Blue Underground going Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Crystal Plumage, Mar 1, 2008.

1. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Awesome! One of my favorite revenge flicks, Will be upgrading my old blu for sure :D Who would have thought that Blue Underground would have become one of the leaders in releasing UHD for cult and Horror films.

Nailwraps, Katatonia, Steel76 and 2 others like this.
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I never liked Vigilante much so my BD copy is sufficient. I felt the film was "amateurish" in general. Someone wake me when they announce Dead & Buried.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Blue Underground posted this picture on FB, and asked people what movie it was from.
    [​IMG]

Seems like Dead & Buried is finally on the way :)

4. elDomenechHDG

Isn't this, like, an old post?

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

No.

elDomenechHDG likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They better not be pulling a Synapse with that tease. I doubt we're getting anything significant as not that long ago they said the negatives were lost.

I don't mind an occasional bump to push their products, but companies need to be a little smarter about how they do it online where something simple can get blown way out of proportion.

elDomenechHDG and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It's "Pretty Woman" 1990. That was too, too easy.

What's funny is I, after all these years...finally watched the Limited DVD set of DEAD & BURIED. All this talk about "Flash Gordon" made me want to see Melody Anderson so I finally watched it. I forgot Lisa Blount and Chris Allport were in this, too. Great re-visit. I had seen the film on Showtime in 1982 and I have not seen it since then. It's like a lost Stephen King story. I really like it, as I always have but the DVD had some low volume dialogue so I'm hoping a newer, more remastered release would grant subtitles. I'll spring for that. Absolutely.

8. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

BU announcing Dead & Buried as a 4K release for 2021 on Facebook.

I knew this was coming from a friend who worked on the film - but nice to see it official.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Zoinks! They did!:
    https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158481350035149&id=117400280148&refid=46

Amazing, well that's what I get for believing the internet: http://www.horrordvds.com/community/threads/blue-underground-going-blu-ray.36049/page-71#post-867594

But then I originally heard they found the negatives online too so who to believe? o_O

But in any event great news. I actually sat out the Blu-ray hoping for a new transfer. This always rested on a mental shelf with Lemora in the, "maybe some day" section. So thrilled to see this.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  10. elDomenechHDG

It's great that they're telling us upfront that a 4K is coming and they're not pulling that tired "buy our fancy lenticular slip Blu-ray now" schtick and then coming out with a 4K five months later. I was ready to grab that new Blu day one but now I can wait.

Zombie Dude, russweiss and Steel76 like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to find a good place to get some of their new 4k releases, but damn are all the ones I'm finding expensive. For 2 movies it's been working out around $85AUD. That's pretty steep.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. Steel76

Sweet! From what I read, the blown-out highlights in House by the Cemetery (during the daytime scenes on the Blu-Ray) are not an issue anymore, on the UHD :)

From a user review:
    "Most significantly for my setup, gone are the blaring, hazy, unpleasant lighting conditions that flooded into all the windows in every interior shot on the prior blu ray making the afternoon interiors look milky and blinding, such as in the realtor's office. You can now actually discern what is on the OUTSIDE of those windows, looking out from the inside. Gone are the harsh, smeared, blown-out skies in daytime outdoor settings, as well. Lighting conditions in general are much more natural throughout the entire presentation. Late mid-day exterior shots now actually look like late mid-day. Gone is the glaring refraction of unnatural light off the side of buildings and vehicles. And while daylight has been reigned in, the balance of the film's darker interior scenes and night scenes enjoy a nice boost in detail and clarity, also looking natural and fairly clean. Given the challenges that the footage presents, I feel BU has done a phenomenal job balancing and finely tuning the contrast, lighting, and detail, with outstanding results, especially compared to any prior release."

Katatonia likes this.
  15. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

that's all fine and dandy...

but this shouldn't have been an issue on their 3-disc set, no way will i upgrade again

hots4 and m@ggot like this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Isn't it often the case that when these prints are mastered in 4K with HDR in mind that it makes them hard to port to bluray without minor issues like this?

Of course I'm assuming BU went into these remasters likely knowing they wanted to do some UHD discs moving forward. I totally disagree with their dishonest release approach though. They basically baited people into thinking those bluray's were all we were going to get. Put a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths, especially those that forked out the high price those blu sets were going for.

Steel76 likes this.
  17. Steel76

I'm probably gonna wait upgrading these two.
    There not limited, and I don't care for the slipcases, since it's the exact same image as the front cover anyways.

I'm more looking forward to UHD upgrades of Dead & Buried, and hopefully The Prowler in a near future.
    Also, we need more NEW titles, and not just another round of the same bunch of titles.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Based on semi-recent interviews and podcast appearances with Bill Lustig, I don't get the impression he has much interest in new title acquisitions. Too many labels competing for the same titles and something to the effect that only 20% of the catalog ever generated any significant profits for Blue Underground, with the remaining 80% effectively breaking even.

19. elDomenechHDG

More companies need to be like Synapse: do it mostly for the love of cinema. Well, not exactly like Synapse - I'd like to see more than one Blu-ray a year :p

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I agree with you and Synapse, It's a shame they don't produce more. I don't expect them to put out the product like VS does but if they could be at about 33 - 50% of their output I for one would be happy.