Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DVDBeaver reviews and compares Deathdream: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_80/deathdream_blu-ray.htm

"The new 1080P transfer of Bob Clark's Deathdream is a welcome upgrade for fans of the film. This is the best representation of the film available on digital to date. Grain is prevalent and most likely a product of the original film quality and is not distracting. [...] Fans of Bob Clark, myself included, will surely find much to love about this long overdue upgrade to Blu-ray. Clearly a lot of effort has been put into this release and I can solidly say that this is a worthy purchase for anyone interested."

4. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Dead and Buried remastered edition coming!:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14742000&postcount=2156

I would imagine the set-up would be like the Stendhal Syndrome LE; remastered Blu and DVD copy with new extras, second DVD which is actually a reprinting of the original second disc and the CD (not that I'm complaining).

bruce h and fceurich39 like this.
  5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Cool I still have the 2 disc DVD limited edition of Dead & Buried will definitely get the new Bluray!

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

On a bit of a Soavi kick since getting the Scorpion blus of The Sect and The Church. Visited E-bay and found a copy of Stagefright for $17.50. Hope it's a good release, worth upgrading my old AB DVD...

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caps-A-Holic is one of the best resources if they have a comparison. I always use it before buying, especially if multiple releases are available since I'm region free. But as to Stagefright, yes it's a worthy upgrade: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=5076&d2=5077&c=2072

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I can never get into Stagefright. I've seen it twice now and was tuned out and bored by the end on both occasions. The Church was a similar experience. I've got The Sect to watch too and I fear it'll also drag on too much for my liking but we'll see.

9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Sect is my least favorite of the three but I really like Stage Fright and The Church is pretty good. The Sect is really forgettable IMO. I will of course get the limited slip edition.

10. Zombie Dude

Yeah I'm doubting I'm going to like it lol. Plus it's 2 hours which seems way too long for this type of film.

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The Sect is not 2 hours, it's only a little north of 90 minutes. But it is slow.

12. Zombie Dude

Not the version I have which is about an hour and fifty-something minutes including credits. Just double checked Google and it lists it as 2 hours too.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The uncut version is around 2 hrs long.

Edit: Doh! Zombie Dude beat me too it :D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, you're right. I just looked at my Scorpion Blu and the running time was listed as 117, just under 2 hours. No wonder I thought it was so slow! For some reason I thought it was about 97, so it certainly seemed longer. Because it was.

As for Stagefright, I think I've only watched it once since I reviewed it in around 2001 or 2002. Wow. At least 16 years ago. Where does the time go? Unfortunately, I've lost all the original Word docs of the reviews I did (scoured every hard drive I have, I must have inadvertently deleted the folder), and they're no longer archived on the site. Gonna have to talk to Dave and Rhett about that.
    Anyway, from what I remember, I felt a little disappointed that it's not a giallo; the killer is the escaped lunatic from the nearby asylum. That's no spoiler, it's in the first reel. Now, not every Italian film that's about a maniac killing people has to follow the giallo blueprint, but it's what we've come to expect from those filmmakers. Especially someone who was hyped to be the next Argento. If you're going to have the killer's identity not be a surprise (example, Halloween), you've got to do more to ratchet up the suspense, otherwise the characters are all just eventual victims.
    The good about Stagefright is the lighting and cinematography (be warned, the lighting is VERY 80s), and especially the setting: a group of characters in a single location for a single night. You can list a ton of horror movies that follow that motif and it still works for the most part.

My copy will be arriving some time this week, and I think I'm gonna give it a spin over the weekend.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Well I tried watching The Sect last week and ended up sleeping through it. I saw enough to remember I'd actually seen the film before and knew I wasn't missing out on much. The sleep was great though.

Steel76 likes this.
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

At this point, if we want to continue discussing The Sect we can do it in the Scorpion thread.

As for Blue Underground and Soavi, I did indeed get Stagefright last week and watched it. Really impressed with the transfer. After I placed the order on E-bay, I popped in the old Anchor Bay DVD and started having a bit of buyer's remorse, as the AB disc is very well done. But when I watched the Blu last week, I can see how much better it looks in HD.
    Now, as to the movie, it's a lot of fun. I found my old review here thanks to Suicide, and I gave it a C+ rating I think. That was a little harsh, it's definitely a solid B movie. And you can take that in more ways than one. It does slow down a bit at the beginning of the Final Girl chase, but other than that it's an enjoyable movie from a period after the heyday of Italian horror that's not an attempt to cash in on Demons (pretty much the last gasp of Spaghetti Horror).

zbinks likes this.
  17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

18. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

19. foller

foller Active Member

I found at least 8 movies with this title. We need more details.

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The following films were all shot in 35mm, to my knowledge, and none of them seem like particularly likely candidates for a 4K restoration through Blue Underground:

On the Run (1958)
    On the Run (1963)
    On the Run (1971)
    Country Blue (1973)
    On the Run (1983)
    Running Hot (1984)
    On the Run [Mong ming yuen yeung] (1988)

I have a feeling the film in question isn't widely known as On the Run. Any chance this was a working title for Maniac?