Blue Underground update

Discussion in 'General' started by Jimbo, Mar 10, 2005.

1. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

And why not? Why should Blue Underground be shackled into releasing only horror/exploitation flicks?

Although I'm not particularly interested in seeing the film, there's certainly nothing wrong with the company releasing them... Almost every film ever made deserves a quality film release, and with Blue Underground a film is most likely to get very good treatment.

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

From the "ABOUT US" page at Blue Underground:

I'm not against BU releasing other stuff besides horror/exploitation, but there's your answer.

3. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

I'm not against Blue Underground either, but STARSTRUCK, NEWSFRONT sure doesn't sound like it is about psychopaths, cops, robbers, zombies, cannibals, madmen, strange women and more, with an audience often comprised of the same.

But thumbs up for the BLIND DEAD set!

4. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I'm gonna pick up The Blind Dead Collection, most definitely. I'll also pick up The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, The Big Racket & The Heroin Busters.

5. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

They also don't sound like conventional entertainment or something that you would see in mainstream theaters, therefore I think that they apply. They're certainly cultish in the sense that I'm sure there are a small devoted group of followers behind both films. I certainly haven't heard of either film.

Is it really all that surprising that Blue Underground doesn't limit there films to subjects involving "psychopaths, cops, robbers, etc. etc.?" Why should they limit themselves?

Did a little background check and the director of NEWFRONT went on to direct the awesome minimalist nautical thriller DEAD CALM in the late 80s... all of a sudden I'm interested in the film.

6. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

More info on STARSTRUCK...

Who would have guessed that Australian director Gillian Armstrong would follow the acclaimed period piece "My Brilliant Career" with this wildly colorful and outrageous New Wave musical? As it turns out, both films are about independent and talented young women who overcome their limited means and family struggles to triumph as artists -- in this case, barmaid Jackie (the delightful Jo Kennedy) gets to sing at the big New Year's show at the Sydney Opera House and make enough money to save the family hotel.

Visually inventive, "Star Struck" features a terrific, energetic cast and lots of great music (buy the soundtrack, it's worth it). Something of a cult film in the U.S., it's a movie that deserves discovery.

I'm glad BU are releasing it... I'll check the trailer on their site when they put it up. Sounds like it has potential.

7. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

OK then, but do let me know if NEWSFRONT and STARSTRUCK did not fancy you after viewing for I think will buy these two used if ONLY the word of mouth is good, so I might buy yours if you were disappointed with them!