper at $13.99. If you know what the average Blu sells here in Canada then you will realize that these are great deals. Add in the fact that Scream is putting lots of effort into their releases; new extras, alternate covers, slipcovers, ect. From what I've read not many stores in US sell Scream's Blus, just their DVDs. Here in Canada just about every store sells their Blus; Walmart, BB, Futureshop, Cinema One, ect. Must be a US distribution thing.

BU Blurays on the other hand are ridiculously expensive here, $30+ range, so the only time I buy them is when they are on sale online that even with the high costs of shipping and duty is still a better deal. Still rather pricey considering their transfers aren't the greatest and they rarely create new extras any more.

9. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Looks like Blue Underground will be.releasing Snuff to Blu ray. Mmmmm not sure about this one altho cover art is pretty nice. Not sure if its a movie i would want to upgrade to BD with all the other catalogue titles they have.
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221204

10. Zombie Dude

This is interesting. I've been tracking down a lot of the Video Nasties I haven't seen yet and this is one of them. I have the file on my computer but have been reluctant to watch it. So far many of the films on the list have been excruciating to watch; and by that I mean they're damn boring. If this entertains me somewhat I'll consider buying it.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Worth mentioning, I don't know what MovieStop (?) is, but a bunch of people are reporting finding $4.99 Blue Underground blu-rays there.

12. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Although they are mostly backordered this is also live on their website...

Pick your flavor:
    Django
    Django Kills (If You Live Shoot)
    New York Ripper
    Torso
    The Crazies
    Zombie (single disc)
    Fire and Ice
    Toolbox Murders

Can anyone recommand or discourage Fire and Ice?

13. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Just out of interest which ones did you find boring? I went through a stage where i wanted to see every film in the final DPPs 39 list. Back then they were alot less readily available and you had to do alot more digging and research to find these movies. Now its easy as almost all of them can be picked up on DVD/BD. Alot of these were indeed poor but some I still enjoy today. As for Snuff it is an aweful film and real isnt a film I would want to own(sold my DVD years back as I knew I would never watch it again). Would love to see Blue Underground put out Mountain Of The Cannibal God on BD or even Fight For Your Life over Snuff.

14. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Snuff was really boring. Only worth watching for the last few minutes IMO.

15. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

16. Zombie Dude

So far Madhouse, Night of the Bloody Apes, The Ghastly Ones and, Werewolf and The Yeti were quite the drag. None of those titles are quite that "nasty" either. I don't have many more to go as I've already seen quite a few before. Most of the Nazi stuff is what's left for me. I'm hoping the final stretch isn't too bad lol.

Fight For Your Life was a good film. I'm surprised it got band. It's about black empowerment so I'm not sure what the deal was with their dislike for the film. Mountain of the Cannibal God is on the second list. I'm going to get around to checking that out once I'm done with the first.

17. Zombie Dude

Great, another one to look forward to :rolleyes: I heard the end is pretty much a joke anyway. It's not remotely real looking at all.

18. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Three of my favorites, haha.

19. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Night Of The Bloody Apes was abit of a blast actually. I never could find a truley watchable version of Werewolf and the Yeti. Best i have seen is on Youtube. I never saw the attraction The Witch Who Came From The Sea and could understand its inclusion on the list. The nazi movies were abit hit and miss with the best being The Gestapos Last Orgy.

20. Zombie Dude

:lol: I guess we all have different tastes, but those ones made me pull out my phone and play games whilst they played.
    I can see how and old school monster movie fan would like Night of the Bloody Apes. Werewolf and the Yeti was more a werewolf movie which guest stared a yeti for about 3 minutes of screen time. Plus it was a bore :lol: