Blue Underground not quite dead yet!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Read the interview.Some genuinely nice things here:
    http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/blue-underground-forgotten-70s-cinema-interview-with-bill-lustig/

Which to me means they don't actually quit the business...
    Franco Nero and Castellari = [​IMG]:banana: :cool:

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I love Blue Underground. I've bought so many titles sight-unseen just because they were released by them.
    I wonder if I should buy doubles of their releases before they fold?

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Good to hear Lustig might not call it quits after all. Blue Underground is my favorite DVD label!

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Agreed. Don't give up the fight, Lustig, keep up the excellent work!

5. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

its great that blue underground will be with us for a while yet. what was amazing was how fast noshame tanked! i loved that label.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Same here, I've picked up a lot of Blue Underground releases as blind buys and am never disappointed! :) Just watched again this past weekend their 2 disc Daughters of Darkness & The Blood Spattered Bride double feature. Nice dvd package there with generous supplements.

I would really like to see BU stick around. They have turned me on to so many great European films I never saw before. One of my favorite labels ever!

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Blue Underground's not going to fold, they're just not going to produce much if any new titles after the ones Lustig mentions in the interview. It's not so much about the money since they're not in financial trouble. Lustig's just lost interest in producing DVDs and the market's not as easy as it use to be so he's putting it on the back burner that's all. Can't blame the guy.

I think it's great news that he's getting back into production. Sure I'm not an Uncle Sam fan or anything but I'm happy Lustig's going back to doing what he loves most. If someone has the desire I'd rather see them making movies then distributing them.

8. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I wouldn't mind a new job doing what he does. I've always wanted to run a DVD outfit. ;)

9. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan Member

My guess is that Lustig doesn't want to continue with DVD right now since HDTV is the future.

I can see them re-releasing everything eventually on HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray and that would take a while to do with just the titles they already own let alone new titles.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I doubt that is the reason. If you read the interview, Lustig says he doesn't think high definition DVD will take off because it is a niche market, and he thinks that DVD will be around for quite a while yet.

11. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan Member

I guess I should have read the interview which I didn't LOL

I'd still like either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray to "take off" but only one format ... one needs to die.

I haven't gone either way yet as I am waiting for a winner unless it turns out that both survive and combo players become the norm.

Either way I think we have a bit of a wait yet ...

12. BLUE UNDERGROUND = AMAZING. one does have to wonder though, these companies are EVENTUALLY going to run out of movies to release. yes there were plenty of crazy films released from the 60s through the 80s but theyre not an infinite amount.

13. ducktree

ducktree Guest

Likewise, some of the best films I never knew existed and can't possibly live without.